PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Teacher s Strike....

75lockwood
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
So, it seems that the teachers are going to be going on 1 day strikes starting as early as December 10th.... It seems like i just more time to bowl :D

http://www.cp24.com/news/elementary-school-teachers-poised-to-hold-one-day-strikes-1.1060246

striker12
12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
lol nice i never knew if my teachers went on strike when i went to school i wass barly there i was more staying home and sleeping in my bed lol

AZBowla
12-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I never got to skip class because of a teacher's strike but I did get to skip out on handing my parents a poor progress report because of it one year. The teachers held onto them as a form of protest. The parents weren't happy about that but most of us kids were thrilled. :)

Have fun going bowling you lucky stiff... back in my day if we wanted to go bowling instead of going to school we had to ditch class.

AND WE LIKED IT!!

LOL....

75lockwood
12-03-2012, 11:36 AM
I never got to skip class because of a teacher's strike but I did get to skip out on handing my parents a poor progress report because of it one year. The teachers held onto them as a form of protest. The parents weren't happy about that but most of us kids were thrilled. :)

Have fun going bowling you lucky stiff... back in my day if we wanted to go bowling instead of going to school we had to ditch class.

AND WE LIKED IT!!

LOL....

LOL, this isn't the best part..... i might get to bowl for a school course... but thats for another thread ;)

AZBowla
12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
LOL, this isn't the best part..... i might get to bowl for a school course... but thats for another thread ;)

Darn you Canadians! Free health care, outstanding chocolate and now bowling classes in school???? That's it, I'm moving.

I remember in 6th grade we had a weeklong "fun" class about bowling actually. We learned how to keep score manually and the rules of the game and so on, and then as a class we took a field trip that Friday to the local lanes and bowled a few games. I think the teacher just wanted to go bowling, lol. She was actually pretty good at it. Probably was on a league or something. She offered a week of no homework to anyone who could beat her score but of course none of us could. :) Still, I'm jealous. I would have LOVED a whole class of bowling in High School, even though lugging around a bowling bag all semester would not have been fun.

striker12
12-03-2012, 12:11 PM
one day in grade 9 or 10 are gym class did a field trip to go bowling are teaching did the same thing made a bet with everyone but it was not no homework it was $50 gift card to somewhere but that's to who ever beats him in any games and i beat him in all 3 games he was a good bowler too his gmaes where 189-192-187 but mine where 201-223-232 lol never told him i was a bowler so i had the advantage free $150

noeymc
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
lol nice i never knew if my teachers went on strike when i went to school i wass barly there i was more staying home and sleeping in my bed lol

i feel that bro lol

striker12
12-03-2012, 02:05 PM
i feel that bro lol

yeah it was hard getting up at 6am only day i mostly went to school was eather for a field trip and somedays i ended up going when your was a test and passing it with out not even knowing the answer

SSG
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
It seems like every other day our teachers are striking about something different, its starting to get rediculous! enjoy the extra day on the laneS!

75lockwood
12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
It seems like every other day our teachers are striking about something different, its starting to get rediculous! enjoy the extra day on the laneS!

Haha, it's so true. honestly i don't like the idea of unions, every other job in the world you agree on a wage before hand and get a cost of living increase every year or so. all unions do is give reason for argument and drama, that and protect the jobs of people who don't want to work hard.

o well, more bowling so i don't mind :D

AZBowla
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Haha, it's so true. honestly i don't like the idea of unions, every other job in the world you agree on a wage before hand and get a cost of living increase every year or so. all unions do is give reason for argument and drama, that and protect the jobs of people who don't want to work hard.

Teachers and other public sector jobs have a harder time of it due to the fact that they are government funded, and goverments like to spend too much money and then cut things like education or other public services to make up for it. Oftentimes, it's the teachers and not the bureaucrats who feel the pinch of such cuts. That's where the union comes in.

I work in a non-union job and have had several others prior to. In many of my jobs there was no annual increase, and in some there was even a pay cut in order to preserve the company's bottom line. Being in a union gives average joe employees like me a means to fight back against that sort of thing. Some unions take advantage of their position and demand unsustainable things (look at what's going on with Hostess at the moment) but for the most part, the union keeps the typical worker from being screwed over by their employer.

MICHAEL
12-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Unions are what created THE MIDDLE CLASS!! History and Science were my major! You, have NO IDEA what it was like before they came to be!! NO IDEA! NOW they,,, THE FAT CATS have many thinking they are all corrupt, self-serving organizations! That can be true, but look at the Wonderful Future workers at Walmart have now! Super low wages, benefits that eat up what little wages they make, while the FAT CATS are living the HIGH LIFE! Its say that the very people that would benefit the benefits of unions, fight against them!! SAD,,, that negative propaganda from the Rich Élite, works! I was the proud member of Ironworkers Local #10! VERY PROUD of my union, and the FAIR piece of the pie, they worked hard to get us Ironworkers! I get so sick of the mantra, unions are the problem! The REAL problem is GREED on the side of billion dollar companies!! I could go on for days about the things we take for granted that unions made possible! What’s sad is they are taking them BACK slowly,,,, year by year! So, it will again be, two classes of people, THE RICH,,,, and the POOR! I am done on this subject, and will not write on this form another thing about Union’s and their Great contributions to the forming of the MIDDLE CLASS!

ArtVandelay
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Next time there's a strike, of any kind, I just want to see this sign:

75lockwood
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Unions are what created THE MIDDLE CLASS!! History and Science were my major! You, have NO IDEA what it was like before they came to be!! NO IDEA! NOW they,,, THE FAT CATS have many thinking they are all corrupt, self-serving organizations! That can be true, but look at the Wonderful Future workers at Walmart have now! Super low wages, benefits that eat up what little wages they make, while the FAT CATS are living the HIGH LIFE! Its say that the very people that would benefit the benefits of unions, fight against them!! SAD,,, that negative propaganda from the Rich Élite, works! I was the proud member of Ironworkers Local #10! VERY PROUD of my union, and the FAIR piece of the pie, they worked hard to get us Ironworkers! I get so sick of the mantra, unions are the problem! The REAL problem is GREED on the side of billion dollar companies!! I could go on for days about the things we take for granted that unions made possible! What’s sad is they are taking them BACK slowly,,,, year by year! So, it will again be, two classes of people, THE RICH,,,, and the POOR! I am done on this subject, and will not write on this form another thing about Union’s and their Great contributions to the forming of the MIDDLE CLASS!

I agree with a lot of what you said, in a perfect world there would not be a need for unions, corporate greed is definitely an issue and i can see that the main idea behind unions is to protect employees from this. that being said this is what i have seen from my prospective on teacher's unions (in ontario) regarding the latest issues.

I can see why the unions are doing what they are, they are being stonewalled by the government and are not getting the reasonable cost of living increase they need. however, the way they are going about it in my mind is completely asinine; the main thing I've always heard about teacher's is that they became teachers because of the children, to help them learn and grow, not for the pay check. what was the first action during this wage battle? Cancellation of extracurricular activity's, field trips, extra help, etc. In what way is this what is best for the children? i'm sorry, but if you have a problem with the government, take it up with them, not the students, what did they do to deserve this?

As for my train of thought on getting a yearly cost of living increase, i was thinking of the not for profit organization that i have been interning at when i wrote this and do realize this is not the typical case for most employers. The world is not perfect, the rich get richer, the poor, poorer, and while i don't see union's as perfect, they do protect the jobs of many hard working people.

GeoLes
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM

In my opinion, teachers are under compensated. In many US high-population areas, they must purchase their own supplies out of their salaries. Where else in corporate America are you required to supply your own pens, postit notes, etc. The service they provide to society is invaluable.

As for them striking, I was not aware that they were such great bowlers. :)