PDA

View Full Version : Bullying

75lockwood
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Has anyone ever felt bullied? how did you deal with it?

Personally, i hate bully's, people who insult and harass others to feel better about themselves are just plain pathetic. Pinpointing the flaws of others and making fun of them for it is not ok.

AZBowla
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Has anyone ever felt bullied? how did you deal with it?

Personally, i hate bully's, people who insult and harass others to feel better about themselves are just plain pathetic. Pinpointing the flaws of others and making fun of them for it is not ok.

Well as a skinny computer nerd back in the 80's you can just about imagine how I got bullied and picked on, but it does get better when you check up on your old bullies on facebook and see they've found a fulfilling career at Taco Bell or McDonald's for $25K a year (or they decided instead to rack up prison terms and illegitimate kids) and their lives generally suck while here I am pulling down $70K, living with a wonderful woman and her son and enjoying every minute of it.

I am a firm believer in Karma, so I believe that you get back whatever you put out 3 fold. So for each good thing you do in life, you get three good things in return and for every bad thing you do, you get it back three times as bad. So next time some douche is giving you crap, just smile - they've got theirs coming later on in life, meanwhile all your good deeds will come back to you.

billf
11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I grew up in a small town. Being the only red-head in the area I was bullied a lot. At 12 I grew to 6' but only weighed 130 pounds. I started lifting weights for survival. By 14 I weighed 235 pounds at 5% bodyfat. We moved to a large city (Brockton, MA) where I didn't get picked on and was the anti-bully in high school. By then I was big enough, strong enough and fast enough with ten years of martial arts training behind me.
Freshman year I was stabbed and didn't go down. A week later a kid pulled a gun on me and I whipped him for it. After that none of the bullies or gang bangers questioned me. Then I won the JR Gold Gloves state boxing title after getting jumped by 5 guys and taking a pipe hit to the face. I might not hit the hardest but I can take a hit. Marvelous Marvin Hagler himself is the one who talked me out of boxing saying my grades were too good to get hit for a living. He took the time to explain brain injuries from getting hit to me and I gave up boxing. I graduated at 268 pounds and still 5% bodyfat.
Then when I went in the Army it was basically the same. Stand up for freedom, democracy and those who can't do so themselves.

GeoLes
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I grew up with it and was shy as a teen. I ran away from it and have had self-esteem issues for a long time. At some point I decided to stop hiding and now I look on bullies with pity. You have to be low if you need to pull someone else down in order to feel equal to or above him. I wish I knew that when I was a teen. It shows the emotional scars are far more painful than physical ones. Columbine is an example of the dysfunction that can result from bulliying.

noeymc
11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
yea i was till the 3rd grade and i started throwing punches instead of a smart remark put a few kids down and they all stop picking on you and u can ride your name till high school then u gotta start over at least thats how it was for me

AZBowla
11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
yea i was till the 3rd grade and i started throwing punches instead of a smart remark put a few kids down and they all stop picking on you and u can ride your name till high school then u gotta start over at least thats how it was for me

Sounds eerily similar to a prison yard... I've heard that to survive there the best way to do that is to find the biggest guy on the yard and beat him down in front of everyone else.

noeymc
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
i wouldnt say i beat up the biggest dude seeing as in 3rd grade he was like 5'8 kes 6'6 now plays at college ball as a DE but no i only would fight the kids that would pick on me and i didnt always win but they learned what was going to happen that we where going to fight if u did somethin dumb to me

Cuda K5
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
I dont think anyone is "pro bullying" but I kind of look at these "antibullying" ads and what not, as a complete joke. Parents are so protective of their kids now that they can't handle a few words thrown their way. People need to defend themselves and stop hiding behind lawers. I was bullyed a lot as a kid mostly verbally. I took the brunt of it and ended up being very shy and anti social. At one point I relized I am the only one in control of my life other than God himself and what other people thought didnt matter. You just have to stick up for yourself. I had friends that talked crap about me every day behind my back but hung out with me because i had a job, truck, and money at 15. Ditched all of them and ended up having to knock out a couple of them that got in my face. I kept straight A's got 7 varsity letters and was never suspended. I may still have some social issues that might not ever work out, but they are my fault and no one elses. I will need to fix them and I am never going to blame anyone else for it. there will always be bullys no matter what. Just suck it up and hold your own

Gmjmma
11-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I used to get picked on in middle school and some of high school then I had to drop out from it and just finish home schooled. BUT NOW I am a 6'4" 310lbs monster lol with an extensive background in Muay Thai and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and teach women and childern how to defend themselves. Confidence is a big key in not getting bullied

75lockwood
11-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I grew up in a small town. Being the only red-head in the area I was bullied a lot. At 12 I grew to 6' but only weighed 130 pounds. I started lifting weights for survival. By 14 I weighed 235 pounds at 5% bodyfat. We moved to a large city (Brockton, MA) where I didn't get picked on and was the anti-bully in high school. By then I was big enough, strong enough and fast enough with ten years of martial arts training behind me.
Freshman year I was stabbed and didn't go down. A week later a kid pulled a gun on me and I whipped him for it. After that none of the bullies or gang bangers questioned me. Then I won the JR Gold Gloves state boxing title after getting jumped by 5 guys and taking a pipe hit to the face. I might not hit the hardest but I can take a hit. Marvelous Marvin Hagler himself is the one who talked me out of boxing saying my grades were too good to get hit for a living. He took the time to explain brain injuries from getting hit to me and I gave up boxing. I graduated at 268 pounds and still 5% bodyfat.
Then when I went in the Army it was basically the same. Stand up for freedom, democracy and those who can't do so themselves.

Bill, if i ever meet you, remind me not to anger you LOL

yea i was till the 3rd grade and i started throwing punches instead of a smart remark put a few kids down and they all stop picking on you and u can ride your name till high school then u gotta start over at least that's how it was for me

While i think violence is not the answer and it is better to solve disagreements though intelligent debate, this was the reason nobody tried anything physical on me after grade 8; I've always been on the bigger side and have received my fair share of insults, but one day during recess out on the ice covered field, and one of the little idiots(well he was taller than me) that had been throwing insults my way thought he would take a run at me and try to knock me down, i saw him just before he left his feet to try and throw his body weight into me trying to knock me over, well i stuck my hand out and knocked him right out of the air.....

about an hour later i was called down to the office because apparently he went home crying.... after hearing my story he was told not to come back to school until the next week lol him nor any of his friends said another thing to me all year.

I used to get picked on in middle school and some of high school then I had to drop out from it and just finish home schooled. BUT NOW I am a 6'4" 310lbs monster lol with an extensive background in Muay Thai and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and teach women and childern how to defend themselves. Confidence is a big key in not getting bullied

your choice in bowling balls is fitting :D

billf
11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
My father was abusive both physically, verbally and emotionally. To the point that I was afraid to be a parent myself. One day in fourth grade I ran home from the bus stop and into the house. My father was home (I still don't know why) and asked why I was out of breath. I told him all those kids outside want to beat me up. He looked outside to see about 20 kids, all older than me, outside in the street. He looked at me, "So what are you doing in here?" and made me go out to get my butt kicked while vastly outnumbered.
He was Navy UDT and thought he was teaching me to stick up for myself. In a lot of ways, it worked. Socially it screwed me up. I was the largest introvert in high school history. Three time football high school All-American and four-time baseball high school All-American, got straight A's and worked a full-time job and still didn't say more than what it took to answer questions until my Junior year. Airborne, Air Assault, Primary Leadership Development Course, Basic non-commissioned officers course and on and on. It wasn't until I finished first in my class at the Drill Sargent Academy that I actually felt I was worth something and had some confidence. I've always worked longer and harder than anyone I know just to prove to myself that I was worth the time at whatever I was trying to do. Even all this time later, I work a lot of hours. I've been at this job four months and at my three month review my boss said I work harder and more hours than anybody they've ever had.

noeymc
11-21-2012, 10:59 PM
agree bill i can kinda relate to your up bringing kid next door use to beat me up all the time my dad would just keep sending me out there till i beat him well after getting beat for the 4th time he didnt make me go back out lol

billf
11-21-2012, 11:03 PM
One time a "friend" and his brother broke my glasses. I chased that little jerk all the way to his house. He ran inside and slammed the storm door. I put my hand through the glass, grabbed the back of his collar and yanked him back out through that glass. And my dad wanted to know what I was thinking. I was thinking I was getting beat for letting my glasses get broken and for not sticking up for myself. Talk about a no-win situation lmao

noeymc
11-21-2012, 11:12 PM
nice lol

75lockwood
11-21-2012, 11:15 PM
One time a "friend" and his brother broke my glasses. I chased that little jerk all the way to his house. He ran inside and slammed the storm door. I put my hand through the glass, grabbed the back of his collar and yanked him back out through that glass. And my dad wanted to know what I was thinking. I was thinking I was getting beat for letting my glasses get broken and for not sticking up for myself. Talk about a no-win situation lmao

Geeze bill, you had some unfortunate times as a kid, your dad sounds like a rough fellow.

shall we move on to a happier topic?

I'm only 38 hours from being a Deviant!!!!!!

New Avatar?
http://s7.postimage.org/i8q5bqwwr/Untitled.jpg

billf
11-21-2012, 11:16 PM
We all have had some issues in life to deal with. Nobody has had a picture perfect life. The past may give me a different perspective as yours will you, but I don't and won't let mine define who I will be as a man, husband, father or friend. We don't just learn from the good times but also the bad times. The bad times hurt the soul and that's why they are so hard to forget.