PDA

View Full Version : Took another lesson. Got a new revelation

GeoLes
11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I played hooky at league last week. I prebowled and went to Hazlet for another group lesson with my wife. I was hoping to fine tune my swing, improve slide or something. Instead I came away with a simple thing.

I struggled for the longest with 10-pin pickups. Sometimes it was right on and effortless, other times I either miss just left or dump the ball in the channel. It seems I had two problems.

Firstly:
My first step instead of being straight at my mark was to the right. (I did not know that). It forced me to compress my shoulder and swing accross my body in order to stay on mark. I must have developed this habit when I switched back to 4-step delivery. It is natural for me to take the first step to the outside. It was improved by doing 3-steps instead. 3-steps also gives my ball less time to "stray" during the swing, so I feel more control.

Secondly:
My flat release was inconsistent. Sometimes the pinky added too much so I got almost a backup roll, sometimes not enough pinky and the ball would break left down lane. He showed me a simple wrist setup. Place the ball weighted as far right (I am right-handed) as possible with all the weight borne by the index finger knuckle pad and thumb. The weight block is now locked outside where it cannot cause the ball to turn. Upon release, He instructed me to simply flatten the wrist forward, leaving the pinky back, essentially forcing the ball to roll off the first 3 fingers. This caused the ball to roll dead flat dispite the weight block offset.

By visually pointing my middle and index fingers at my selected arrow upon relaese, I have pin-point accuracy. I learned also that I have to get the ball forward at the point of release. An early release causes the ball to err right and into the channel.

So simple and effortless when done right. Wju can't everything be that simple?

Greenday
11-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Hazlet is where I've been taking my balls to get drilled. The guy I take my balls to there really knows his stuff. I've been to a few shops to try to working on fixing my holes so my thumb wouldn't rip. Finally took it to him and I haven't had a problem since.

Adjusting my index and pinky fingers is what did it for me for my spare shots. Bring my index finger all the way in, spread my pink out, and my ball no longer hooks. Magic!

Davec13
11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
It's always so simple when you have someone there watching you. When you get to league though those old bad habits seem to come back and haunt you.

I have been told by a few people with 10 pins to squeeze your pinky and index finger together and that will stop the rotation. There are so many ways to get the same thing accomplished in this sport you need to figure out what works for you and stick to that.

AZBowla
11-27-2012, 05:36 PM
For 10's and 7's I just stand in front of the opposite gutter and loft it right at it. Usually works.... :D

GoodGorilla
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm probably going to get coaching for spare shooting, because it seems to be my biggest problem. However, I am about to start going to the lanes to just practice spare shots. If that doesn't work, I will need a lesson.

GeoLes
11-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Hazlet is where I've been taking my balls to get drilled. The guy I take my balls to there really knows his stuff. I've been to a few shops to try to working on fixing my holes so my thumb wouldn't rip. Finally took it to him and I haven't had a problem since.

Adjusting my index and pinky fingers is what did it for me for my spare shots. Bring my index finger all the way in, spread my pink out, and my ball no longer hooks. Magic!

It' a great place too. "Johnny O" is a great coach. He used to run the pro shop. Now he does Monday night workshops at $20 a head. A bargain. He has a great attitude and great insight. I agree about the pro shop. It is the best shop I have used. They are open during most bowling center hours, including Saturday and Sunday. They do really nice work at reasonable prices and are stocked with mostly anything you may need. What more could you ask for.

Where else do you bowl? I live in Northern Jersey and normally bowl at either Hanover lanes in Hanover, or Plaza Lanes in Madison (closest to my home). Both lanes have very limited pro shop hours. My league bowls out of Hanover lanes.