PDA

View Full Version : Wolfe strings out strikes for victory

kakcpa
11-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Wolfe strings out strikes for victory

Was top seed with nearly 260 average

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The howling for Mike Wolfe started in the fourth frame, when his strikes started piling up in the finals of Sunday's Professional Bowlers Association Ultimate Scoring Championship at Taylor Lanes.

With astronomical scores during match play and position rounds, the tournament was hoping for a higher score in the championship game, but Wolfe's 246 was enough to claim $25,000 and first place with a 246-206 victory over left-hander Mike Scroggins.

In the battle of the Mikes, Wolfe was able to throw nine strikes while Scroggins struggled getting the seven-pin to fall.

"On the TV show, you really don't know what to expect as far as the pattern," said Wolfe. "It took a lot of strikes to win during the week. Even with a 279, you had to make sure you threw three in the 10th to shut people out. This feels great. It's still early in the season, and I'll take a few days off and get ready for Chicago."

Wolfe advanced to the finals with a 237-215 victory over Bill O'Neill. The former Saginaw Valley State University All-America was trying to win his first tour event, but couldn't string any strikes after trailing by one pin.

Scroggins advanced to the final with a 238-205 victory over Robert Smith.

In the final, Scroggins had three seven pins but was unable to string strikes.

During qualifying, there was about 18 300s, and Wolfe entered the finals as the top seed after an average close to 260.

"I'm in the three-hole on my league team, so I'm not even considered the best bowler," joked Wolfe, from New Albany, Ind. "This was a great tournament, and the folks at Taylor Lanes are always great."

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL at 313-222-2555 or pafarrell@freepress.com.

onefrombills
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Mike is a stud !