PDA

View Full Version : Thumb first?

GoodGorilla
11-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I know Tommy Jones does it, and I think this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find the page. I've been experimenting with my ball outside the lanes, and I can tell by putting in the thumb first it changes the way the ball hangs on to my hand. Does anyone try this or does it? What is it good for?

noeymc
11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
fingers first cardinal rule google :)

MisterSinister
11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Ronnie Russell does it as well. Always wondered why he and TJ put thier thumb in first. Jones almost screws his thumb in. I would bet it's because he has a very tight thumb hole, so he can't grab on the way down, and going thumb first may be able to get his thumb out fast and clean.

GoodGorilla
11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Something I have not payed much attention to until now, is many times my thumb hole will get an air bubble in there after I put my thumb in. It seems like I can get that air bubble out easier by putting the thumb in first.

bowl1820
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I know Tommy Jones does it, and I think this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find the page. I've been experimenting with my ball outside the lanes, and I can tell by putting in the thumb first it changes the way the ball hangs on to my hand. Does anyone try this or does it? What is it good for?

Putting the thumb in first is a old bowling trick, it can take a lot off the ball. Good trick for straightening out a shot at the ten pin.

UBowling
11-15-2012, 04:47 PM
One reason why Tommy Jones puts his thumb is first is because of the damage that has been done. Notice how he puts it in and then seems to turn it? It is because he puts his thumb in to clear all the damage and calluses and then puts his fingers in. So that may not be something that he really has any choice on.

BoomGoesTheDynomite
11-15-2012, 05:05 PM
not recommended. It could hurt your wrist and will decrease revs

Tampabaybob
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
In 54 years of bowling, I have never met anyone that put their thumb in first. Where do you guys get this stuff from? LOL

Bob

bowl1820
11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
In 54 years of bowling, I have never met anyone that put their thumb in first. Where do you guys get this stuff from? LOL

Bob

I heard of it years ago, if I can find it. It was in one of the bowling magazines or books I have , but here's from Ron Clifton:

"Make sure you keep your wrist open all the way through the release without lifting up your fingers as the ball leaves your hand as in Photo 2. If the lanes are really dry, try placing your thumb into the ball first and then your fingers. Think about throwing the ball more with your thumb, keeping your hand open and relaxed as you go through the release. Try to make your follow-through long and low instead of reaching for the sky. "

Experimental Tip # 1: Thumb in First to Reduce Grip Pressure PDF Print E-mail
Written by Joe Slowinski
Thursday, 01 February 2007
Read about an experiment to help reduce your grip pressure. Can you imagine putting your thumb in the ball first? Well, you might be surprized at the results. This can be very effective in playing the extreme outside on short patterns or when you want to create a more consistent reaction.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=62

The German Shepherd
11-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Bob

Ever watch Tommy Jones? He puts his thumb in first and then twists it tight before putting his fingers in the ball....

Jay

kmf
11-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I put my thumb in first. It's the only way I'm confident that it's all the way in. I have done both ways and never noticed a decrease in revs. Obviously TJ doesn't lose any either. I lose revs when my thumb isn't all the way in or when I put fingers in first and don't get my thumb out clean. I also have a real tight thumb hole and so far no damage :D

bowl1820
11-15-2012, 06:40 PM
As for Tommy Jones here's a article in Bowlers Journal BY BILL SPIGNER tells about it.

http://www.billspigner.com/pdf/0212_Bill_BJI.pdf

Brother_jd
11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
TJ doesnt need any more revs.

GoodGorilla
11-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I tried doing thumb first today for a full game after my first game. Well, the ball got stuck on my thumb for 5 shots, than like 2 of the other shots had more revs. After the first game of experimenting it doesn't look like a good technique to try again. I will probably try again in a day or two.

bowl1820
11-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Just so you know, the thumb in first is not meant to increase rev's, it's for straightening out the shot.

GoodGorilla
11-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Just so you know, the thumb in first is not meant to increase rev's, it's for straightening out the shot.

Having the thumb first made my fingers come out cleaner, and my revs went up. But that was if my thumb made it out clean. Anyhow, the ball seemed more secure on my hand that way and I guess I had an unorthodox response to it.

GoodGorilla
11-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Now after thinking about that Tommy Jones article. Yeah, having the thumb in first made my finger feel like they were hooks in the ball, like fishing hooks. It definatly had a different feel on release.