PDA

View Full Version : Teach me to relax my hand

Rdmonster
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
That's pretty much it.... I'm sure I'm gripping it at the worst time.ill pull it or my thumb will stick. I could use some mental images or tips on how best to achieve it. I read a good tip I will try...to feel the grip only in my fingers pressing against the ball ...thumb just neutral.....sound right?

I have had decent luck if I feel like im extending the thumb but sometimes I still try to grip it halfway through and this leads to inconsistency.... I'm happy with how I've been bowling but feel like I should be working on this.

noeymc
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
think grip only with fingers thumb out first

Zothen
11-30-2012, 01:23 AM
I had same problem and that problem was the thumb hole was loose. I put a piece of thumb tape on back of my thumb and it fits much better. I also put tape in thumb hole when my thumb shrinks. Also try not to think about your thumb sticking or it will,just relax!

Zothen

AZBowla
11-30-2012, 04:58 AM
Ah the thumb hole, my nemesis as well... Now that mine's adjusted right, I haven't gotten stuck in it anymore, but I did drop the ball once last time lol... what I do now is, at the top of my backswing, I give it just a little squeeze. Then as I come back down into the release, I relax my hand and voila, off comes the ball right when I want it to without me having to think any further about it. Give it a try, it might work for you too so long as you remember to relax your hand once the ball starts heading back down.

ztbowler15
12-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I have a tip for you. When you pick up your ball, put your fingers in the holes first then the thumb. Then when you are standing on the approach, let your hand relax in the ball before you go. if you are gripping the ball it may be because your thumb hole is too big, or the finger holes are. Also if your thumb is sticking in the hole try putting tape on your thumb, then there is pretty much no way it can stick.

billf
12-01-2012, 10:34 PM
At the top of the back swing I try to feel the back of my thumb touching the ball and hold that feeling through the finish position. One item that helped me learn how tight my thumb could really get and still come out clean was the shur-cushion. My thumb hole was always way too big then compared to now.

LonelyBowler
12-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Just push it away and let the ball fall on your hand and just let it drop. If the ball falls off your hand well so what, balls fall on the lanes every time someone bowls. If it falls it needs a snugger thumb hole. Then after you get used to this your hand will have the confidence.

GoodGorilla
12-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Probably has already been mentioned, but the first thing you need is a ball with a perfect fit. The ball should hang on to you with no grip pressure at all, and be able to be released with a very small movement. Next thing is not putting any grip pressure on it, no cup if you have to. Then when on the release, just let the ball roll off your hand, don't try to do anything to it. If you do all that, that should be the most relaxed release which you can work off of.