PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm pretty sure I made someone pretty mad tonight..

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
11-20-2012, 03:59 AM
And by someone, I mean our league Secretary/Treasurer. Pretty much, we're in Week 10 of our league and we just received our league by-laws. I've never been in a league where I've had to wait this long for the by-laws. I her defense, she had like two copies in like Week 8, that she passed over the lanes and nobody read, because she rushed it along down the lanes. Anyway, like I said, we get them tonight and I'm reading it, and I start to see a lot that is misspellings/grammatical errors. Before I go any further, yes, I am one of those people, but I won't do it on here, because I've learned that it'll start an argument. With that being said, I started reading them, and I saw the prize, misspelled as "prise" at least five times and other things. For instance, she listed the officers at the end and on the first line, misspelled President, had it circled, never corrected, but yet had Vice President spelled correctly. My whole beef with all of this is that you shouldn't have to use spell check to spell a word such as prize, I just think she's too lazy to correct herself. I know this is pretty much a rant, and I'm sorry, but ti's something I need to get off my chest. I'm not the only one who noticed either, there were quite a few who did. She came down to my lane once for something and saw a copy I had corrected she said some choice words about me behind my back while I was bowling and ripped the paper up and then a frame or two later, I was given another copy of the same thing I had just corrected. And yes, I did the same exact thing as before, except, I found more errors this time, and I slid it under our score sheets with, "We pay $17 a week to bowl in this league, there is no reason that there should be this many errors," on the top of the paper, with everything circled that needed to be corrected. I'm serious when I say there was at least 20 different errors in a page and a half of writing. I'm sorry but I feel that's unacceptable. Any class in school if I wouldn't handed in a paper like that, the teacher would've placed a big fat "F" on it.

scottymoney
11-20-2012, 05:53 AM
I am guessing this was typed in Microsoft Word? Which will plainly point out most errors. Sounds to me like lazy. I am a commissioner over a Softball league in the summer that I took over from the old commissioner. He gave me the documents in Word format and I went through made the changes as well as all the errors before sending it to all the teams. If you are unable to spell words right especially with programs that will point out misspelled words then it really shows the level of commitment you have to your position. As I am typing this I see that even my browser points out misspellings in my forum posts!

Watch out cause most people who do not fix these errors will also find other things that they can take advantage of.

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
11-20-2012, 06:40 AM
I mean, on our envelopes we put money in every week, we had a week where we didn't bowl because Hurricane Sandy hit us, we had people pay ahead of course, which I know some people do, and she has all the dates written out already, which in my opinion isn't very smart, because I live in Pennsylvania, we due catch hurricanes sometimes during hurricane season and we are prone to some heavy snowfalls (thank you Lake Erie!). So, she whited out like everything and redid which made the envelopes a mess and a lot of the teams were confused because of all the editing she did. She also made, well, what I felt was kind of rude about people keeping their children under control. Which you know, all you need to say, hey, adult supervision is required for you children. She said pretty much, I know you're going to children running around, so have common sense and keep them under control. One of the ladies I have on my team has done Secretary work for leagues for 20+ years, and she just goes off every week about what she does wrong, and the lady who is the Secretary even came down one day and pretty much said to my teammate that she didn't know what she was talking about, which was rude. Maybe it's just me though.

bowl1820
11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Since we're talking writing

click-for--How-to-Write-a-Good-Forum-Post (http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/11579-How-to-Write-a-Good-Forum-Post)

Rule #2: Use short paragraphs.
This applies to all writing generally, but it is particularly important on an internet forum: people hate reading walls of text. Frankly, when people see a block of text, even a relatively short block, it looks daunting and they start skimming.

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
In this situation, a good option would be to speak with her privately and ask if she would like help with proofreading the documents, there is nothing wrong with trying to help someone, but i can see how she would take offense to seeing you correct it. if it is something that a person has trouble with, rather than pointing out flaws publicly, you can offer to help privately so nobody need be embarrassed.

Side note, a good option for posting on here would be Firefox, it has a built in spell check. My spelling tends to suck to so Firefox has been quite useful.

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I honestly think she's lazy. But that's just me.

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I honestly think she's lazy. But that's just me.

It is possible, but its always a good idea to give people the benefit of the doubt, lets look at a few scenarios:

#1: you assume she's lazy and it turns out there is actually something wrong with her. you look like a jerk.

#2: you offer to help, she turns out to just be lazy. she looks like a jerk.

#3: you offer to help, she turns out to have something wrong with her. you look like a hero.

#4: you assume she's lazy, she turns out to be just lazy, while your right, you still look mean.

Pick which one you would like to have happen.

Zothen
11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Here's another scenario!

You find out she has a lot on her mind,you help her out,she falls in love with you,you get married and have kids.

Zothen

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Here's another scenario!

You find out she has a lot on her mind,you help her out,she falls in love with you,you get married and have kids.

Zothen

Lol thats another possibility.....:rolleyes:

AZBowla
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Continuing Zothen's scenario, the kids all turn out to be lousy spellers like their mom and xthe and her get in a big fight over it, then she takes the kids to her mother's house and files "divorse" papers.

I keed, I keed! :D :D :D

Zothen
11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Hahahaha! AZBowla taht was funny;)

Zothen

Brother_jd
11-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Nice story.