PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Seems to Use a Different Ball

HughScot
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
In reading tons of these forum posts, especially the new scores, it seems as if no one ball is prevalent. This is rather amazing compared to other sports (golf and tennis). No one manufacturer is that strong. I wonder if this is because everyone just likes to try different balls to improve one's score. Any comments?

75lockwood
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
It's all about personal Preference, compared to golf where a driver is a driver, bowling balls very immensely, sure the are all round, tend to hook and hit pins, depending on your style and the lane conditions, the ball(s) you use are all different!

a 600 rev 13 mph cranker that only bowls on a dry ths probably shouldn't be using a nightmare... where as a 250 rev 21mph stoker that bowls on extremely heavy oil would make a slingshot look like plastic

Cuda K5
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
every ball works in different conditions. I can start out a game with 1 ball and switch a few different times before the 1oth frame. the lanes dry up very fast in my league

MisterSinister
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
It's also because there ate so many new released balls each year. Each company puts out 10 or more new balls a year. Someone shopping for a high end Storm ball last year would have ended up with a Virtual Gravity Nano, of Nano pearl. If your shopping for the same thing this year, your looking at the Lucid, or IQ. Not everyone buys a new ball constantly, so you end up with different equipment. My buddy has a Storm Invasion, that's 3 years old and he loves it. I bowled with a guy last night who had an 8 year old Columbia that he refuses to stop using, even if his friends (me included) think his average would go up 10 pins if he bought a ball made some time after president Bush was in office.

GoodGorilla
11-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I started out with a Brunswick because I won an auction on ebay just to start me out. The ball sucked, so I did some reading and watched some videos of pros using different equipment. I ended up buying 4 storm balls, for some reason I felt I should stick with one brand to get the feel of it before moving to another. The only beef I have with storm was tricking me into buying a Polar Ice ball which was advertised as a spare ball. It's so bad as a spare ball, horrible. It's a dry lane ball.

MisterSinister
11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
The Polar Ice is not advertised as a spare ball. The Storm ad says the Ice lineup includes a polyester ball for spares (currently the Black Ice is the spare ball.) It then goes on to say that the Polar Ice is an expansion of that line, and has a urathane coverstock. If you want a true spare ball, then you don't want urathane. You want plastic, or polyester. While it is not the clearest ad in the world, they didn't lie to you.

Cochese
11-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I actually play a lot of golf and I think the bowling balls are a lot like golf equipment. They are all similar in design from a general view, but also each manufacture has proprietary technology (coverstock, core design, etc) that they advertise as setting themselves apart. Same with golf equipment. Each manufacturer says their driver design and the construction materials make them better.

In all reality, the most valuable thing would be getting something acutally fitted for you. In golf, it's loft, lie angle, shaft lengths, shaft stiffness, etc. I would be willing to bet this is also true for bowling equipment. If you get a ball from any manufacturer that is set up for you by someone who knows what they are doing, you would get good results from most brands.

Gmjmma
11-13-2012, 02:09 PM
there was a guy who bowled a 246,296,300 in my league last weds with a columbia 300 rubber ball from i think he said the late 70's

panbanger
11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
That's where the money is in the sport. Not getting the scores you want? Try a new ball! Uh-oh, the first game is almost over, time to switch balls! I'm bowling at a place with slightly less/more oil than I'm used to, what kind of ball should I get? etc...

Maybe it's just the old-school part of me that doesn't want to change with the times, but I think for the average league bowler on a typical house shot, two balls is enough. One for strikes one for spares. Of course there are plenty of people who dont even need a ball for spares.

Zothen
11-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I have 7-8 balls! 2-Heavy oil(asymmetrical & drilled different),1-Medium Heavy(symmetrical),2-Medium oil(1 asymmetrical & 1 symmetrical),1-Light/medium(symmetrical),1-Dry lane(symmetrical)and a spare ball. All are used for THS and Sport leagues depending on lane conditions.

The question I get is why so many balls? Answer-Because i'm a serious bowler and need to change balls for the conditions I bowl on,where as the recreational bowler can get away with a benchmark ball and spare ball because he will only bowl a THS and occasional tournament and doesn't care about average.

Zothen

UBowling
11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
For the most part, each manufacturer has a signature reaction they use for their equipment and some bowlers prefer one or the other. So far this year the most prevalent ball I have seen used and one of the most popular is the Storm IQ Tour Edition. But even the people using it switch to a different ball on certain conditions. It is like trying to use a Driver the whole time you are golfing and never switching to any of the irons or putter. Bowling balls are like tools, each one is designed for a specific purpose and then customized by each bowler to do something even more specific.

HughScot
11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
The question I get is why so many balls? Answer-Because i'm a serious bowler and need to change balls for the conditions I bowl on,where as the recreational bowler can get away with a benchmark ball and spare ball because he will only bowl a THS and occasional tournament and doesn't care about average.

Zothen

I'll tell you something....people care about averages. Everyone I bowl with is over 55 (mixed) and not a one is content with how they bowl or their score unless really above their average. I was surprised since they all said it was just for fun.....ha! I am very competitive and will strive to bowl better until I'm dead but these folks are wild. The women probably the worst.

Zothen
11-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I know that in the 6pm leagues the only thing people seem to care about is drinking,smoking and getting home. The 9pm league were serious about our averages! Actually I care about my average weather it's early or late league.

Zothen

noeymc
11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
id fit right in i always gotta be the best =D

HughScot
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
I know that in the 6pm leagues the only thing people seem to care about is drinking,smoking and getting home. The 9pm league were serious about our averages! Actually I care about my average weather it's early or late league.

Zothen

Smoking???? That'll kill ya.

noeymc
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
so will driving

75lockwood
11-13-2012, 09:04 PM
so will driving

how do you figure driving will kill you? driving won't kill you... now crashing, that will kill you.

just the same speed won't kill you, suddenly stopping is your problem :p

GoodGorilla
11-14-2012, 07:11 AM
The Polar Ice is not advertised as a spare ball. The Storm ad says the Ice lineup includes a polyester ball for spares (currently the Black Ice is the spare ball.) It then goes on to say that the Polar Ice is an expansion of that line, and has a urathane coverstock. If you want a true spare ball, then you don't want urathane. You want plastic, or polyester. While it is not the clearest ad in the world, they didn't lie to you.

This is the description on the Storm page for the Polar ICE

"POLAR ICE™ - RED/PURPLE

Description
Tech Specs
Videos
Accessories
Downloads
Release Date: December 2011
The Ice™ line has included polyester coverstocks in a variety of styles that have ranged from the Mainframe™ and Team Storms with the Ultra Clear™ polyesters to the original Ice Storms designed primarily to help you ‘ice’ your spares on every attempt.
The new Polar Ice balls expand the Ice line with a new U1S™ urethane coverstock available in both solid and pearl. U1S is a first generation material that is more controllable than U2S™ which powers the popular Natural™ series.
The Polar Ice’s traditional 3-piece core enhances predictability while the urethane coverstock ensures durability that other materials just can’t offer. And they are available in lighter weights! In addition to the standard 10-16 pound options, Storm is pleased to offer both 6 and 8 pound options as well. "

To a beginner this isn't very clear. I figured that U1s Urethane was a polyester hybrid because the ball has the Ice name to it which all the other balls are spare balls. The most confusing like is how the description begins at the top. It isn't a lie, but it is misleading to an newbie.

GoodGorilla
11-14-2012, 07:20 AM
For the most part, each manufacturer has a signature reaction they use for their equipment and some bowlers prefer one or the other. So far this year the most prevalent ball I have seen used and one of the most popular is the Storm IQ Tour Edition. But even the people using it switch to a different ball on certain conditions. It is like trying to use a Driver the whole time you are golfing and never switching to any of the irons or putter. Bowling balls are like tools, each one is designed for a specific purpose and then customized by each bowler to do something even more specific.

I have a regular IQ, it has a shorter length decent amount of hook. It took me awhile to realize the ball works only well where there is much oil, like the center or the lane or oily conditions. It is a horrible benchmark ball I would think, unless your lane is generally oily. I think my Fire road is a better benchmark ball.

MisterSinister
11-14-2012, 07:44 AM
This is the description on the Storm page for the Polar ICE

"POLAR ICE™ - RED/PURPLE

Description
Tech Specs
Videos
Accessories
Downloads
Release Date: December 2011
The Ice™ line has included polyester coverstocks in a variety of styles that have ranged from the Mainframe™ and Team Storms with the Ultra Clear™ polyesters to the original Ice Storms designed primarily to help you ‘ice’ your spares on every attempt.
The new Polar Ice balls expand the Ice line with a new U1S™ urethane coverstock available in both solid and pearl. U1S is a first generation material that is more controllable than U2S™ which powers the popular Natural™ series.
The Polar Ice’s traditional 3-piece core enhances predictability while the urethane coverstock ensures durability that other materials just can’t offer. And they are available in lighter weights! In addition to the standard 10-16 pound options, Storm is pleased to offer both 6 and 8 pound options as well. "

To a beginner this isn't very clear. I figured that U1s Urethane was a polyester hybrid because the ball has the Ice name to it which all the other balls are spare balls. The most confusing like is how the description begins at the top. It isn't a lie, but it is misleading to an newbie.

I don't think they made it misleading on purpose. It may not be worded the best, but I don't see how tricking newbs into buy the wrong ball is good for them. If you get the wrong ball, then you resent the company. So when you srtart looking for new stuff, you start looking a differnt comanies. That's not good for them in any way. They want to keep you happy, so you keep coming back. This is an industry that thrives on repeat customers. Maybe someone at the advertising dept needs to take a permanent vacation. Your ball driller should have been able to set you straight as well. If he knew that you were buying this ball for spares (which you should have made them aware) then they should have told you it is not a spare ball. If you driller knew, and didn't set you straight, time to find a new driller. If I were you, I would call Storm, tell them your stroy. Worst they can do is nothing, which is what happens if you just let it go. But if you call, tell tem how much you are getting ino bowling, and you plan on buying new balls, bags, gloves, ect, for you and you family for the next 30 years, and now your thinking of switching to DV8, then maybe they will take care of you.

GoodGorilla
11-14-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't think they made it misleading on purpose. It may not be worded the best, but I don't see how tricking newbs into buy the wrong ball is good for them. If you get the wrong ball, then you resent the company. So when you srtart looking for new stuff, you start looking a differnt comanies. That's not good for them in any way. They want to keep you happy, so you keep coming back. This is an industry that thrives on repeat customers. Maybe someone at the advertising dept needs to take a permanent vacation. Your ball driller should have been able to set you straight as well. If he knew that you were buying this ball for spares (which you should have made them aware) then they should have told you it is not a spare ball. If you driller knew, and didn't set you straight, time to find a new driller. If I were you, I would call Storm, tell them your stroy. Worst they can do is nothing, which is what happens if you just let it go. But if you call, tell tem how much you are getting ino bowling, and you plan on buying new balls, bags, gloves, ect, for you and you family for the next 30 years, and now your thinking of switching to DV8, then maybe they will take care of you.

I don't plan on changing companies over this. But I did believe for the longest time that it was a spare ball, until I made the judgment on the ball over time by using it in many different ways. After that, I looked to find a new spare ball which I have a Path, and when I was looking for that spare ball I discovered the facts about the Polar Ice in writing, which was better explained than the description on the web page. Anyhow the ball fits well into my arsenal, so I'm not disappointed. It is a great dry lane ball for sure, it's probably better that I have the ball the way I got it, because I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

MisterSinister
11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
That's cool, as long as you have use for the Polar Ice. I have to pick up a urathane ball soon.

billf
11-14-2012, 06:46 PM
I've used several different companies myself. Almost all make decent balls. One company in particular ticked me off with horrendous customer service so I left them and bought a new arsenal. Now I have a bunch of balls that are smelly paper weights. Going to DV8 was the best decision I've made. Their balls work for me and the customer service has been exceptional.
I would prefer using anything made in the USA but if the company can't meet my needs, wants and desires while another can, I'm left with no choice.

75lockwood
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
I've used several different companies myself. Almost all make decent balls. One company in particular ticked me off with horrendous customer service so I left them and bought a new arsenal. Now I have a bunch of balls that are smelly paper weights. Going to DV8 was the best decision I've made. Their balls work for me and the customer service has been exceptional.
I would prefer using anything made in the USA but if the company can't meet my needs, wants and desires while another can, I'm left with no choice.

I wonder what brand your referring to.... lol

put them to good use! find a stinky place to put them!

kmf
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Now that I think of it, this is sad. Every ball I've ever had my dad bought. I currently have a Reckless that I use and a Tropical Heat to get plugged and drilled.

75lockwood
11-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Now that I think of it, this is sad. Every ball I've ever had my dad bought. I currently have a Reckless that I use and a Tropical Heat to get plugged and drilled.

So i assume if you show up one day with a lucid your dad will disown you? LOL

kmf
11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Not quite. He bought or some how got my the Tropical Heat. He even said he would pay for the plug and drill. I've just been too lazy to get to the pro shop. He won't let me use the old balls he has here though and absolutely wouldn't pay for one of that brand.

75lockwood
11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Not quite. He bought or some how got my the Tropical Heat. He even said he would pay for the plug and drill. I've just been too lazy to get to the pro shop. He won't let me use the old balls he has here though and absolutely wouldn't pay for one of that brand.

"or some how" lol

bill! get off your butt and take your daughter to get the air freshener drilled! ;)

billf
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
She has a vehicle at her disposal and knows how to get there.

BTW, the somehow was Trent was mad and gave the Tropical Heat to me to give to her. He was dumbfounded that she didn't have a dry ball.

Brother_jd
11-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Bill. You want to sell any of those air freshners?

MICHAEL
11-15-2012, 01:14 AM
I have found out that the RIGHT BALL, Drilled for YOUR style of bowling, on what type of oil pattern is VERY IMPORTANT! Once you have that, Great scores are going to happen,,,, ( If you know how to bowl, and take a few lessons)!! A person can purchase the WRONG ball, I have found that out. It not always the most expensive ball that will give you the BEST results!! Another lesson I have learned! Do your home work, and talk to the driller, make sure he knows your style, and maybe watches you throw the ball! Without him knowing your style, ITS ALL GUESS WORK!! IMHA!!

LonelyBowler
11-15-2012, 05:24 AM
To me I feel like all balls are the same and people are just buying based on their favorite bowler or color at this point.

MisterSinister
11-15-2012, 07:27 AM
To me I feel like all balls are the same and people are just buying based on their favorite bowler or color at this point.

What make you say that?

GoodGorilla
11-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Most new people do. In fact when I bought my first reactive ball, a massive damage. I thought that very thing. Well, I hated that ball, so my next ball I got a virtual nano that I had a specific layout I wanted on it. When I took it to the driller, he said he couldn't put the layout on it because of the pin location. It was a long drive to the pro shop and I really really, wanted to walk out with a ball so I bought a ball from him my IQ. At this point I felt that more hook is a stronger ball reaction, so I wanted the strongest cover stock. The ball that couldn't be drilled was sent back to bowlingball.com and they were nice enough to exchange the ball for a fire road. While researching the ball reactions for which ball to get I noticed that the balls had a oil condition recommendation for each ball. Over time, I have learned though trial and error that when they tell you what condition the ball is for, they really mean it. If I throw a ball on a condition that the ball isn't made for, it doesn't perform as well as a ball that is made for the condition. Well companies all have their own versions of balls for what oil patterns, but I have discovered probably obvious to most, but all the balls made for an oil pattern react differently from manufacturer to manufacture. I've noticed this by watching numerous ball reaction videos on You tube. One ball I thought I would like, but didn't after watching a video was the Nexxus (P+R)

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Most new people do. In fact when I bought my first reactive ball, a massive damage. I thought that very thing. Well, I hated that ball, so my next ball I got a virtual nano that I had a specific layout I wanted on it. When I took it to the driller, he said he couldn't put the layout on it because of the pin location. It was a long drive to the pro shop and I really really, wanted to walk out with a ball so I bought a ball from him my IQ. At this point I felt that more hook is a stronger ball reaction, so I wanted the strongest cover stock. The ball that couldn't be drilled was sent back to bowlingball.com and they were nice enough to exchange the ball for a fire road. While researching the ball reactions for which ball to get I noticed that the balls had a oil condition recommendation for each ball. Over time, I have learned though trial and error that when they tell you what condition the ball is for, they really mean it. If I throw a ball on a condition that the ball isn't made for, it doesn't perform as well as a ball that is made for the condition. Well companies all have their own versions of balls for what oil patterns, but I have discovered probably obvious to most, but all the balls made for an oil pattern react differently from manufacturer to manufacture. I've noticed this by watching numerous ball reaction videos on You tube. One ball I thought I would like, but didn't after watching a video was the Nexxus (P+R)

In General, all balls are the same, however there are variances that affect performance. symmetric vs asymmetric cores are a good example, gradual smooth hook vs "hockey stick" balls are indeed made for different oil conditions, a ball meant for high oil will be less effective on low oil then a ball made for those conditions.

A lot of it is also personal preference, some people select a ball company for customer service while others like air fresheners (lol) as for the ball videos put out by manufacturers, they suck lol they choose to only show strikes, when selecting a ball i would go by the data and maybe a few amateur videos that show the good and bad shots. if you make a perfect shot, any ball can strike!

GoodGorilla
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
In General, all balls are the same, however there are variances that affect performance. symmetric vs asymmetric cores are a good example, gradual smooth hook vs "hockey stick" balls are indeed made for different oil conditions, a ball meant for high oil will be less effective on low oil then a ball made for those conditions.

A lot of it is also personal preference, some people select a ball company for customer service while others like air fresheners (lol) as for the ball videos put out by manufacturers, they suck lol they choose to only show strikes, when selecting a ball i would go by the data and maybe a few amateur videos that show the good and bad shots. if you make a perfect shot, any ball can strike!

This was on my mind. That's why I compared the ball patterns with the balls that I have. Even though the balls are all striking, their ball path is very very similar to mine. I've been reading some of Joe Slowinsky's articles on ball arsenal, and he said that pattern length is also very important. I think the article said that on a shorter oil pattern, a ball with more length is required. And the opposite for a long patter, a ball that turns earlier or less length(I think that means the same thing).

HughScot
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I was thinking the same as I alternated every shot between my Cyclone and Taboo e/s and couldn't see any difference. Now I can and the cyclone is easier for me to control. This makes me ask what ball would be good for me to move to in place of the Cyclone to get something just a little stronger but still far less than the Taboo? I've bowled with the Cyclone for a year and the yellow/red/purple color is getting to me. My average is 140 but I'm moving slowly up.

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I was thinking the same as I alternated every shot between my Cyclone and Taboo e/s and couldn't see any difference. Now I can and the cyclone is easier for me to control. This makes me ask what ball would be good for me to move to in place of the Cyclone to get something just a little stronger but still far less than the Taboo? I've bowled with the Cyclone for a year and the yellow/red/purple color is getting to me. My average is 140 but I'm moving slowly up.

to be quite honest, at a 140 average, it's not the ball as much as it is you, making spares, hitting your mark every time, these are the things to focus on, now what ball to get. sure, getting a ball that is perfect for you helps, but becoming more and more consistent is vital

HughScot
11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
to be quite honest, at a 140 average, it's not the ball as much as it is you, making spares, hitting your mark every time, these are the things to focus on, now what ball to get. sure, getting a ball that is perfect for you helps, but becoming more and more consistent is vital

This I have learned and you are totally correct, it's what I'm working on. But I do want something new but similar to the Cyclone.

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
This I have learned and you are totally correct, it's what I'm working on. But I do want something new but similar to the Cyclone.

Fair enough, if you have the money available there is nothing wrong with building your arsenal and trying new balls.

don't mind me, i'm a little bitter on the subject, i've used the same ball for 4 years and am just getting around to replacing it now due to realizing I've literally out grown it lol

I guess i'll see how much my average changes after i get the marauder :D

AZBowla
11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
IMHO there's nothing wrong with wanting a new ball, I felt the same way - sure my average isn't all that (I'm guessing maybe 160 or so- not sure since all I do is open bowling and I keep forgetting to have them print out the score sheet for me) but I also felt that throwing a 10 year old ball was still holding me back. They have made a ton of advancements in the last 10 years and if I want to seriously improve my game, doesn't it help to have newer, better equipment? Of course it does.

Next on my list is a new pair of bowling shoes - those are also ten+ years old. But only after I've gotten my lovely GF all set up with her new gear of course. :)

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 01:02 PM
IMHO there's nothing wrong with wanting a new ball, I felt the same way - sure my average isn't all that (I'm guessing maybe 160 or so- not sure since all I do is open bowling and I keep forgetting to have them print out the score sheet for me) but I also felt that throwing a 10 year old ball was still holding me back. They have made a ton of advancements in the last 10 years and if I want to seriously improve my game, doesn't it help to have newer, better equipment? Of course it does.

Next on my list is a new pair of bowling shoes - those are also ten+ years old. But only after I've gotten my lovely GF all set up with her new gear of course. :)

new PURPLE gear! lol

MisterSinister
11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
It's a matter of how into bowling you get, and how much you realize what is actually going on. When I started a few years ago, for my second ball I wanted a high end, big hook ball. I had a Freeze already, and I wanted something for my league, with fresh oil. I bought a Virtual Gravity. I bowled for almot two years with that ball before I realized my mistake. I am a high rev player, and on most lane conditions, the Virtual Gravity is too much ball. I thought it was fine, it hooked a lot, but it didn't over hook. It hit the pocket, so it must be ok. The fact it left the 10 pin, or the 7 pin a lot, it's just luck right? Nope. Too Much ball doesn't always mean it hooks too much. It was hitting the pocket, but hitting soft. I moved down to a RotoGrip Outlaw, and all of a sudden my average went up 10 pins real quick, and I stopped leaving so many corner pins. It looks the same going down lane as the VG, to the average person, they can't tell the difference. I get it all the time, "why do you need 4 balls?" The more you get into it, the more you learn about ball reaction, lane conditions, and yourown game, the more you will realize why you need different balls.

HughScot
11-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Fair enough, if you have the money available there is nothing wrong with building your arsenal and trying new balls.

don't mind me, i'm a little bitter on the subject, i've used the same ball for 4 years and am just getting around to replacing it now due to realizing I've literally out grown it lol

I guess i'll see how much my average changes after i get the marauder :D

No problem, money is not an issue re bowling balls. I had the same set of irons for ten years once and knew there was nothing better so I kept them. But balls are relatively cheap and this ball has so much yellow in it, it feels a little foolish.