PDA

View Full Version : Hello, all!

ArtVandelay
11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
My name is Kevin, and I just found this site. I am not a very competitive bowler, but have been bowling in a match point league for 3 years now. My beginning average (3 years ago) was a 138, and as of last wednesday I was carrying a 178. I show up for the beer, and friends, and the bowling is an added plus.

Lately I've been getting a bit more into bowling and was looking to expand my knowledge on the subject. I figured it would be fun to see what people write in the forums. A couple weeks ago, our team bowled a team that had a certified bowling coach on it and I got to speaking with him. It was very interesting to hear what he had to say and I became intrigued with how little thought I've put into bowling. For instance, the lane conditions were quite slick (I believed they used penzoil 10W-40 that particular night), and my ball was not cutting into the pocket like it normally does. I adjusted by taking a straighter line, and the guy I was bowling against suggested I go back to my previous line and take a bit of speed off, allowing the ball more time to catch and initiate what he called, "the roll phase." That blew my mind.... hahahaha. I'd never really put THAT much thought into bowling, but sure enough, as soon as I did that, my ball hit the pocket harder, again, just not as fast, and I left hardly any splits. So what other kinds of knowledge are there that I've been missing all this time?????

Bowling is a great hobby. Aside from bowling, I am originally from the north east, and I'm a hopeless Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins/Devils fan. I was born in Jersey, and lived in Connecticut before moving to Texas.

Seinfeld is one of my favorite shows of all time, so that's where I got my name from. Our bowling team's name this season is Vandelay Industries. We have quite a few teams in the league who are formed by businesses, and thought we'd join in on the fun with George Costanza's made up company. We're importers, exporters..... Latex salesmen, you name it.

So, I look forward to being part of the forum. I'm in a motorcycle forum, and enjoy it very much (I ride a little Ninja 250R. Yeah, I know it's not the most powerful thing on the planet, but that's not why I ride. I ride for the fun of it, and it's nice to get 60 miles per gallon on a little 250cc bike!!), and I have a feeling I'll be saying the same of this place!

The KingPin
11-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Welcome to BowlingBoards.com

It is truly an Honor to have you here.

Please feel free toask questions and help others. Also please tell a friend about us

ArtVandelay
11-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Welcome to BowlingBoards.com

It is truly an Honor to have you here.

Please feel free toask questions and help others. Also please tell a friend about us

Thank you very much! This seems like a pretty good forum. Is it fairly new? I noticed there weren't too many members, but that's part of the reason I signed up. I don't like the forums with too many members, it seems like there's too much bickering in them.

NoTapNorm
11-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the board!

Baroncad
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Bowling is a great hobby. Aside from bowling, I am originally from the north east, and I'm a hopeless Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins/Devils fan. I was born in Jersey, and lived in Connecticut before moving to Texas.

Well, aside from being a "Beantown" groupie (yeah, I'm from NY-Isles, Giants and Yankees) :D

Welcome to the board. You will not find a nicer bunch of people anywhere else.

Ask any question, there is a wealth of bowling knowledge here,and don't forget that the "stupidest question is the one not asked".

See ya around,
Paddy

kev3inp
11-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Nice to see another Kevin on the boards. Welcome and feel free to chime in anytime.

onefrombills
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Welcome Kevin2 :)

It is so great to have ya on the board and we look forward to chatting with you on here ....now go tell all ur friends about us and this site !!!!!!

ArtVandelay
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Welcome Kevin2 :)

It is so great to have ya on the board and we look forward to chatting with you on here ....now go tell all ur friends about us and this site !!!!!!

so you're already assuming I have friends? Man.... youz guyz have a lot to learn about me! hahahaha.

Thanks, everyone, for the welcomes. I'll do what I can to contribute something positive to the board. These ought to be good times!

The KingPin
11-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Thank you very much! This seems like a pretty good forum. Is it fairly new? I noticed there weren't too many members, but that's part of the reason I signed up. I don't like the forums with too many members, it seems like there's too much bickering in them.

It is new, yet I believe that even as we grow, if we remember why we are here, and serve that purpose, we will treat every member like the very first and the very last. When this site was being built, i heard many people talk about how some other forums have too much fighting and flaming. I dont care if the same question is asked 100 times, we work with high school and youth bowlers here all the way up to senior bowlers. Each one get repsect and dignity when here. No cursing, adult material, just fair, respectful treatment.

Thank truly for being here

onefrombills
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
so you're already assuming I have friends? Man.... youz guyz have a lot to learn about me! hahahaha.

Thanks, everyone, for the welcomes. I'll do what I can to contribute something positive to the board. These ought to be good times!

LOL....well your here now and have lots of friends

ArtVandelay
11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
It is new, yet I believe that even as we grow, if we remember why we are here, and serve that purpose, we will treat every member like the very first and the very last. When this site was being built, i heard many people talk about how some other forums have too much fighting and flaming. I dont care if the same question is asked 100 times, we work with high school and youth bowlers here all the way up to senior bowlers. Each one get repsect and dignity when here. No cursing, adult material, just fair, respectful treatment.

Thank truly for being here

No question, it's a good mantra. I don't really have any "questions" per se, I just wanted to read what others say, and learn what I can as I go. I've already learned quite a bit about lane conditions. Some of those video's of DJ Big Smooth (I think I got the name right) on PBA conditions look like my regular bowling on (what I've learned is called) the "house shot." My average doesn't seem to quite stack up to some of the other averages on this board, but that's not the point at all. I bowl for my own reasons, and I'm fine if I never join the PBA. hahahahaha. It's really neat to read what the more experienced folk say.

ArtVandelay
11-18-2008, 11:18 PM
LOL....well your here now and have lots of friends

Can I put you guys in my 5? D-Wade's in my 5.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIH8NrNeso) hahahaha.