PDA

View Full Version : went bowling to work on

noeymc
11-14-2012, 05:49 PM
keeping foot down and sliding i cant slide :( i power the ball when i do :( foot staying down was easy to switch to

billf
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
What do you mean by you power the ball?

Zothen
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
My guess is he's using his upper body to throw the ball instead of his legs to generate the power.

Zothen

kmf
11-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Shame, shame. Men always think more power is better. Ha ha, keep thinking that.
Legs make the power. The only acceleration the arm should have other than gravity is at the release through the follow through. This is the hardest part for me personally. It's weird seeing how much movement my dad gets doing this. Makes me envious lol

noeymc
11-14-2012, 07:22 PM
like i am not sure but my ball speed jumped to 24 from my normal and it 20 i could feel my pushing the ball forward id try ncto stop it and it didnt work out to well :( talk about a ball never getting a chance to hook lol but i went in did a few ghost movements to try and get it down soon as i put my ball in my hand it went down hill i droped 50 pins from my normal i keep pushing the ball in different directions

kmf
11-14-2012, 07:26 PM
I would bet money that you are accelerating your arm through the whole swing or your footwork is too fast. I heard the youth coach this past Saturday tell the kids, "It's not a dragstrip. You don't get any points for getting to the foul line first."

billf
11-14-2012, 07:27 PM
It kept them from running on the approach.
Which is it, the arm or the legs?

noeymc
11-14-2012, 07:28 PM
it might be both maybe i was trying to build alot of speed so i could slid but i know for a fact i was useing my arm other then that i dont think i changed my footwork i moved about a half of step forward to slow my ball speed down that seemed to be working but i still wasn't sliding :(

kmf
11-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Sliding can be tricky and if you weren't sliding that would add power which is why the crankers plant. Try shortening the step going into the slide so you can stay with your weight on the balls of your feet. You don't need a real long slide either, just a few inches would work wonders.

noeymc
11-14-2012, 07:37 PM
well when i plant i would say i am 5-8 inchs from the foul line i try'd to find a video on how to work on sliding but sadly came up with nothing ill record it fri ill give it another shot and let you see what i mean

edit: i forgot to say i tryed to pay attaion to my foot knee and chin being lined up it looked good but should my left leg be bent towards the right a little bit?

kmf
11-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Is your leg bent or is your whole body angled to the right?

billf
11-14-2012, 08:02 PM
If your joints don't bend unless angled it very well could bend to the right. It's rare but does happen.

noeymc
11-14-2012, 08:07 PM
just my leg but when i look down its lined up with my foot and assuming my chin is to since i looked straight down

billf
11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
So if your foot, knee, leg and chin are all pointed that way then I assume it was angled towards your target? If so, that's perfectly fine.

noeymc
11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
yeah towards my target just no slide lol

billf
11-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Learning to slide can be difficult. Keep trying. Keep your weight on your toes as much as possible. Clean the soles of your shoes too.

noeymc
11-14-2012, 10:51 PM
yeah ima keep working on it for sure gotta be the best =D

Tampabaybob
11-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Ok, we had a conversation about your speed a couple of days ago and I thought you were going to try to get it down a bit. Going up to 22-24 mph is definitely going the wrong way. You're leaving no time at all for the ball to work for you ! Wish I war in Ohio, I'd bring an anchor over to slow you down.

Understand the dynamics of the balls you're using and the concept that you need to give them time, rotation, and room to slide, hook and roll. You're killing 99% of that motion by your speed. Bottom line "SPEED KILLS".

Bob

noeymc
11-15-2012, 11:06 AM
i know bob i try'd taking half step forward it put me back at my speed 20-21 i am going to try friday to take a full step forward i promise i am not ignoring any advice

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
"SPEED KILLS".

Bob

Stop saying speed kills! speed is getting a bad rap, going at 200mph won't kill you, going from 200mph to 0 in 1 second, now that will kill you!

Zothen
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I beg to differ,speed does kill! Last night in leagues the anchor for the other team was killed by speed in 2nd & 3rd games. We estimated his speed at 25mph and in the 2nd game he left ugly splits and tons of 10 pins and in 3rd game het left a lot of pins standing and even missed easy spares cause he kept to much speed on the ball.

Zothen

billf
11-15-2012, 09:51 PM
I beg to differ,speed does kill! Last night in leagues the anchor for the other team was killed by speed in 2nd & 3rd games. We estimated his speed at 25mph and in the 2nd game he left ugly splits and tons of 10 pins and in 3rd game het left a lot of pins standing and even missed easy spares cause he kept to much speed on the ball.

Zothen

Speed is great when CONTROLLED and NEVER over accuracy.

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM

This!

adding speed for the sake of adding speed while sacrificing control and consistency is a bad idea!

remember, one key aspect of proper pin carry is force! there are 2 factors that you control when dealing with force: ball weight and speed, that being said, which do you think is more important, having excess force, or being able to hit the pocket consistently at an ideal angle?

GeoLes
11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I have recently revamped my approach by adding slide. I found by isolating helps me. I strart on step from the foul line with the heel of the left foot raised, initiate swing, upon front swing, push off the right off sliding forward into finish position. Not caring where the ball goes, I look at my hip alighment, knee bend and balance. I then back up another step doing the same with a 3-step approach, repeat further back with 3 steps, and finally 4 steps. I just do 3-4 frames to monitor and index that position. Then I bowl normally checking periocically for maintenance. It seems to work for me. Hopefully it will work for you too.

Tampabaybob
11-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Bill is right on. Think about why they make balls round.......to roll, correct? Think about the energy the balls are designed to generate utilizing the weight block inside the ball. When you "throw" the ball too fast, you're overcoming the design and the way the ball was intended to react. Right?

Bob