PDA

View Full Version : MOTIV Raptor Talon Review & Video by KG - HOOK MONSTER!

Mappa
12-04-2012, 02:45 AM
If you’re reading this review, you’re probably aware that the MOTIV Raptor Talon hooks a lot…. this is very true. But what I want to emphasize is the controllability of the hook, due in large part to the nice big arcing ball motion. But I am most impressed with the carry this ball gives me. I feel like all I need to do is get the Talon in the general vicinity of the pocket to strike. High hits seem to trip the 4, and light hits shred ‘em. This kind of confidence really frees up the old armswing.

I drilled my Raptor Talon with a pretty tame layout (60* x 6” x 40*). I’m planning on drilling up a second Talon more aggressively, just to have a little fun. For me the Talon is at least 5 boards stronger than the original Raptor with the same layout. Here is a link to my ball reaction video. I compare the Raptor Talon to the Venom Strike, 2 Cruel and the original Raptor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tynvySUpDh4

I have a pretty high rev rate (420) in relation to my ball speed (17mph). So, I do need a pretty good amount of oil in order to use this ball. On long “Sport” patterns the Talon allows me to play deeper… in the fresh oil. As all tournament players know, it’s generally an advantage to play just to the left of your opponents (For right handers). I like to take advantage of that whenever I can.

My check list during by 10 minutes league practice right now is pretty simple. Is there enough oil to use the Talon? Yes? Then I use it! If No, then I’ll pull out my Venom Strike, Primal Scream or Ascent. I can’t always use the Talon, but it’s comforting to know that it’s at the top of my arsenal when needed. If you happen to be more speed dominant, this is a “must have” ball, and you’ll want to throw it all the time.

--Kevin Gallagher—
PBA Member
MOTIV Staff

noeymc
12-04-2012, 09:17 AM
cool can u post a video without all strikes

scottymoney
12-04-2012, 10:09 AM
i can say I hated this video, too much fading in and out, I am still left wondering if this guy bowls with a thumb or not.

Would like to see less visual effects and more bowling detail. It seriously is too much!

striker12
12-04-2012, 10:47 AM
well video sucked you should redue the video but about the ball im planning on ordering one the weekend after its release because i wont be in town the weekend before it where i could place a order so i will have to wait abit.

Mappa
12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
i can say I hated this video, too much fading in and out, I am still left wondering if this guy bowls with a thumb or not.

Would like to see less visual effects and more bowling detail. It seriously is too much!

I do not use my thumb for my first ball, just for spares.

Thank You for the feedback... sometimes ball reaction videos can be pretty dry, so I tried to keep this one moving. For my next one I'll consider stripping it down a bit.

--Kevin--

Mappa
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
well video sucked you should redue the video but about the ball im planning on ordering one the weekend after its release because i wont be in town the weekend before it where i could place a order so i will have to wait abit.

Sorry you didn't like the video. But the ball is great though. :)

--Kevin--

noeymc
12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
i just want to see company's showing only strikes any real bowler wants to see how much the ball miss's if u don't hit your mark i liked the numbers on it as to what board u hit and where it flipped that was nice keep doing that

Mappa
12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
i just want to see company's showing only strikes any r
real bowler wants to see how much the ball miss's if u don't hit your mark i liked the numbers on it as to what board u hit and where it flipped that was nice keep doing that

Thank You for the feedback. I did miss my mark on a couple of those deliveries in the video, there's at least 1 light mixer and high pocket hit.

--Kevin--

billf
12-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I like the video but then again I know all the work that goes into them. The bowling is the easy part. Editing, adding graphics and trying to make it stand out, that's real work.

noeymc
12-06-2012, 01:12 AM
yeah i dont mean any disrespect please dont take it that way

The German Shepherd
12-06-2012, 12:56 PM
These demo vids that show nothing but crankers aren't whole lot of help to me perdoanlly. My rev rate is nowhere near the thumbless bowlers' and I am always left wondering what kind of a reaction I would get, being a medium rev guy. Perhaps that is why I watch Curlie Becton's demos on Bowlingball.com most closely.

Jay

Mappa
12-06-2012, 08:33 PM
These demo vids that show nothing but crankers aren't whole lot of help to me perdoanlly. My rev rate is nowhere near the thumbless bowlers' and I am always left wondering what kind of a reaction I would get, being a medium rev guy. Perhaps that is why I watch Curlie Becton's demos on Bowlingball.com most closely.

Jay

I agree, you definitely want to find a ball reaction video that was made by someone with a similar rev-rate and ball speed. I know of several MOTIV folks out there that have a variety of styles that make great demo videos. I'm just one man :)