PDA

View Full Version : Issue with "closing the deal"!!!

vise17
12-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I struggle with "finding the shot" moving pair to pair during sport shot tournaments. Generally, the first 4 frames are a wash for me. So with that said this may be a two part thread. My other issue is closing the deal. First question, do I continue to start in the same area as the previous pair? Or do I need to look at where everyone else is playing in front of me? Second, it seems that "closing the deal" is all mental for me. What exercises can I work on for prepping my mind and concentration level to be ready for setting me up earlier in a set? Or can this be a physical change too?

billf
12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I always check out who is bowling on the pair I'm moving to and if I can see, the pair coming after that. I look to check what line they are playing, what's working and isn't. If there is someone playing with a similar style and hitting well, I start where they finish.
Given the trouble you're having reading the lane there is a chance that your issue to close the deal may be physical. You also could be mentally sabotaging your physical game. You would have to find the root cause to fix it. Is it failure to succeed? Don't think you deserve to win? Just assume you will not finish well?

LonelyBowler
12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
How do you bowl? If you bowl straight try to look to see if it is going to the left or to the right and then move your feet in the direction the ball goes.

GoodGorilla
12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't know if this will help you, but by only looking to see how many shots I have left to throw helps me. I don't look at my scores.

vise17
12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I dont feel that I am mentally sabotaging myself. In one series, I have made 4 of 5 match plays after a qualifier. It seems when practice hits I am searching so hard and fast to get a line(5 mins practice before), I lose options I feel. I take notes from each pair, but with 5 sets of guys bowling on it after me or whatever the case is, alot of times I find what worked before, is gone now. Then I feel I may get into panic mode. It seems no matter the pattern, I always reroute to going outside with my stronger equipment and then start migrating to the left to get to the hole. Wrong?

billf
12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Your practice time is a waste to find a line if it's not the lanes the next game is on. Early in a tournament day I go right with a strong ball and move left as the day progresses. Then when I get as far as I'm comfortable that day, I ball down and start over. Repeat as necessary.