PDA

View Full Version : Pinky and index finger position

75lockwood
11-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey all, i was wondering about how the position of your fingers effects revs and tilt, i was told on Saturday that keeping the fingers tight has more revs as a result and spreading keeps the ball straighter, is this true? and how do you hold your pinky and index fingers?

bowl1820
11-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Hey all, i was wondering about how the position of your fingers effects revs and tilt, i was told on Saturday that keeping the fingers tight has more revs as a result and spreading keeps the ball straighter, is this true? and how do you hold your pinky and index fingers?

Here's a whole article by Ron Clifton telling about this w/pictures

Click for Finger Dancing by Ron Clifton (http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip11.htm)

75lockwood
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks! I shall add this to the faq :D

Edit: lol his website is already there, should have searched first :eek:

dutchlefty
11-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Hei, I hold my pinky close to my ringfinger. Indexfinger way out. While in the stance i put some xtra pressure on it, just for the 'feel' of it. While executing the shot it makes me more aware of the release, how i release.... And now i'll read the article.. :)

billf
11-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I tuck my pinky on strike shots. It's the most comfortable for me. I spread my index as far as possible and keep pressure to ensure it stays there. On spare shots, single pins I will spread the pinky and pull the index closer bend wrist back and throw straight. Multi-pin spares, I pull pinky tight, spread index with pressure and aim one pin right of the key pin. This lets it hook slightly (one pin width) to convert.

75lockwood
11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I tuck my pinky on strike shots. It's the most comfortable for me.

I was playing around with tucking last week, it felt ok, but after 2 games my knuckle was starting to hurt so i switched back.

I'm going to try holding pinky in and extending index finger it sounds interesting... maybe i won't leave so many 10 pins :D

billf
11-18-2012, 05:33 PM
I've had a lot of people say tucking irritates the knuckle. I don't know as it's never been an issue for me. The first time I tried it the ball just seemed to fit my hand so much better. Spreading and putting some pressure on the index finger had helped me some with consistency and carry.

75lockwood
11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I've had a lot of people say tucking irritates the knuckle. I don't know as it's never been an issue for me. The first time I tried it the ball just seemed to fit my hand so much better. Spreading and putting some pressure on the index finger had helped me some with consistency and carry.

Maybe it has to do with pitch? depending on the pitch of the ring finger hole the pinky could rest well or cause this irritation (speculation)

billf
11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Could be. My pinky is a ton more flexible than my ring and middle fingers.

Brother_jd
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I used to tuck my pinky. Now i just keep it touching my ring finger.

Ball99999
11-19-2012, 03:32 AM
This site says it's for axis rotation

http://cmgbb.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/axis-rotation/

GoodGorilla
11-19-2012, 08:46 AM
That's a real good article. There have been times I could have done those alterations, but had no idea. Normally I would just increase/decrease revs, ball axis rotation, ball speed, or aiming arrow. Then again, that's a lot of stuff already.

dutchlefty
11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
When tucking my pinky, the skin comes of. It's just no fun.. any suggestions how to avoid that, and what may cause that ?? I see that i get more revs and a more agressive hook. Next training i'll try some of the other fingerpositions as shown in the article.. interesting..

JerseyJim
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Joe Slowinski has a number of articles on this site dealing with changing axis rotation using your fingers. Here is one of the articles http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_4_point_release.pdf

Ball99999
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Joe Slowinski has a number of articles on this site dealing with changing axis rotation using your fingers. Here is one of the articles http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_4_point_release.pdf

Everytime I read that article I interpret it differently depending on how I think people are "supposed" to release a ball.

Before I thought it meant rotating the wrist to that position.

Now I'm thinking that you keep your hand in the same position and then lift, and lead off, with the finger he specifies... and then the hand naturally turns into that direction?

HughScot
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
[This site says it's for axis rotation

http://cmgbb.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/axis-rotation/]

That same site also has a good article on the effect of ball weight on rev rate.

billf
11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
It says that tucking the pink will increase the rotation and allow for more skid. Maybe it's the additional skid that gives the illusion of more revs, seeing as the ball didn't hit the hook phase and change direction yet.

GoodGorilla
11-21-2012, 07:11 AM
I've only played one game with my pinky tucked in. For me it puts more weight on my index finger and gets my hand slightly more inside the ball. That's all I got out of that game I played with it like that, I need more practice.