PDA

View Full Version : league rule question please help

Dr. Jekyl
11-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I hope this is the right spot for this question...so sorry if not....

Question

I have book averages for both hands. I booked 156 left and 194 right. I have been subbing in a league alternating between hands. I'll explain

week 1 - I bowled right handed all three games never switching to left hand

week 2 - I bowled left handed all three games never switching to right hand

week 3 - I bowled right handed all three games never switching to left hand

I continued this pattern for another 8 weeks.

Tonight I was told by the league secretary that I am not to switch hands anymore. That I am to stay subbing right handed. She told me (LOL) just like this "you're being watched from this point on". The league secretary and I recently worked at the same place and I'm currently suing the company for a wrongful termination. So any responses would be greatly appreciated. Just need to know if she is correct in what she is saying or if she is harassing me.

onefrombills
11-15-2008, 05:15 AM
You can switch every week if ya like and it sounds like its a hdcp league and as long as the hdcp is for your left hand and thats what ya using there is nothing wrong and that sec has NO IDEA whats he/she is talking bout

Dr. Jekyl
11-15-2008, 11:18 AM
That's what I thought. thank you very much

onefrombills
11-15-2008, 03:07 PM
That's what I thought. thank you very much

No prob and happy to help

Dr. Jekyl
11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I spoke with a USBC Director today and he said that rule 118b states that you can not switch unless injured. I asked if rule 118b applies to subs as well and he said it did. The rule sounds flawed. A conventional bowler can switch to two hands as long as they use their dominant hand. What is that? You are still using the other hand which helps put more revs on the ball. As a sub...one should be able to bowl however they choose for that night. :mad:

Baroncad
11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
You might want to have the 2008-2009 USBC rulebook with you when you bowl in this league.

Here's the link: USBC rulebook (http://www.bowl.com/rules/rulebook.aspx)

Rule 118 - Averages (Pg. 68)
Rule 118b - How established
Each League shall adopted a rule to determine the number of games required to establish an average in that league. The following applies when establishing an average:
==1. A right-handed bowler must always bowl right-handed. Similarly, a left-handed must always bowl left-handed. Penalty: Forfeiture of game.
==2. No combination of scores bowled both right- and left-handed can be used to compute an average, except as stipulated in Rule 4c-Mechanical Aids to grip the ball/Alternating Delivery
(you need USBC Headquarters approval and approval from each League/Tournament you bowl in)
3. The league's board of director's may, by majority vote, adjust a player's average before the player bowls in the league or during the season due to injury or disability. Separate averages must be maintained.

Rule 118e - Establish New Average due to Change in Delivery Pg. 70)
If because of injury or disability a bowler finds it necessary to change delivery from right- to left-handed or vice-versa, the league's board of directors, by majority vote, may permit the bowler to change delivery. If approval is obtained, the bowler must establish a new average.

Rule 118e/1 - May a bowler switch his/her delivery after the start of the season due to injury?
Yes. However, the bowler is required to obtain permission from the league's board of directors. If the bowler were later able to return to their original hand delivery, permission would again have to be obtained from the board. No combination of scores bowled both right- and left-handed can be used in computing an average. Therefore, two separate averages would have to be maintained. A bowler who switches without permission forfeits those games.

Dr. Jekyl
11-15-2008, 04:14 PM
you need USBC Headquarters approval and approval from each League/Tournament you bowl in

Anyone know how to do this?

Baroncad
11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I spoke with a USBC Director today and he said that rule 118b states that you can not switch unless injured. I asked if rule 118b applies to subs as well and he said it did. The rule sounds flawed. A conventional bowler can switch to two hands as long as they use their dominant hand. What is that? You are still using the other hand which helps put more revs on the ball. As a sub...one should be able to bowl however they choose for that night. :mad:

Not when a distinct advantage based on handicap can be achieved.

You stated that you have an average of 156 left-handed and a 194 right-handed.

Example:
90% of 210 (League Based Average)
54 (90% of that is 48)

16 (90% of that is 14)

Plus each week you subbed you would need to advise the League Sec. and your opposing team on what hand you would be bowling with and have that Avg. and handicap inputted into the team roster.

Baroncad
11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Anyone know how to do this?

Go to bowl.com (http://www.bowl.com) in there you will find the info you need.
To find out who your state/region Director is and how to contact him/her (mail and e-mail address).

The rulbook also has the e-mail addresses for all questions pertaining to Leagues and Tournaments rules.

onefrombills
11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry if my info is not correct ...this must be a newer change......Sorry I was wrong and im goona go jump off the tallest building in Phoenix.

Too bad there all 2 storys tall

Baroncad
11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry if my info is not correct ...this must be a newer change......Sorry I was wrong and im gonna go jump off the tallest building in Phoenix.

Too bad there all 2 storys tall

I would have agreed with you, if I hadn't heard a similar story from a fellow bowler.