PDA

View Full Version : What about resurfacing?

GoodGorilla
11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Why do you resurface a ball? How often? Are there different types of resurfacing like between resurfacing a solid ball versus a pearl? I am clueless.

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Resurfacing is done for a few reasons:

To change the reaction of the ball: some people change the surface of a ball as to get a ore preferred reaction.

------ ex. make the ball hook more or less

To fix damage: when a ball gets to the point where there are a million little gouges in it, a resurface can make the ball read the lane more consistently.

anything i missed?

GoodGorilla
11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
What do you mean gouges, what are they? Is resurfacing something that has to be done after so many games played on a ball? Or can a ball go for years without needing resurfacing?

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 12:28 PM
What do you mean gouges, what are they? Is resurfacing something that has to be done after so many games played on a ball? Or can a ball go for years without needing resurfacing?

Resurfacing is never a requirement, regarding little gouges, when i get my marauder on Friday i'm having my current ball resurfaced due to being covered in small gouges and scratches, its nothing to deep, but i would like to make the ball look like new again.

I will post a picture of my ball to show you what i mean in a few hours, i go bowling today!

HughScot
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM

From everything I've seen and read a ball usually needs "resurfacing" every 50 to 100 games. It's not expensive and you put the ball back to OTB status. It cleans out the oil, gets rid of scuff marks and most of the other stuff on the ball.

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
From everything I've seen and read a ball usually needs "resurfacing" every 50 to 100 games. It's not expensive and you put the ball back to OTB status. It cleans out the oil, gets rid of scuff marks and most of the other stuff on the ball.

True resurfacing will do all this, but i have bowled about 1200 games on my ball and not resurfaced it once, while resurfacing is a good idea, it is by no means a requirement

75lockwood
11-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Another point to note about resurfacing, every time you resurface the ball you are removing part of the cover stock, this is not something that should be done weekly, it could end up changing the ball more than just leaving it be would. (i'm talking about many many resurfacing, the amount of cover removed should be very minimal if done even once every month or so)

Another cheaper, easier and often more effective way to return some of the punch your ball had would be to give it a bath, removing built up oil a simple way to bring some life back into your ball and should be done before resurfacing takes place.

Zothen
11-20-2012, 12:55 PM
It is recommended that you resurface or de-oil a ball every 60-100 games to keep ball lively. If you clean your ball with a 50-50 mix of simple green and 90% rubbing alcohol you wont need to resurface as offen. Also depending on what lane condition your bowling on,you may need to change the ball surface.

Zothen

GoodGorilla
11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
It is recommended that you resurface or de-oil a ball every 60-100 games to keep ball lively. If you clean your ball with a 50-50 mix of simple green and 90% rubbing alcohol you wont need to resurface as offen. Also depending on what lane condition your bowling on,you may need to change the ball surface.

Zothen

I've read about changing the ball surface. I just cringe thinking about sanding down my ball, I don't think I can do it.

J Anderson
11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I've read about changing the ball surface. I just cringe thinking about sanding down my ball, I don't think I can do it.

The amount removed is miniscule. From your posts I assume your technique is still a work in progress. Once you have it down pat, you may want experiment with resurfacing to fine tune your ball for the best reaction at your local center. Also, some manufacturers recommend a light sanding of the ball to open up the pores before de-oiling.