PDA

View Full Version : Candlepin Bowling

ArtVandelay
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I know I live in Texas, but when I was growing up I lived in Connecticut, and spent a great deal of my time in Massachusetts. When I was little, I remember my grandfather used to take me bowling all the time, because it was one of HIS favorite things to do. When I got down to Texas, I noticed their concept of bowling was very strange. The balls were about twice the size, had holes in them, and the pins were HUGE!!! I really never knew there were other ways to bowl. I guess my grandfather enjoyed candlepin better.

SO... Who's a candlepin bowler? Who has bowled candlepin (I realize this is probably a north east only thing, but you never know...)? I won't lie, I kind of miss it. People in Texas generally look at me like I'm crazy if I bring it up.

I was very close to my grandfather, this kind of reminds me of him.

I decided to do some research for those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about. It really is fascinating, and operates very much the same as the 10 pin bowling we know and love. The main difference is you get 3 balls per frame. The last time I remember bowling candlepin, I was 8 years old, I'm 25 now, so my memory might be a bit sketchy (and I'm too lazy to read the wikipedia page I'm posting for those who want to read more about it). Basically, the first two count just like in normal 10 pin bowling. HOWEVER, if you leave pins after the first 2 throws, you get to throw a 3rd, but the frame is closed. So if you knock down 4 on the first ball, 4 on the 2nd ball, and 2 on the 3rd ball, the frame closes with a score of 10, and what you do in the next frame doesn't matter. In addition, fallen pins are not removed from the field of play like they are in 10 pin.

So here's the wikipedia page: Candlepin Bowlling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling)

Here's a youtube video that should give you a bit of an idea how it works: Candlepin Bowling - Paul Berger's Legendary 500 Triple prt. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIsJbQUyuA) Notice this is for a 500 3-game series. Candlepin bowling is quite a bit harder than 10 pin. Notice that they announce one of the players averages as a 127. hahahaha. A bit different, huh? A perfect game is 300, just like in 10 pin. HOWEVER, I've never heard of a 300 game, and while I'm sure it's happened at some point, somewhere, it's very rare and next to impossible to pull off.

Here's an example on how the fallen pins are left and considered in play. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AbbdIR3KwA)

So, what do you think? Interesting? Not interesting? I don't know why I was thinking about it, but here it is!

Baroncad
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I grew up on Long Island and I never heard of candlepin bowling. A friend here in Texas who's from New Brunswick, Canada also inquired if I ever played candlepin, then enlightened me about it and showed me some vids on Youtube.

I enjoy tenpin, but wouldn't mind giving candlepin a go.

Is candlepin still played? The videos I saw where 10-20 years old.

ArtVandelay
11-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I grew up on Long Island and I never heard of candlepin bowling. A friend here in Texas who's from New Brunswick, Canada also inquired if I ever played candlepin, then enlightened me about it and showed me some vids on Youtube.

I enjoy tenpin, but wouldn't mind giving candlepin a go.

Is candlepin still played? The videos I saw where 10-20 years old.

As far as I know it's still played. I think it's mostly a Massachusetts thing. I don't think they televise it anymore. I used to watch it on tv with my cousin and grandfather. Apparently the guy who used to broadcast it died, and that was sort of the end of that.

I think it's kind of neat. I wish it was bigger (that's what she said). It brings back old memories. I'd like to give it a go. I read something that said if you're a 200 average in 10 pin (I'm not), you'd be lucky to break 90 in candlepin. It's kind of neat, IMHO.

kev3inp
11-26-2008, 04:07 AM
There used to be a couple of candlepin alleys in Wisconsin, too, but they've since gone by. A guy at work from Conn/Mass area says he thinks there's only one candlepin place left in the area he was from and he's never seen it anyplace else.

ArtVandelay
11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
There used to be a couple of candlepin alleys in Wisconsin, too, but they've since gone by. A guy at work from Conn/Mass area says he thinks there's only one candlepin place left in the area he was from and he's never seen it anyplace else.

That stinks. Guess there's just not a market for it. I haven't done it since I was 8, and at that age, it's just throwing it down the lane. I wish there was an alley in my area so I could try it now. Looks really challenging when I look at it these days.