PDA

View Full Version : Finally a video ready to hear what I need to improve

scottymoney
12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Finally remembered the camera during practice and made a video. Can't wait to hear what I need to work on.

http://youtu.be/jywIVpr9xM4

billf
12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Your bowling. OK, now I'm ready to watch the video :cool:

scottymoney
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Bill this is before I started working on revs. Which i was able to do a bit of playing inside the ball.

billf
12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Scott, you go back and forth between being square and open at the release playing the same line. When you are more open and let the ball go out it looks pretty good. To aide on this, whip your balance leg over and on the toe. Most shots you leave it straight behind you with very little angle. Try for close to 60* with the toe well beyond your slide foot.

scottymoney
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Scott, you go back and forth between being square and open at the release playing the same line. When you are more open and let the ball go out it looks pretty good. To aide on this, whip your balance leg over and on the toe. Most shots you leave it straight behind you with very little angle. Try for close to 60* with the toe well beyond your slide foot.

So I want to just make sure I understand this right get my leg more left. I am a bit confused on the square and open part or will the balance leg more left take care of that?

scottymoney
12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I think I see it now, the shots where my balance leg was more left then straight behind me I saw a better result. Seems much more of my strikes were when the foot was in the correct/closer to the correct spot.

billf
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
When your shoulders are both the same distance from the foul line, you are square. When the throwing shoulder is further from the line, you are open. Getting the balance leg over helps in keeping the shoulders open. In reality, you want your shoulders square with your break point.
When I want to play a straight line, like up 5, I just force my balance leg behind my slide leg. To help stay open I whip it well beyond the slide leg. It's an easy part of the delivery to adjust for assistance without having to alter any other part of the delivery.

scottymoney
12-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Makes sense, Shoulders toward the break point, kick the back leg left. I used to play a lot less hook and much more of straight angle to the pocket which would allow me to keep my shoulders square. This definitely will help me adjust for the line and angle I play. Any other things I should work on?

billf
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
You have enough to practice on the last couple of days. Get those down and we will look again. I think you're real close just tweaking here and there.

scottymoney
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Not bad for 2 weeks ago doing a 3 step unbalanced approach to this. Almost wish I had a video of that.
I would describe the 3 step unbalanced approach as a caveman throwing a rock.

I do see that I dropped my high back swing compared to what it use to be. With the revs info you gave me before and now this, I am excited and will be hitting up some practice tomorrow night.

as always thanks Bill!

The German Shepherd
12-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Bill is right on with his comments for sure and let me add that I would like to see you free up your arm swing a little. Some years ago, I was having my own practice session when this fellow came up behind my pair and watched me for a few frames. He told me that he liked what he saw but that he would suggest that I not muscle the ball so much in my swing. I tried it out and it felt a little strange at first, but it really helped. He sat and watched me until I finished my set and when I went to leave he introduced himself. Turns out he was Dick Ritger. Nice man and some of the best advice I ever got...

Jay

scottymoney
12-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jay,
I had a little conversation with Bill on creating revs, which the video doesn't really show much of me using those techniques. When I did start using those techniques I felt that I didn't force the arm swing as much as I was more focused on generating the revs and getting that correct. I can also tell that by my ball speed going down about 1 mph when working on the revs part.

That being said I do know I have a tendency to arm the ball more than I should.

scottymoney
12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
That's also cool that Dick did that. I think some coaches have this thing about wanting to help even without being asked, sought after or being paid. I know Bill has definitely got that, and I know I definitely try to help my friends, but finding myself biting my tongue not trying to force it on people.

noeymc
12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
you looks really good to me but i am not a coach =D good work keep it up!!!

billf
12-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I will offer help during open bowling but I don't say a word unless asked during league. I know first hand how frustrating it can be when you're already struggling and some idiot, who means well, offers unsolicited advice.

LonelyBowler
12-09-2012, 01:05 AM
On the first step you are just dropping the ball but have no arm extension outward so you are most likely muscling the ball back to get a backswing. You need to push the ball foward and slightly towards the ground and then just let it drop and then gravity and momentum should swing the ball for you.