PDA

View Full Version : Question about oil tracks

e-tank
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Ive been seeing alot of talk about different oil tracks or how pro shop drillers can look at you oil tracks to see your style.

i decided to take a look at my tracks last night in league and noticed that they were usually about 1/2 to 1'' to the left of the finger holes

I have no idea what they layout of the ball is because its my dads old ball so its drilled for him. So basically im wondering if theres anything you guys can tell me based on my oil tracks?

noeymc
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
i am not sure we can mostly you want to make sure they dont hit a drilled hole

here's some info on it

http://bowling.about.com/od/equipment/qt/Bowling-Ball-Tracks-Explained.htm

scottymoney
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
First off oil tracks to the left of the finger holes tell me your are a right hander.

2nd is it is one way to find your PAP. You can use the closest oil track to your finger holes.
The first 2 minutes of this video will show how they do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicFPNb0YHw

e-tank
12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you both. Its all cleared up for me. Would A pro shop charge to calculate your pap?

noeymc
12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
if u buy a ball from them no if u just ask maybe but I don't think they will

scottymoney
12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
They shouldn't. Just roll a couple balls during a game then take it to them. They just have to draw a couple lines and take a few measurements.

billf
12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Measuring the length of the oil track from one end to the other to determine axis tilt http://powerhousebowling.com/images/uploads/pdf/Axis_tilt_conversion_chart.pdf
The amount of the bow-tie can tell you the amount of flare.

Tampabaybob
12-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Quickest way to find your own pap, is to throw a couple of balls on fresh oil (after you've wiped off the oil), then put the ball on a table and with your thumbs and index fingers, put them on the oil track. Turn the ball so your holes are facing away from you and try to center the oil ring around the ball. Place a small round piece of tape on the top center of the ball and go throw it again. The tape "should be on the left side of the ball going down the lane and should move very little. You can adjust it little by little until the spot stays centered all the way down.

Bob

billf
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Left side of the ball??? During the skid phase I was taught it should be facing the bowler, centered giving the illusion that it's not moving. Now when it hits the mid-lane it will go left and take off like a rocket.

Tampabaybob
12-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Ok, Bill, your track is on the left side of the holes, correct ? So when you put your fingers on the track, and center the track towards the bottom, with the finger and thumb holes away from you, your PAP should be centered at the top. Right?

Bob

billf
12-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes. But if you put the tape in the center why would it be on the left side going down the lane?
Bob, is this another reading it seems different thing? lol

ArtVandelay
12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
That's it!!! We need at least 4 or 5 mirrors to be able to settle this one...

Seriously...? I keep reading all these threads and posts and it's getting overwhelming. I made a post about tipping the ball driller, and after all this reading, I think I'll be tipping no matter what!!!

Tampabaybob
12-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Ok, if you set the ball on a table, with the oil rings towards the bottom of the ball and you position your thumb and index fingers on the rings, the top dead center of the ball should be your PAP. Now if you cut a round circle of tape and place it on that top dead center and throw the ball the tape should stay pretty much in the center "ON THE LEFT SIDE" of the ball going down the lane.

OK, looks like I need to shoot a video, to show you what I mean. It's one of those things that's easier to show than explain in words. I'll try to get it posted today. It's not a perfect way to do it just a quicker way that anyone can do it to get an idea as to where there PAP is.

Bob

Greenday
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Are you a lefty? Because then your post would make a lot more sense.

e-tank
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
nope right hand thumb-less bowler

Tampabaybob
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Are you a lefty? Because then your post would make a lot more sense.

No I'm a righty, and I've done this for years with other bowlers. I'll try to get a video up for an explanation.

Bob

J Anderson
12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Quickest way to find your own pap, is to throw a couple of balls on fresh oil (after you've wiped off the oil), then put the ball on a table and with your thumbs and index fingers, put them on the oil track. Turn the ball so your holes are facing away from you and try to center the oil ring around the ball. Place a small round piece of tape on the top center of the ball and go throw it again. The tape "should be on the left side of the ball going down the lane and should move very little. You can adjust it little by little until the spot stays centered all the way down.

Bob

If you center the ring around the ball, why does it matter which way the holes face?

bowl1820
12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Theres several videos over in the video section that show how to find your pap. here's just one

How to find your PAP
Here is a video by coach Richard Shockley on how to find your PAP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fooIV5Tj7zc
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=716&d=1354728749

noeymc
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
i just use tape i skip the frist part =D

bowl1820
12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
As for what side the pap is on.

For a right handed bowler, the pap is on the right side of the "ball". As you look at the ball with the finger holes at the top and the thumb at the bottom.

For a left handed bowler, the pap is on the left side of the "ball". As you look at the ball with the finger holes at the top and the thumb at the bottom.

Think about when you put "right lateral pitch" on a hole, it goes toward the right side of the ball. Left goes to the left side of the ball.

For a left or right hander, When the ball is going down the lane the pap faces basically toward you or toward center of the lane .

Right hander example:
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=717&d=1354729937

Mike White
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Left side of the ball??? During the skid phase I was taught it should be facing the bowler, centered giving the illusion that it's not moving. Now when it hits the mid-lane it will go left and take off like a rocket.

I think the problem here is in how exact to take the wording.

Bob said the axis point is on the left side of the ball.
Bill said the axis point is facing the bowler.

If you take the words loosely.

Each of these descriptions has a range of 180 degrees of axis rotation.
For Bob it would be from -90 degrees to +90 degrees of axis rotation,
while for Bill it would be from 0 degrees to 180 degrees of axis rotation.
The descriptions would have from 0 to 90 degrees of axis rotation in common.

If however you take the words to be an exact location.

Bob describes 0 degrees of axis rotation, while Bill describes 90 degrees of axis rotation.

To me Bob seems to be talking about axis rotations in the 0 to 90 degrees range, while Bill seems to be describing something close to 90 degrees of axis rotation.

billf
12-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I think the problem here is in how exact to take the wording.

Bob said the axis point is on the left side of the ball.
Bill said the axis point is facing the bowler.

If you take the words loosely.

Each of these descriptions has a range of 180 degrees of axis rotation.
For Bob it would be from -90 degrees to +90 degrees of axis rotation,
while for Bill it would be from 0 degrees to 180 degrees of axis rotation.
The descriptions would have from 0 to 90 degrees of axis rotation in common.

If however you take the words to be an exact location.

Bob describes 0 degrees of axis rotation, while Bill describes 90 degrees of axis rotation.

To me Bob seems to be talking about axis rotations in the 0 to 90 degrees range, while Bill seems to be describing something close to 90 degrees of axis rotation.

Actually Mike, I was taking Bob very literal. Sorry Bob. When I read left side I pictured left side. Not the left side of what's facing you. I took it literally as if it would be facing the wall= zero rotation, even out of sight.