PDA

View Full Version : Storm IQ Tour Edition Review by Storm Staffer Daniel Mareina

DanielMareina
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
The Storm IQ Tour Edition is the C³™ Centripetal Control Core, with the R2S solid coverstock. This ball gives an unparelled smooth reaction, with the hitting power of most Premier Line balls.
I drilled the IQ Tour with a 4 3/4" pin, 5 1/2" MB, and a 4 1/4" pin buffer. This is a lower flaring, smoother layout for me. The orginal coverstock comes at a 4000 grit finish. I used the ball for around ten games with this finish. I found that the ball read the lane really early, but didn't overreact. It resembled the reaction of strong urethane balls of the 80s, but still has power through the pins that the current Storm bowling balls are known for. This ball will be perfect for medium to heavy oil conditions. Due to it's very early read, and extended continuation throughout the whole lane, it should make adjustments really easy to make. I was able to see what part of the lane was drying out, and adjust accordingly much easier than with other bowling balls.
Because my house shot is light oil, I polished the coverstock with a heavy coat of Storm Step 3 polish. This stopped all of the early read on the lane, and allowed the ball to clear the heads, and only have a light mid-lane read. By not using any of it's energy early on the lane, it multiplied the downlane power. I was able to move 10 boards to the right, and play almost straight up the boards. The ball still made a smooth reaction, albeit much later on the lane, and drives through the pin deck harder than any ball I have thrown to date. Amazing that a solid coverstock could be shined up, and still work as well as sanded. I flat out love this ball!