PDA

View Full Version : How to Write a Good Forum Post

bowl1820
11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
How to Write a Good Forum Post

Rule #1: Yes, spelling and grammar really are that important.
Misspellings and incorrect grammar are annoying to the reader, even if it does not actually make your post difficult to read.

Rule #2: Use short paragraphs.
This applies to all writing generally, but it is particularly important on an internet forum: people hate reading walls of text. Frankly, when people see a block of text, even a relatively short block, it looks daunting and they start skimming.

Rule #3: Use spacing to your advantage.
It is convention to put spaces between each paragraph. Do this and your writing will be easier to read.

Use double spaces between paragraphs to signal a new, but related topic. Use triple spaces or larger to denote any large shift in focus.

Rule #4: A forum's tone is of casual, but precise, conversation.
Don't be uptight when you write – feel free to use contractions, copious personal pronouns, and put things in parentheses. You are allowed to address other people directly, so long as you do it in a respectful way.

Rule #5: Use links, images, and videos to support and illustrate your points.
Reading text becomes quickly tiresome, so whenever you have the opportunity to offer a reader something beyond mere words in a box, it is wise to do so.

Rule #6: Present a logically sound argument.
You won't always be trying to demonstrate something when you post; often you'll simply be relating an experience or fact. At times, however, reasonable people have intelligent disagreements, and in those situations, it's helpful to know a bit about how to make a sound argument.

Rule #7: Use quotes often but precisely.
When someone makes a point worth responding to, either to agree or disagree with it, quote only the specific part of the post to which you are responding.

Rule #8: Always attack the argument, never the person.
In a casual conversation, direct address and use of the word "you" when responding to posts is entirely reasonable. It is necessary, however, to be very careful when doing so. It is surprisingly common how often posters inadvertently sleight other posters when addressing them.

Always be careful when you directly address another poster that you avoid in any way attacking them or their character. If the poster is wrong, then prove that they are wrong by attacking their argument with good counterarguments. It keeps your post more succinct, on topic, and at a level of maturity that better transmits your message.

bowl1820
11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Rule #9: Have Your thread title reflect what the post is about

Rule #10: Put your post in the appropriate forum

billf
11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Great post! Too bad it appears only spammers and myself saw this. lol

75lockwood
11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
I Saw it!

This is great info, just think how classy people will think we are! (3 spaces = new idea :D)

billf
11-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah, delete the spam posts and make me look more stupid than I already do myself. Geez, thanks lol

Brother_jd
11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Thank you for posting this!

J Anderson
11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah, delete the spam posts and make me look more stupid than I already do myself. Geez, thanks lol

Yeah the spammers must be on a different schedule than I am. I keep seeing these references to all the spam, but the actual spam is gone by the time I log on.

75lockwood
11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah the spammers must be on a different schedule than I am. I keep seeing these references to all the spam, but the actual spam is gone by the time I log on.

Thats because Bowl1820 is a supermod that owns spammers with a twitch of his nose!