PDA

View Full Version : IQ Tour Pearl ball review by Storm Staffer Scott Widmer

SWidmer
11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Storm's Intent:
The IQ Tour Edition quickly became the new standard for benchmark balls in the industry. The C3™ Centripetal Control Core is engineered to yield ample midlane roll while smoothing out the transition. People have loved the unique combination of low RG and low differential as it allows even high rev players to better control the breakpoint.

We added a new highly polished, pearl R2S™ coverstock to this phenomenal core to create a combination that makes this a MUST HAVE ball in everyone’s arsenal. You’ll be able to see the difference as this ball reads the midlane without over-responding to the friction at the end of the oil pattern. Then the real magic happens; it reads the backends with unparalleled consistency through the pocket.

My review:
My layout is 50 degrees X 4 1/8 inches pin to PAP X 2 1/2" pin buffer
My PAP is 5 1/2 inches over and 1/2 inch up

I chose this layout because it's an exact match to an IQ Tour that I have and love the reaction I get from it but most of the time I can't use it because it kicks too hard off the dry. I was hoping to see a smoother a slightly later reaction. What I ended up with was exactly that and I'm very happy with the results.

So far I have thrown the IQ Tour Pearl on a 44' house shot in league and 38' Atlanta sport shot at the NEBA Tournament of Champions and the ball performed very well on both patterns.

The reaction shape is smooth, doesn't overreact when hitting dry, but continues through the pins very well. This reaction was very evident when bowling on the shorter 38' Atlanta pattern.

On Atlanta I started the day farther right but once I got settled in the last 3 games of qualifying I played 14 at the arrows and was getting the ball out to 6 at the break point. Looking around I thought the IQ Tour Pearl gave me a great chance to make a run in match play but unfortunately I ran into a buzz saw and was high loser in the round of 16.

On the 44' house shot I finished the night playing 20 at the arrows and getting the ball out to 8 at the break point. Typically on this house shot I can get into trouble with under/over as the night goes on. The IQ Tour Pearl got better as the night went on, striking more in each successive game and allowed me to create some room to the right at the break point without diving through the face.

Overall this is my new go-to pearl and benchmark ball. I will definitely be trying some other favorite layouts on this ball in the near future. Don't be afraid to try a stronger/earlier rolling layout on this ball, it may be exactly what you're missing in your bag.

Ball video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftpagl7iCA