PDA

View Full Version : Ball Help

Sylar1255
11-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey this is a link to a small video of me bowling. I throw a Columbia 300 Cuda/c Pearl.

http://s7.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/BoundDoc/VID00027.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Can anyone give me better ball suggestions or tips on how to bowl better.

Thanks a lot.

Ernesto

ArtVandelay
11-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Hey this is a link to a small video of me bowling. I throw a Columbia 300 Cuda/c Pearl.

http://s7.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/BoundDoc/VID00027.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Can anyone give me better ball suggestions or tips on how to bowl bette.

Thanks a lot.

Ernesto

Hey, man! Welcome to the board. Honestly, I am not the best one to answer any questions, there are FAR more qualified people (with better averages than me) to really help. But I thought I'd chime in and see if I can't offer two cents.

First, have you ever considered taking a lesson? There are many USBC certified coaches all over the states who can help. We even have a few on this board. They would be able to really take a long look at what you're doing and offer some great advice on technique. On this board, we only have that clip you posted, and it's hard to tell too much from just one clip, ya know? If you're really wanting to bowl better, investing in a lesson or two might be worth it for you!

The first thing I noticed was the approach. Having a good approach is key, because if your approach is off, then everything else will be as well. Everyone has their own approach, and none is wrong, necessarily, but have you put much thought into your approach, and footwork? I noticed a bit of a hop in the approach, is that intentional? Getting a good approach goes a long way, and while it takes a little thought at first, with time it becomes effortless.

Is your thumb in the ball? It's really hard to tell on the video, but it almost looks like you're palming it. Now, I've seen people bowl well by palming the ball, but I think if you want good consistency, the thumb is the way to go. It almost seems like you dropped the ball a bit, that might be because of the thumb? I dunno... It was a bit tough for me to tell, I'm sure someone else on here could help you better.

The ball bounced pretty hard on the initial throw. That shouldn't happen. You might have dropped it a bit, or you could be releasing it too early, and the initial energy is going straight into the boards instead of down the lane towards the pins, causing the ball to bounce. That bounce could also have an effect on the rotation you are getting on the ball (but more doesn't mean better).

The last thing I noticed is while you TECHNICALLY hit the pocket, it looks like you came in high, and that's why you left those pins. Your left foot is lined up with the gutter when you release the ball. On those lane conditions, move over a few boards. Assuming you do everything else the same, it should move out a bit wider, and hit the pocket a bit lower, maybe resulting in a strike.

The only other thing I kind of noticed: Your ball seems to flatten out. When I first watched that video, my initial reaction was, "Oh, that's brooklyn," but it didn't stay on the curve I thought it would, it straightened out. A bowling coach should be able to fix that, and that should help you hit the pocket harder.

Welcome again!

Sylar1255
11-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey Thanks a lot for those pointers.

Any and all tips, pointers, and criticisms are accepts and will be considers so please help me out.

And to answer your question. I put my thumb in the hole, but I turn my hand to the side.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/BoundDoc/th_IMG_0638.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/BoundDoc/?action=view&current=IMG_0638.jpg)

ArtVandelay
11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
not a problem, but like I said before: Don't take my word for it. There are others on this board who are far more qualified to help you out. I really think the way to go is investing in a couple lessons. A certified bowling coach could do wonders for your game.

Sylar1255
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey
can anyone please help me some more.
Thanks

kev3inp
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Have you tried going straighter? You can play "bounce off the dry on the right," but I think it's a lot harder to be accurate that way. Leaving a five, at least to us, usually means the ball has lost its drive and deflects off the pins. That seems odd considering your entry angle, but it could well be. You get a lot of revs, it looks like, but the ball has to be burning up if it's deflecting that much. "No drive, no five."

Sylar1255
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
I think you maybe right, because I decided to go straighter for my last game and got an 8- bagger and scored a
235. So I can try that more often.

Any ball suggestions or gear suggestions. And Anyone else please help me with any tips no matter how small.

kev3inp
12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey, exellent shooting. I throw pretty straight myself, or with just a little belly on the ball, so I'm probably not the guy to give advice to your style of player. But hey, the good news is I return to bowling this week!! I'm using older equipment, too. Mostly my Absolute Inferno, then my Equation2. I've been thinking about the Cell and the Cell Pearl, but haven't finished my research yet.

onefrombills
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
OK well here is what I see ...........

Your thumb looks to come out a little fast (that makes the ball "drop" onto the lane and do that double dribble)

You pop up as soon as you let go of the ball and have no knee bend.....ALL EASY TO FIX

More knee bend and staying with the shot will keep you balance at the line

I do see that your shoulder is down....stay relaxed as you move the ball from step 1 till release.

NOW on to the ball path of this one shot you are too far left. ( yes I know its great to see the ball hook 20 boards but I prefer to strike more than hook the lane and shoot 145)

I really hope this helps and go to your local pro shop and have them watch you throw a few shots ...if you were at my shop I would help ya out