PDA

View Full Version : Should baseball have a salary cap?

The KingPin
11-22-2008, 11:07 PM
So without pointing out too many teams, yet should baseball have a salary cap like other sports? The yankess buy everyone, yet should they have a limit? Some teams do well with what they have, yet look at the rockies, they had Matt Holiday, they make him into a great player, then he gets greedy and leaves to the A's, why? Money talks. So the rockies bring people up to move them out. Boston buys up people too. Is this fair?

ArtVandelay
11-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I thought Holiday was traded... But I get your point. He probably got traded because he only has a year left on his contract, and they wanted to get something for him rather then lose him entirely when he's eligible for free agency. It happens all the time.

I'm a Red Sox fan, so there's no way for me NOT to sound biased when I say I don't mind that there's no official salary cap. Spending money DOES NOT EQUAL TITLE!!! Yeah, it can help, but it also makes it that more appealing when you see the yankees lose, and miss the playoffs entirely!!! A-Fraud will forever be their own, personal, curse. The house that babe built has turned into the house that A-Fraud destroyed.

The KingPin
11-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I might be in the dark on many things on the trade, yet I thought before Holiday was offered a contract extension, and he turned it down. That might be false as I am not up to date with it. I just get annoyed that you find someone you like, and then they go to another team.

What about basketball? If they go over the salary cap they pay a luxury tax on the difference. I am not saying every sport should be the same, yet would it help to balance out teams? If your favorite team is in a big market, you get ticket sales, then you get big players. Small market no players.

kev3inp
11-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Anything that would help to stop the yankees buying another pennant is ok with me. And while we're at it let's come up with something that will prevent the cubs from winning in my lifetime.

The KingPin
11-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Anything that would help to stop the yankees buying another pennant is ok with me. And while we're at it let's come up with something that will prevent the cubs from winning in my lifetime.

Not a Cubs fan?

ArtVandelay
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
If memory serves, Holliday had one year remaining on his contract, and they offered him an extention. I think his agent is the baseball antichrist (boras), and his clients rarely take the extentions. So they traded him to get something out of what might have turned into nothing.

Truth is, there are a LOT of teams who COULD spend money if they wanted to (Tom Hicks comes to mind), but a lot of the owners treat it like a business. I'm not saying that's wrong to do, but sometimes I think the smaller market teams get what they deserve.... Everybody loves a winner, right? Spend a little to make a little.

kev3inp
11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Not a Cubs fan?

Well, let's just say I have 2 favorite baseball teams. The "go-go" White Sox and whoever plays the cubs. :D

onefrombills
11-23-2008, 04:46 PM
NOOOOOOOOO WAY !!!!!!

Sorry to say this but teams should be able to pay what they want...it is a busines after all right ?

ArtVandelay
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, let's just say I have 2 favorite baseball teams. The "go-go" White Sox and whoever plays the cubs. :D

I could never be a white sox fan... Ozzy Guillen is an explosion waiting to happen. It's not a matter of IF he says or does something stupid, but WHEN......

On a side note, though, I always felt Don Cooper was solid. I don't think too many people give credit to the pitching staffs he's been working with. Chicago does NOT have the best starters in the league, but they always seem to go deep into the game. There's something to be said for that.

kev3inp
11-24-2008, 07:50 AM
I grew up 4 blocks from Comiskey Park and I was going to Sox games before I was born. We could watch the fireworks they used to have after every night game from the front of the house. I'm not a big Ozzie fan, either. But I did hit Lou Pinella with a peanut in left when he was a player. Too bad it wasn't a truck? ;)

ArtVandelay
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I grew up 4 blocks from Comiskey Park and I was going to Sox games before I was born. We could watch the fireworks they used to have after every night game from the front of the house. I'm not a big Ozzie fan, either. But I did hit Lou Pinella with a peanut in left when he was a player. Too bad it wasn't a truck? ;)

Oh, come on! Lou is great (as long as he's not managing MY team....)! hahahaha. If you're going to get ejected, at least get your money's worth!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX036rh4k2E) Tito rarely gets ejected, but I know he doesn't come CLOSE to getting his money's worth on his ejections. I think he just tells them, "Well, I will continue to politely disagree with your opinion, but I understand it's your right to think that. Oh, am I being ejected? Well, thank you, kindly. I do have some chores I can get done around the house, after I shower, of course."

Is this not the greatest meltdown ever (not Lou, it's even BETTER)???? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UdDsgB22s) It's so good, I almost have to believe the whole thing was staged. Still funny, no matter how many times I've watched it. It's double A ball, btw, it's not the MLB Braves.

Killa Milla
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
i think they shuold because they get paid millions of dollars for hitting balls. and next to the money they get put on TV

Baroncad
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
The house that babe built has turned into the house that A-Fraud destroyed.

Sorry, but I have to correct you on this. The House that Ruth built is being DESTROYED by the Steinbrenner's greed (Papa George and Baby Hank)

Alex the great (pretender) will turn NY around, when I don't know but it will happen (yeah, right and I'll be whisked away by Paris Hilton and Marilyn Mason for a Catholic retreat.)

The Yanks will be back, so they didn't make the playoffs, first time since what 1995? and yes they haven't won the Series since 2000. But, the run "the bums" had prior is not to shabby.

ArtVandelay
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
i think they shuold because they get paid millions of dollars for hitting balls. and next to the money they get put on TV

You make it sound so easy!!! hahahahaha.

I dunno. I'm entirely too biased when it comes to baseball. You shouldn't take my opinions too seriously. It's easily my favorite sport, by a long shot. If I could somehow manage to watch every Red Sox game in Fenway for the rest of my life, but I could never bowl again, I wouldn't even hesitate.

Everything about baseball just SCREAMS American to me. Some of the best memories of my life happened in Fenway, just taking in a beautiful Boston summer day with my grandfather, cracking peanuts on the ground, talking a bit about nothing and anything. Such a great game!!!!

ArtVandelay
11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Sorry, but I have to correct you on this. The House that Ruth built is being DESTROYED by the Steinbrenner's greed (Papa George and Baby Hank)

Alex the great (pretender) will turn NY around, when I don't know but it will happen (yeah, right and I'll be whisked away by Paris Hilton and Marilyn Mason for a Catholic retreat.)

The Yanks will be back, so they didn't make the playoffs, first time since what 1995? and yes they haven't won the Series since 2000. But, the run "the bums" had prior is not to shabby.

A rod is a CURSE, I TELL YOU!!!! I have never, in my life, seen emptier numbers. He is the master of turning a 10 run deficit into a 9 run deficit with a single swing of the bat. When runners are on the corners, one out, it's almost guaranteed he will strike out OR hit into the inning ending double play. Once I read your post, I immediately started looking for a page I saw a couple months ago. Someone put together a great system for determining clutch hitting. Over the last 5 years, A-Rod was listed in the bottom 4th of the league. That 5 year span INCLUDED his MVP 2003 season with the Texas Rangers who finished with a losing record (I think they were 70-92, or something like that, I can't remember exactly, but I think they were about a 70 win team that year).

I understand your sarcasm, but there's really no reason for it. I live in Texas, I've seen what the guy can do. When the Red Sox were THAT CLOSE to getting A-Rod, I was beside myself with grief. I didn't want him, and I'm one of the few who felt that way. When the Yankees got him, I really thought, "Watch him change.... Watch him become a great clutch hitter, settling into the cleanup spot of that lineup... Watch, we really are cursed!!! He could have been on the Sox, and I didn't want him, but now he's a yankee. I will never see this team win." It didn't happen! BUT, he did provide some of the more memorable moments I've ever seen, as a Red Sox fan (think: Jason Varitek's glove to the face, the purse slap incident.... etc.).

Enjoy him. Just don't expect anything out of him. He's not going anywhere with that contract, that's for sure......

ddrs1330
11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
i think there should be no salary cap. hey if your good enough to get the money than you are good enough to spend as much as you need to get a player. the yankees couldnt afford all these players if they didnt when the penants so i think that they deserve to spend as much money on who they want because they derserve from winning all those penants

ArtVandelay
11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
i think there should be no salary cap. hey if your good enough to get the money than you are good enough to spend as much as you need to get a player. the yankees couldnt afford all these players if they didnt when the penants so i think that they deserve to spend as much money on who they want because they derserve from winning all those penants

Sound logic. Your first post in in a bowling forum was in the baseball thread. I think you and I will get along just fine!!!!

Welcome to the board, man!

Baroncad
11-24-2008, 12:56 PM
A rod is a CURSE, I TELL YOU!!!! I understand your sarcasm, but there's really no reason for it. I live in Texas, I've seen what the guy can do.

I was not being sarcastic, I truly believe A-Rod was a mistake, that has yet to be realized. Post season he disappears, POOF!!! gone.

Please read this again:
"Alex the great (pretender) will turn NY around, when I don't know but it will happen (yeah, right and I'll be whisked away by Paris Hilton and Marilyn Mason for a Catholic retreat.)"

I was being lighthearted, but true full.

ArtVandelay
11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I was not being sarcastic, I truly believe A-Rod was a mistake, that has yet to be realized. Post season he disappears, POOF!!! gone.

Please read this again:
"Alex the great (pretender) will turn NY around, when I don't know but it will happen (yeah, right and I'll be whisked away by Paris Hilton and Marilyn Mason for a Catholic retreat.)"

I was being lighthearted, but true full.

Yeah. Your sarcasm was in the text, your explanation of said sarcasm is in the parenthesis. I got it! hahahaha. I think he's a huge mistake too. And I think NY knows he's a huge mistake, and I'm willing to be the majority were disappointed when they gave him the contract he wanted.

The KingPin
12-01-2008, 08:36 PM

I think the yankees are turning players greedy as they pay crazy amount of money to players. so then medium players want more money.

I also believe that the yankees are like an all star team themselves.

I know many people who love it when the yankees lose a game and also miss the playoffs. Its like spend all of this money and not make it to the world series. Great time.

Cerberus
12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Well I think baseball is the one sport where that does not apply. If you capped the teams, then you would take away from the tradition. They already have profit sharing setup to get the teams in smaller markets more money. Plus with the way free agency is structured, buying players is not a guarantee you will win. I think success should be rewarded. And the greatest argument against this is the Florida Marlins. Twice they have made the playoffs, twice they have won the world series. The smaller market teams have chance. It is up to them to survive on what they get.

comfortably numb
07-26-2011, 12:07 PM

In 1970 I was at a game in the Astrodome, and in pre-game batting practice, the pitchers were screwing around in the outfield, and a batter hit one over the fence. I scrambled to pick it up, but my Dad told me I should throw it back onto the field, so I did...and missed Earl Wilson, the pitcher, by about 1 foot!!!

MICHAEL
07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
YES! Until then, like Football, I have lost all interest in baseball! We will never again have a winning team! We train them, then they go to big money, the good ones!!
I use to watch baseball, but don't waste my time anymore!! The Royals will never amount to anything!! Its all about MONEY!!!

J Anderson
07-07-2012, 08:30 AM
YES! Until then, like Football, I have lost all interest in baseball! We will never again have a winning team! We train them, then they go to big money, the good ones!!
I use to watch baseball, but don't waste my time anymore!! The Royals will never amount to anything!! Its all about MONEY!!!

But wouldn't that be a form of having a handicap? Just asking, 'cause I really agree with you on this. Until MLB realizes that its not good to have the major market teams buy championships. As long as this is allowed the value of the product will continue to erode until when your great grandchildren ask "What's Baseball?" the answer will be a sport played in the Dominican Republic.

billf
07-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Ummm, baseball does have a salary cap in place. The problem is teams can pay a 'tax' when they exceed the cap. I'm fairly disgusted with pro baseball players. A team drafts them, signs them, nurtures them and at the first chance many of these players leave for the big bucks. Guys like Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer sign for less to show loyalty to the team and fans. The flip side with some teams is as soon as the player's value goes up, they trade them for a handful of prospects. So why should a player sign for a million or two a year less just to get traded? It's a mess and I have no good answer to fix it.

The German Shepherd
07-07-2012, 08:22 PM
There is already a luxury tax in place, right? A Salary cap would certainly help to level the playimng field, but do we really want that?

Jay (A lifelong Yankee fan and unapologetically so...)

CrimsonEncounter
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I've always thought that MLB needed a salary cap. You look at the teams in the major markets (New York, LA) and the success they've had over the year, whereas teams like KC and Pittsburgh (small market teams) always struggle to stay out of last place. Granted, this year, the Pirates have done some good things and are going to have their first winning season this century. Teams like the Yankees and Angels are the teams that always go after the biggest free agents and then jack up ticket prices so that they can pay these overhyped prima-donnas. It's ridiculous.