PDA

View Full Version : Shift Bowl Technique as taught by Mo Pinel

bowl1820
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Shift Bow Technique as taught by Mo Pinel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNgTAYvUEE

scottymoney
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Interesting video. From my days in football and basketball, it reminds me of getting into an "athletic stance" at the beginning. The athletic stance helped with creating balance for the ability to move quickly. So it looks like they took that and adjusted it for bowling. Seems like a good idea. Although for me I step different than most. I am right handed but do almost a 3 step approach where my left starts first. Eventually when I get a chance I will do a video.

This video did make me think about getting a little more knee bend at the beginning. I will give it a try tonight.

UBowling
11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Funny you bring that up, that is what USBC teaches their coaches. Have the bowler start with an athletic stance. They equate it to every sport having an athletic stance to begin with.

scottymoney
11-28-2012, 11:17 PM
I watched this again and am thinking of giving it a try. I really need to get to a 4 step approach to have better rhythm. I got out my ball and was practicing this type of approach and it seems very smooth. getting low to begin with seems to promote better slide and staying down in the release. Well we will see how it does on the lanes hopefully this weekend.

scottymoney
11-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Does anyone see any positives and/or negatives to this approach? Would like to hear your guys opinion.

billf
11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Only positives. I can't think of a single negative. However, using this technique does not require the exaggerated foot separation the demonstrator had. As noted above, the lower you are in the stance at the beginning, the easier to be low and get a good slide later. Helps a ton with accuracy.

scottymoney
11-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Awesome thanks Bill! Yeah I found it kind of ridiculous how the "bean pole" demonstrator got so low. I definitely won't be that low but I would rather start low then trying to get low during the approach. I am guessing the biggest issue will be staying low during the whole approach and not coming up.

The next thing I have to get used to is Right Left Right slide Left. Instead of the Left Right slide Left.

I have been thinking though I normally finish about a foot from the foul line so adding the extra step should put me about where I need to be at the foul line.

If I get to practice tonight I am going to try to do some video. Maybe I will video old approach and then do video of new approach. I may head over to the other lanes in town that have the speed gun built in. That would be a true test of the approaches and I am wondering the differences between me forcing it vs letting it just come off my hand.

Bill I am guessing you would agree that the shift bowl approach would allow me to be more balanced? I have definitely felt less balanced over the last month or so with my clunky 3 step approach.

billf
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
It will definitely help with balance. It's not the steps but starting low helps keep the hips low through the approach and release. If your falling off the ball then your head is getting too far ahead of your feet. Keeping your weight over your core is the key. See if you can get some video from the side. This is the best angle to check for timing going into the slide. If the timing is off then the speed, accuracy and revs will all be affected.

scottymoney
11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks again Bill, hopefully late tonight I will have some video for you guys to check out.

e-tank
11-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Seems like a very solid technique. I dont have a set step approach yet but this one does the seem most natural for me. I was gonna hit the lanes here in an hour or so, so i will definitely give it a try

scottymoney
11-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Well let us know your results e-tank if you try it.

scottymoney
11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
No video as I forgot the camera. But i did bowl much more consistently with the new approach. The lanes had me moving all around trying to get in the pocket as it was super dry compared to the other house i bowl at. I have never thrown that close to the gutter before! But anyway I scored 167 160 191 183. not bad for a 157 average bowler. I think I came to the conclusion I need a ball just for these low oil conditions. Maybe a misfit or something that has a higher polish on it than the Marauder madness?

I will say the Shift bowl worked out well, I was able to keep low and be much more consistent and balanced. I definitely was able to hit my mark more consistently using this approach. And as Bill said you don't need to start as low as the guy in the video does. I recommend shift bowl for anyone who has trouble staying down through the approach, and I will say it has gotten me closer to the foul line. Like before I was a foot away now I am 3 inches away.

e-tank
12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Well let us know your results e-tank if you try it.

To update, i finally tried out this technique last night and i loved it. It helped me keep low and i was able to be more consistent on where i released the ball. This will be my technique from now on

scottymoney
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Nice to hear! I am still doing this and have been much more consistent. I don't go as low as the guy in the video. I also find it keeps me in routine. Starting with my left foot forward I always know my first step is right foot in front of my left foot and it keeps me on track. Starting low I think helps to keep yourself low through the shot as opposed to trying to get low during the approach.

e-tank have you found this approach to put a little bit more strain on your lower back? After about 5 games I really feel it in my back. I will be starting to workout again in 2013. Put on a bunch of weight after losing it in the spring.

e-tank
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
After 5 hours I did not. But when i bowl im drinking so that prob changes things haha. And let me know if you need help with anything working out stuff bro

scottymoney
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
After 5 hours I did not. But when i bowl im drinking so that prob changes things haha. And let me know if you need help with anything working out stuff bro

Must have just took a bit of time to get used to. Bowled 13 games new years day and wasn't bothered by it at all.