PDA

View Full Version : My son bowling

Brother_jd
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
He is 10 years old and is using a 10lb TZone. This was his first time using this ball. He is in his first league and is averaging 74. Any advice that i can pass on to him to help him improve would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stsd0w10ic&feature=plcp

noeymc
12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
the ball may weigh to much for him but he def is learning good forum from u =D

billf
12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Has he seen this yet? Show him some videos of Chris Barnes with his great form and release. Let your son tell you some things he sees wrong with his game. I do this with our youth league. They usually don't have an answer and that's alright. What it does is helps them to pay attention to what they are doing and to watch what the ball is doing/did. It will come in handy later when he is trying to figure adjustments, read the lane, etc.
The ball side shot you can see that at the beginning of the approach his wrist bends backs a lot. Being so young I'm not saying to cup or anything like that but rather firm it up so he doesn't hurt his wrist with it going backwards with weight.
When he feels like it, show and have him do one step drills without a ball at home. This will help with muscle memory to improve his balance. He may figure out how to turn his balance foot enough to stay on the toe ;)

martinezsam2495
12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah I agree it looks as if the ball weights too much for him, because during the downswing it looks as if the ball is a little too much for him.

elimblagJig
12-04-2012, 11:24 PM
健康シューズ mbt (http://www.mbthotsalejapan.com/ )
mbt 靴 激安 (http://www.mbtkutsuoutlet.com/mbt-メンズ-サンダル-mbt-kisumuキズム-セール-1_3.html )

AngeloPD
12-05-2012, 12:57 AM
he may need a wrist support for that weight

AZBowla
12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
he may need a wrist support for that weight

I was just going to suggest this same thing. He's got a pretty good form going already though. I would say in addition to the wrist brace, have him hold his finish until the ball hits the pins, to help him maintain his balance at the foul line. Other than that I'd say he's doing very good!

Mike White
12-06-2012, 11:28 AM
In a 4 step approach, the ball should be near the bottom of the swing at the completion of the 1st step, he is either a step early with the feet, or a step late with the ball.

Since he can't hold the cup wrist position, he shouldn't start in that position.

Finally the ball does look a little to heavy for him at this time.

ArtVandelay
12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
His form is probably better than mine! hahahaha. It's all good advice, my only input is make sure he truly wants the instruction and it's always fun for him. I was at a driving range a while back with a couple buddies and there was a kid there, maybe 7 or 8 years old... His pops was giving him all kinds of instruction and the kids attention span was deteriorating at a fantastic pace. One of my buddies made the comment, "My Old Man was heavy on the instruction when I was little. It ruined the game for me for a very long time, because when I was a teenager I cared far too much about being good and not enough on just enjoying the sport."

LonelyBowler
12-09-2012, 01:09 AM
I still fall all the time especially if an approach is slippery. It looks like maybe he is holding on to the ball too long and it's dragging him with it.

slmrcs
12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Yes, I noticed that also. Maybe teach 5 step ... but only if he wants to learn it. And on ball weight, when I bought ball for my nephew, I had people wanting to get him a too heavy ball. Pro-shop people acting like it's a race to get up in weight - today's ball's hit too hard to worry about increasing weight. But his form is really beautiful.