PDA

View Full Version : 10 frames with pba superstars

onefrombills
11-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Find out more about your favorite PBA Superstars! See Bill O'Neill's responses below and be on the lookout for more PBA players in the future.

Bill O'Neill

1.) When did you realize that you wanted to become a professional bowler?

I realized it probably after my first couple of years of college bowling. I had some good success in the college game, plus I was able to compete at a high level in amateur bowling. I bowled against some of the guys who were on tour when they bowled the megabucks in Las Vegas and thought I could compete at that level.

2.) What was the biggest obstacle you overcame to become a professional bowler?

The biggest obstacle was definitely making it out of the tour trials. Looking back at that tournament I realize how lucky I am to be exempt, I only made the cut by 7 seven pins. If I didn't make it out of that tournament, who knows where I would be today.

3.) What is your favorite childhood bowling memory?

My favorite childhood memory was bowling a doubles league with my brother and we shot 596 one game, I had 300 and he had 296. It was pretty special for me because he was only 13 years old; it's something I will never forget.

4.) Finish the sentence: “Growing up, the bowling center was my...”

After school hangout.

5.) Did you have a bowling role model as a kid and if so why that person?

My bowling role model was Pete Weber. I loved his intensity on the lanes; he just looked like he couldn't be beat.

6.) What is your biggest strength?

I think my biggest strength is my passion for the game. It's not easy to do what we do for what we get paid. The love of the game is what keeps me motivated to get better and come out here year after year.

7.) What is your biggest weakness?

My biggest weakness is that I tend to ride the emotional roller coaster too much. When things are going well I sometimes doubt myself and my ability.

8.) How old were you when you received your first bowling ball and how did it make you feel to have your very own?

I think I was 10 or 11 and my dad bought me a Columbia U Dot. I was really happy because my dad had one and I wanted to be like him.

9.) What is your favorite bowling ball of all time?

My favorite bowling ball of all time would have to be the Brunswick Danger Zone. I used it all throughout my junior bowling days, I didn't go anywhere without that ball.

10.) What advice would you give to someone who aspires to become a professional bowler?

I always tell people to make sure they have success in the lower levels of bowling before coming out on tour. If you didn't beat anyone in the amateur ranks and you aren't beating anyone in the PBA regionals, what makes you think you can beat the guys on tour?