PDA

View Full Version : In my opinion, worst tournament, ever.

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
12-05-2012, 12:22 AM
So. This is another rant. I do it a lot! :cool: Anyway, this is about the tournament my teammate and I placed second in. Anyway, were placed on lanes 5-6. That's cool, the only problem with that is that if the nine pin was left, then the pin setter would drop the nine pin and it would be pushed off the deck. So, after four frames of this, it got old, and we complained. So, they moved us to lanes 9-10 and got two balls of practice on each lane, I personally was pressing for maybe five minutes, but I didn't complain. And I couldn't figure these lanes out, I pretty much had the others figured out. A couple of incidents kinda aggravated me as well, my teammate had six in a row and in the middle of his approach, they started talking about food being ready over the PA system. I mean, he wasn't the only one on the approach, but if I had a tournament in my bowling alley, no one would be using the PA system. And the guy who oil's the lanes, brought the oil machine across all of our approaches to oil a few lanes to the right of us for a league. See, why wouldn't you oil all of the lanes you needed to oil the first time you had the machine out. I just had an overall bad experience, I'm not sure if I'm going to give the house another chance, maybe I might.

noeymc
12-05-2012, 12:48 AM
wow all i can say

got_a_300
12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Well at least you did get two balls of practice on each lane as
most of the tournaments I've been to if your lane(s) mess up
and you have to move you start off bowling for score not even
a ball of practice once the game has already started.

Now as for someone getting on the PA system while people are
bowling and making announcements that is just part of it. I know
it is un-nerving but it is still part of the bowling experience they
do it at all the time unless it is maybe a PBA tournament.

billf
12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
The only thing in your rant that seemed wrong was them not oiling the other lanes earlier so as not to disrupt the tournament. Even our State tournament gives announcements over the PA during competition. If I was ever in the PBA, I would have to ask the crowd to make some noise while I'm on the lane. When it's too quiet, every little noise seems a million times louder than it is.

got_a_300
12-06-2012, 03:30 PM
When it's too quiet, every little noise seems a million times louder than it is.
I couldn't agree more with that bill, as I hear every little sound say like
when the soda machine kicks on and starts cooling or the heat or the air
conditioner kicks on as it downright breaks my concentration when on the
approach if it is too quite in the center.

I'd rather have people talking or making all kinds of loud noise behind
or around me or even the jukebox turned up loud or even the front counter
making announcements over the PA when I'm up on the approach as I'm used
to all of that and it really helps me to concentrate more on what I'm doing.

Mike White
12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
The only thing in your rant that seemed wrong was them not oiling the other lanes earlier so as not to disrupt the tournament. Even our State tournament gives announcements over the PA during competition. If I was ever in the PBA, I would have to ask the crowd to make some noise while I'm on the lane. When it's too quiet, every little noise seems a million times louder than it is.

You might want more noise, but there is a limit as to how much is tolerable.
Try bowling during an earthquake. It's hard to concentrate, but the carry percentage goes way up.

AZBowla
12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
If I was ever in the PBA, I would have to ask the crowd to make some noise while I'm on the lane. When it's too quiet, every little noise seems a million times louder than it is.

Yeah, I don't understand why guys like Rash and Weber want it so dead silent when they bowl, come on it wasn't quiet when you won that spot to appear on tee vee, so quit yer whining and bowl ya big babies! I still LOL at the whole water bottle Rash/Belmonte thing. Come on Sean, try bowling with me sometime when you've got a hyper-active 5 year old boy, a whiney, tattle-taley 6 year old girl and a 16 year old teenage girl all behind you while you're on the approach going "Daddy! Look It! Daddy! He hit me! Daddy, are we done yet, I'm hungry, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy" etc - it's a wonder I can break 100 with all that nonsense going on behind me. Sure, I get it, bowling under the lights is hard, OK fine but don't expect the entire audience to hold their breath when you're on the approach, Your Majesty. I'd want the crowd to make some noise too, it'd get me fired up and it would drive my opponents nuts.

UBowling
12-07-2012, 01:22 PM
You should be able to push everything out of your head while you are bowling so the announcements part of the post isn't a concern in my mind. Gotta learn to block that stuff out. It is always going to happen.

Yes it sucks when the lanes break down, but that happens. The two practice balls is good, shouldn't need more than that to get a decent read on the lanes if you are already warmed up.

Dragging the oil machine across the approaches is ridiculous. The only time that should ever happen is maybe during open play. That center needs a new policy on oiling lanes.

ArtVandelay
12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Have you ever tried golf?

scottymoney
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Constant noise is never a problem, I can see random sudden noises being irritating.

PDW always wears sunglasses, and he says it is because of the lights when he bowls on tv. But he always wears them, so I wonder if he has just gotten so used to bowling with them on? Most bowling alleys I have ever been in are not very well lit.