PDA

View Full Version : Machuga wins after O'Neill's 2-8-10 split

kakcpa
11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Machuga wins after O'Neill's 2-8-10 split

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

As soon as Bill O'Neill let the ball go in the eighth frame, you heard him say, "Oh, no!' loud and clear.

The former Saginaw Valley State star and top seed was attempting to win his first Professional Bowling Association title Sunday at Taylor Lanes and was in control against Michael Machuga.

However, the 2-8-10 split changed the momentum of the match, and when O'Neill missed the spare, it opened the door for Machuga.

"It was just a bad shot; I can't say anything more," said O'Neill. "It was right off my hand; the same way with the second ball in the 10th. It was bad bowling."

Still, he had a chance to shut out Machuga with three strikes in the 10th, but he came up short as did his attempt to capture two PBA titles in one day.

Machuga doubled in the 10th to win his second PBA title, 209-204, for the Chameleon Championship.

It was the second time Machuga beat O'Neill in a title match, the last coming on the same pattern Nov. 13, 2005, when he won, 256-245, at Council Bluffs, Iowa.

"I got a little quick with my feet, which is what I tend to do on bad shots," said O'Neill. "I have to try and eliminate that. I was calm the whole time. When he didn't strike in the eighth, I was just preparing myself to throw three good shots.

"I threw two."

For his part, Machuga made a couple of excellent ball changes in advancing to the finals, defeating Sean Rash, 196-190; Brian Kretzer, 245-188; and Wes Malott, 221-210; en route to the $25,000 check. Rash made the TV finals because of a scoring malfunction on a computer glitch Saturday that had bowlers going against the wrong opponents in the position round.

"I'll spend this very wisely; it has been tough the last six months without a check," said Machuga. "I just recognized what was out there and took advantage of it. I tried to see what was on the pair during the week. I bowled a lot of 260s and 270s.

"I watched Sean Rash and Brian, and I could see that the outside wasn't going to be good for me, so I tired to say inside. I've had some great sessions with Norm Duke, and that's what you saw out there today."

onefrombills
11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Machuga wins after O'Neill's 2-8-10 split

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

As soon as Bill O'Neill let the ball go in the eighth frame, you heard him say, "Oh, no!' loud and clear.

The former Saginaw Valley State star and top seed was attempting to win his first Professional Bowling Association title Sunday at Taylor Lanes and was in control against Michael Machuga.

However, the 2-8-10 split changed the momentum of the match, and when O'Neill missed the spare, it opened the door for Machuga.

"It was just a bad shot; I can't say anything more," said O'Neill. "It was right off my hand; the same way with the second ball in the 10th. It was bad bowling."

Still, he had a chance to shut out Machuga with three strikes in the 10th, but he came up short as did his attempt to capture two PBA titles in one day.

Machuga doubled in the 10th to win his second PBA title, 209-204, for the Chameleon Championship.

It was the second time Machuga beat O'Neill in a title match, the last coming on the same pattern Nov. 13, 2005, when he won, 256-245, at Council Bluffs, Iowa.

"I got a little quick with my feet, which is what I tend to do on bad shots," said O'Neill. "I have to try and eliminate that. I was calm the whole time. When he didn't strike in the eighth, I was just preparing myself to throw three good shots.

"I threw two."

For his part, Machuga made a couple of excellent ball changes in advancing to the finals, defeating Sean Rash, 196-190; Brian Kretzer, 245-188; and Wes Malott, 221-210; en route to the $25,000 check. Rash made the TV finals because of a scoring malfunction on a computer glitch Saturday that had bowlers going against the wrong opponents in the position round.

"I'll spend this very wisely; it has been tough the last six months without a check," said Machuga. "I just recognized what was out there and took advantage of it. I tried to see what was on the pair during the week. I bowled a lot of 260s and 270s.

"I watched Sean Rash and Brian, and I could see that the outside wasn't going to be good for me, so I tired to say inside. I've had some great sessions with Norm Duke, and that's what you saw out there today."

Billy has been throwing it soooooooooo well the past few weeks and will win this year !