PDA

View Full Version : Ten pin ranting

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I think I hate 10 pins more than any other time in my life. Sunday in a tournament I couldn't get very many to carry. Last night, I left five on top of the eight I left Sunday. I know, it gave me practice on my ten pins. :p I've always been told that when you leave the ten pin take a half a step forward or back. I know I was throwing a good angle, it just bewilders me.

Zothen
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Sometimes I will move 1/2 board left and that usually gets me flush in the pocket. 10 pins are the result of the ball hitting the head pin high and defelcting the other pins around the 10.

Zothen

Cochese
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I also share your animosity for the 10 pin as well. Nothing worse than throwing what looks like a perfect ball and seeing it standing there at the end of the lane. Might as well be holding up a middle finger at you

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks Zothen. I'll definitely try that if I start leaving them tonight. Yeah, Cochese, it's also what I left when I had the front nine last Thursday.

Cochese
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
My last game last week I had 5 out of the last 6 frames leaving the 10 pin, all flush pocket hits. I did pick all of them up at least, but not exactlly how I wanted to end my night. Hopefully tomorrow is more productive.

Druloco
12-04-2012, 03:18 PM
i seriously never understood why people would tell me to move forward or back when i left a corner pin and i still don'ti just move my ball or my feet over and try to get a better angle to the pocket....but for me it's those damn 7 pins

AZBowla
12-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Yep 7's for me too (lefty) but that just gives me more practice so I'll be able to take 'em out when it counts. Any bad night bowling still beats a good day working!

JaMau24
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I left seven 10 pins on Sunday. I never leave that many. It sucked!

Tampabaybob
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Also keep in mind at the beginning of the season many house put in new pins. It takes several weeks before the bottoms round out and they start carrying good. If that's the case in your house, it'll probably be another few weeks of staring at the damn things. I shot 706 last Thursday night and the only frames I didn't strike were ten pins and I did leave one 4 pin. I share your frustration and am waiting for our new pins to get broken in.

Bob

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
12-04-2012, 11:53 PM
So, Zothen, I tried what you said tonight after I left a 10 pin, and it worked for the most part. I threw a no tap 300 my first game though. I could not strike on 14 (I was on 13-14), I slowed my ball down as I was a board and a half right of where I normally am, and threw two great games to finish off the night.

J Anderson
12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
i seriously never understood why people would tell me to move forward or back when i left a corner pin and i still don'ti just move my ball or my feet over and try to get a better angle to the pocket....but for me it's those damn 7 pins

Theory on half a step back is that you'll stop farther from the foul line and get the ball on the lane sooner to give it more time on the lane to react.

Half a step closer will slow your feet and therefore your ball speed slightly, also giving the ball a bit more hook.

J Anderson
12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
10 pins are the result of the ball hitting the head pin high and defelcting the other pins around the 10.

Zothen

Sometimes yes, other times its from hitting light and the 3 kicks the 6 into the gutter instead of the 10. There is no substitute for watching the ball until it drops off the back of the pin deck. I really should try doing it some time.

Mike White
12-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Theory on half a step back is that you'll stop farther from the foul line and get the ball on the lane sooner to give it more time on the lane to react.

Half a step closer will slow your feet and therefore your ball speed slightly, also giving the ball a bit more hook.

You're saying when you start back 1/2 step from normal, the length of a person's approach doesn't expand, causing them to stop 1/2 step further back from the foul line than normal.
Then you're saying when starting 1/2 step closer than normal, the length will compress, causing them to stop at their normal location.

If you just walk onto the approach and stand somewhere between the 1/2 step back, and 1/2 step forward, how does the body know if it should walk normal, or compressed?

The German Shepherd
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Dude, I have left 23 of those little demons in the last 8 days (that covers 9 games). I could just about scream...

Jay

billf
12-05-2012, 08:22 PM
I left 6 of them in one game...brutal

J Anderson
12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
You're saying when you start back 1/2 step from normal, the length of a person's approach doesn't expand, causing them to stop 1/2 step further back from the foul line than normal.
Then you're saying when starting 1/2 step closer than normal, the length will compress, causing them to stop at their normal location.

If you just walk onto the approach and stand somewhere between the 1/2 step back, and 1/2 step forward, how does the body know if it should walk normal, or compressed?

I was just repeating the theories as I've heard them explained. Our local proshop owner has told me that most bowlers will automatically shorten their steps when they move up on the approach. When he suggested that I move up on the approach to improve my accuracy, I slid a foot over the line.

Personally, I don't adjust for leaving a ten pin. There are just to many inconsistencies in my game to assume every ball that looks like its in the pocket from 60' away should be a strike.

Tampabaybob
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are bowling in a center that put new pins in this year in September ?

Bob

GeoLes
12-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I have remedied 10-pin leave by moving my feet 3 boards left and mark 1 board right (I am a right handed bowler. Left handers might move 3 boards right and mark 1-board left). When the oil changes and the 10-pin leave returns, I move back. At least that works for me.

v33dubfox
12-07-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't think that there is a better or worst way to get that damn 7 or 10 pin to fall. The idea is to get a way that YOU are able to use. Personnaly (I am a lefty), I move ½ board left. When the 7th pin leaves, it is usually because the balls doesn't hook enough so that the 2 and 4 pins don't do their job. So, by moving to the left makes the ball hook more towards the head pin.

Druloco
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM

well, thanks for clearing that up lol i really never knew!....i always just cup my wrist a bit more and move the ball a bit on the lane if i'm not carrying out the 7, seems to work well for me.

Tampabaybob
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
I've found that the further outside the ball come back from (for me) the greater the chance of leaving a ten pin. That changes the angle going into the pocket enough to push the 6 pin in front of the 10. I did throw a couple of scouts Thursday that came off the wall, one took out the 10 an the other flew past it to the front of it. Just part of the game, frustrating, but that's bowling. What works for some people will not work for others. Unfortunately it's a trial and error type of scenario that each person has to figure out.

Bob