PDA

View Full Version : 8 pin leaves

scottymoney
12-04-2012, 09:54 AM
So I was searching this out this morning and I think it is from too much deflection?
I had at least 5 of these 8 pin leaves last night. Any ideas on how to remedy this. I am going to see if it was just a night of coincidence or if this is something I need to address but any ideas on not leaving the 8 pin. I don't mind leaving 1 pin spares like the 8 pin but it kills when you are in the pocket really good, fist pump cause you think they are all going down to then see the 8 pin winking back at you.

JaMau24
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Nothing is worse than throwing a PERFECT pocket shot and seeing that 8 pin stand up. It's gut wrenching!

noeymc
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
man i was told when that happens u need more rev's on the ball or move ur feet back 1/4 inch and see if that helps

scottymoney
12-04-2012, 03:53 PM
man i was told when that happens u need more rev's on the ball or move ur feet back 1/4 inch and see if that helps

Worth a shot, first to find out if it is just a coincidence or not. Now that I am paying attention for what i left it will be much easier to adjust.

Mike White
12-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Under the assumption you are hitting the head pin in the proper place.... if you slide the 5 pin in front of the 8, it is because the ball is deflecting too much.

This usually requires 2 adjustments,
1) increase axis rotation to increase angle of entry.
2) move the feet/target to compensate extra boards of hook.

Only experience can tell you how much of either/both adjustments to make.

If however the 5 pin is being sent straight back, and the ball doesn't hit the 8 pin, just chalk that up to bad luck and stay right were you are.

ArtVandelay
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
The other night I left the 8 pin twice, and I **** you not, on BOTH occasions the 7 and 9 pin look like they fell inwards at the exact same time, hit the 8, and deflected off leaving it standing. I just figured it was bad luck. On one of them it wiggled a little before staying up. We call that, "being Mutumbo'd," after former NBA player Dikembe Mutumbo, who was known for a particular "finger wag," after he blocked someones shot and ruined their dreams. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stjzC8pG15A)

sprocket
12-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, there's the weak 8 and the solid 8. The weak 8 happens when the ball deflects as it hits the pocket, hitting the 5 pin too thin and sending it in front of the 8 pin. The solid 8 happens when the ball hits so strong that it does not deflect enough and hits the five pin too flush sending it straight back and missing the 8 pin. It has been said that the solid 8 is the only true tap in bowling. You can't throw it much better if you leave the solid 8. Usually you won't see someone leaving a whole bunch of solid 8's in three games. Usually it is just bad luck.

The weak 8 is caused by either poor entry angle or a ball that is not rolling strongly on the back end. The ball needs to get out of the hook phase and start to roll with solid grip on the lane before it hits the pins. A ball that is still in the hook phase is by definition a ball that still hasn't fully gripped the lane. It therefore can easily deflect when it hits the pins.

Probably the easiest way to get the ball to roll harder and get more angle is to move right and hit more of the dry area on the lane. It's very likely that if you are leaving weak 8's you aren't getting the ball to roll off the dry boards. If you are already in the dry area and still leave weak 8's then you need to either slow down, learn to put more rotation on the ball, or use a higher friction ball.

billf
12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Under the assumption you are hitting the head pin in the proper place.... if you slide the 5 pin in front of the 8, it is because the ball is deflecting too much.

This usually requires 2 adjustments,
1) increase axis rotation to increase angle of entry.
2) move the feet/target to compensate extra boards of hook.

Only experience can tell you how much of either/both adjustments to make.

If however the 5 pin is being sent straight back, and the ball doesn't hit the 8 pin, just chalk that up to bad luck and stay right were you are.

Well, there's the weak 8 and the solid 8. The weak 8 happens when the ball deflects as it hits the pocket, hitting the 5 pin too thin and sending it in front of the 8 pin. The solid 8 happens when the ball hits so strong that it does not deflect enough and hits the five pin too flush sending it straight back and missing the 8 pin. It has been said that the solid 8 is the only true tap in bowling. You can't throw it much better if you leave the solid 8. Usually you won't see someone leaving a whole bunch of solid 8's in three games. Usually it is just bad luck.

The weak 8 is caused by either poor entry angle or a ball that is not rolling strongly on the back end. The ball needs to get out of the hook phase and start to roll with solid grip on the lane before it hits the pins. A ball that is still in the hook phase is by definition a ball that still hasn't fully gripped the lane. It therefore can easily deflect when it hits the pins.

Probably the easiest way to get the ball to roll harder and get more angle is to move right and hit more of the dry area on the lane. It's very likely that if you are leaving weak 8's you aren't getting the ball to roll off the dry boards. If you are already in the dry area and still leave weak 8's then you need to either slow down, learn to put more rotation on the ball, or use a higher friction ball.

Dead on points.