MattyG
Right Handed
15#
PAP 5 3/8 right, 3/4 up.
Speed 15.5 on camera
300 rev rate
low axis rotation
med/high axis tilt

Drilling: {85} x 4 1/2 x 70 Drill angle is not relevant.
Surface prep: 2,000. Did not have 3,000 to replicate box finish.

Likes: Smooth move of the dry without sacrificing any hitting power

Dislikes: Even with the big VAL the ball still needs to longer patterns to maintain its energy through the pins.

Review: Upon getting the Venom Strike I was looking for a ball in my arsenal that could handle longer patterns. In the past I have drilled up equipment that should have worked but just never gave me the ability to blow them away. The Venom Strike was just that ball. The "pin under" layout makes the ball roll up early and have a predictable and consistent move of the dry. It is the kind of ball that you know will strike when it is at 20'. So much equipment today stores it's energy for the last 10'. With that comes the dreaded "over/under" reaction. The Venom Strike is nothing like that! I was surprised to see how much oil it did take to keep the Venom Strike's fangs full though. On shorter house patterns I had to get very deep and spin the ball for it to store enough energy to get back to the pocket. If that is the case, I always have the Primal Scream that gives me a deep angular look, with a lot less effort. That being said, I did us the Venom Strike more in the track area and adjusted with speed on my league night. League is on a 42' pattern that I usually wind up playing a breakpoint between 10 and 12. With the Venom Strike I was able to play 7 -8 and it just found the pocket like a Mack truck.

Conclusion: Drill this ball with a higher VAL angle and just move the pin distance to control where you want it to start to break from. Ball will be great on longer patterns for most. Speed dominate players can take advantage of the Venom Strike's ability to get into a roll early on any pattern. Don't be fooled. The Venom Strike is true to it's name. It looks as if it is trapping the pins into a corner and the strike is inevitable.

MattyG
BowlerX Staff member

UBowling
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I like the camera used to film this review, I would like to have this for our reviews.

On another note, I think I just watched this guy shoot a 900 ser

MattyG3535
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Just to let you know my method of review. I shoot 3 angles so you can see the ball motion, transition points and entry power. I start as far right as I can. After I strike I move left a little and try again. I keep moving until I have gotten as far as I can ON FRESH. I do not burn a spot in before. I do the same with the sport shots. As far as the camera. I spent way too much on thing. $1,000. Problem is that it records in a blu-ray format that works with nothing. I have to convert it to do the editing. Wish you could see the raw footage. AMAZING quality.
I am not going to lie and say I do nothing but strike. It takes about 3 games on each shot to get the necessary shots to make a video. I don't know too many people who bowl league and move 2 and 1 after every shot. Just trying to give you an idea of the range the ball is capable of striking on with my style of bowling. That is why I use the tape on my PAP too. It would be a pretty boring video to just shoot nothing but strikes off the same line.
If you have any suggestions on how to make my videos better, please let me know.
P.S. I have been bowling for 5 years now. I still am yet to have a 300 or 800. Feel it coming though.