PDA

View Full Version : Hello From NJ!

DillanEllison
11-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Hello ALL!

My name is Dillan. I am from NJ. Born and raised.

A little bit about myself. I was born in the bowling business. My father has worked in the bowling business since he was 17. When I was born, he was working as a head mechanic at a bowling center called Erie Lanes in Philadelphia. My dad was a single parent, so I would spend 5 days a week in a bowling center. When I was old enough to join a junior league on Saturday mornings, that is what I did. At that point, I was living in Madison, NJ and my father was the head mechanic for a bowling center called Plaza Lanes. I bowled all the way through High School. Attended a high school 40 minutes from my house for the sole purpose that they had a bowling team. Played for my high school's Varsity bowling team all four years. Really had a blast. After high school, I moved to Jacksonville, FL and lost interest in the bowling business completely. I wanted no parts of it. The only interests I had were working, females, and females ;)

I moved back to New Jersey in August after spending two years in Florida. I came back to get involved in the bowling business again. As a career this time. I'm still not much interested in the bowling part of it , but I am interested in the career field. With that said, I got a job in a AMF house as a mechanic in Wilmington, DE a few days after returning to NJ. Since then , I have been involved in the Pro Shop part of things. I am fascinated by bowling Pro Shops. I think the entire idea of them is simply amazing. So, I started my own eBay store selling discounted Pro Shop items. At the moment, I have a small selection of things at discount prices because I am still starting out. But surely moving forward, and fast.

So that is a little about me. I am really looking forward to being involved in the threads and meeting a lot of great people. Also, I am really looking forward to learning new things and being able to share my current knowledge.

- Now, my father is a bowling part manufacturer. In simple form, he makes the parts to keep the machine running.

Dillan

scottymoney
11-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Welcome! We have a lot of bowlers here but not too many mechanic/pro shop type guys. It would be nice to get your point of view being on the other side of things.

J Anderson
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
- Now, my father is a bowling part manufacturer. In simple form, he makes the parts to keep the machine running.

Dillan

Welcome!

Does this mean that the manufacturer is no longer supporting their equipment? Or has your dad invented a better mousetrap, i.e. makes parts that are better than the originals?

noeymc
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
welcome do u sell ugg boots? u could start a lot of cheep deals on them on this site :) welcome again

The German Shepherd
11-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the Boards!

Jay

Greenday
11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Ah, a fellow New Jerseyian. I'm up in Monmouth County. I'm guessing you are south of me if you work in Delaware. That'd be a ridiculous commute from my area.

Welcome to the boards.

striker12
11-27-2012, 04:50 PM
hello welcome to the boards.

DillanEllison
11-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Welcome!

Does this mean that the manufacturer is no longer supporting their equipment? Or has your dad invented a better mousetrap, i.e. makes parts that are better than the originals?

Well, over the years, like everything else, things need improving. If there is no room for improvement, things need to be made in a more cost efficient way. That is what my father does.

Some things he manufactures are from scratch (parts that were never thought of to make the pinsetter smoother). Some parts he makes are similar to the original but are tweaked around a bit to make them better than the original. He also manufactures the same parts as the original just in a "cheaper way". Not that the product itself is cheaper, but the cost of making the product is cheaper. That way it can be sold for cheaper. Also, he manufactures the standard parts the same as the original.

I hope this helps you better understand.

Ah, a fellow New Jerseyian. I'm up in Monmouth County. I'm guessing you are south of me if you work in Delaware. That'd be a ridiculous commute from my area.

Welcome to the boards.

Thank you! I am in Camden County. It is about 40 minutes up 295 from Delaware. Does become a bit of an annoying drive by Friday. lol

Welcome! We have a lot of bowlers here but not too many mechanic/pro shop type guys. It would be nice to get your point of view being on the other side of things.

welcome do u sell ugg boots? u could start a lot of cheep deals on them on this site :) welcome again

Welcome to the Boards!

Jay

hello welcome to the boards.

Thanks Guys! I really do appreciate it!

billf
11-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. The more knowledge the better. I have heard of mechanics that didn't bowl but I don't think I've ever heard of a person working in the pro shop that didn't bowl. Glad you're in the business and who knows, maybe one day the bowling bug will bite again.

J Anderson
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Well, over the years, like everything else, things need improving. If there is no room for improvement, things need to be made in a more cost efficient way. That is what my father does.

Some things he manufactures are from scratch (parts that were never thought of to make the pinsetter smoother). Some parts he makes are similar to the original but are tweaked around a bit to make them better than the original. He also manufactures the same parts as the original just in a "cheaper way". Not that the product itself is cheaper, but the cost of making the product is cheaper. That way it can be sold for cheaper. Also, he manufactures the standard parts the same as the original.

I hope this helps you better understand.

Yes it does. Should your father ever ask you for help in marketing the term is "Produced more efficiently" not in a "cheaper way".
Always glad to hear that some things are still made here.

Brother_jd
11-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the boards!

75lockwood
11-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the boards!

Bizwan65
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Welcome from a fellow Jerseyite.

ArtVandelay
12-02-2012, 02:54 PM
New Jersey, huh? What exit?

I'm in Texas now, but I was born in Morristown, and I still have family in Cedar Grove and a cousin in Bergenfield. My Old Man was Maplewood back in the day.

Welcome to the forums.

GeoLes
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Hello ALL!

At that point, I was living in Madison, NJ and my father was the head mechanic for a bowling center called Plaza Lanes.

Small world Dillan, I live 1 mile from Plaza Lanes. I have been jokingly trying to get them to change the name to "Rose City Lanes". I bowl league at Hanover Lanes, however (about 5 miles from Plaza Lanes.) I am new to this forum too, and am glad to meet someone who has at least been colse to home.

Greenday
12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I feel like we are getting enough people from New Jersey that we could hold a small tournament!

ArtVandelay
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I'll send my pops on my behalf... He'll be in Cedar Grove for Christmas. hahahahaha. NJ isn't like Texas where driving from one part of the state to the other can take 10 hours- wait... With traffic, it kind of is (or at least feels like it!)!!! hahahahaha.

GeoLes
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM

No, but I do have a bowling shirt that will add 100 pins to your score.

RoccoRock
12-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I feel like we are getting enough people from New Jersey that we could hold a small tournament!

You should put one together, maybe I'll make the drive from Long Island and roll with ya!