PDA

View Full Version : Here's something I can't figure out why

Iceman
11-28-2008, 03:19 AM
I have worked on my speed issue, and some nights it's fine and others (still fast - like I'm whipping the ball down there - but I feel fluent at the line)

One thing I sat back and watched my latest video, and remembered how I shot - I threw 3 games, and ended with 710. But, here's the problem. I was aiming 6-9 boards standing right foot center. The ball was rolling consistently over 10-11-12. I saw it in the video very often, and those were my deck clearing shots.

Even while I was there, I recalled watching the ball roll over 10 (but didn't think much of it) since typical house shot is 10 to pocket for me.

I went back up to the house later that night and shot 2 more games, same thing, I was looking 9-11 and hit 12-15 - didn't score well, but I wasn't there for that.

I lowered my arm swing (felt maybe my timing was off a little causing me to pull). That caused me to push the ball more, (which I realized I was too low starting) so I raised up a little. Got back to missing my mark a few boards to the left - when I was pushing the shots - I missed 5 or more boards. I know my shoulder was dropping on the push shots and sometimes circling the ball too soon.

I try my hardest to not do things that makes me less accurate - even if I score good that evening. I know I got away with a lot of shots. I am not trying to be perfect in my approach or form, but getting something consistently so I know correctly how to adjust rather than adjusting to how I roll that night. I have been doing this for a few months now, and I know it's not the right thing to do to get better overall. I still carry 210 across all my leagues, but I admit - I have nights where shots still it the pocket, but because I rolled it incorrectly. Either my arm went right through the release or I pulled and got hold.

Maybe I add an alias to my website and post some videos for some good old fashion visual advice from others on here. I've got a lot of responses to previous posts and appreciate all the points and positions everyone takes. Some work for me and others I tend to practice as I know doing it one evening doesn't mean it does work or doesn't.

kev3inp
11-28-2008, 04:19 AM
To me it sounds like a swing plane issue, where it doesn't always line up with your body the same way. The only way you'll spot that is with a video over 2 or 3 nights and compare.

djbigsmooth
11-28-2008, 05:09 AM
kev3 has a valid point, we all change a litte as the day moves along, our energy levels fluctuate, our level of concentration varies, this is normal.

there is also another likely issue, you mentioned that on a ths, look at 6-9 but, end up hitting 10-12, and you get away with a few bad shots. more than you feel comfortable with. you also mentioned that you do this with your right foot on center dot. here is my question: do you use your right foot or left to line up your target?

here is why i asked that question, the issue you are facing is a common one. 90% of the cases of frequent target misses result from an issue of EYE DOMINANCE. let me explain; some right-handed bowlers are left eye dominant( me), since your left eye processes more information than your right eye that can make accurate targeting difficult, especially, if you are using your LEFT FOOT TO LINE UP YOUR TARGET. you will often feel like you are bowling inside of a 2'x2' closet. i had this issue and i solved it by CHANGING MY TARGET FOOT. this widened my perception and opened up the lane immensely. now, just the opposite can work for left handed bowlers who are right eye dominant.

there are some rh bowlers that are r-e-d(right eye dominant) that do well hitting their target consistantly. the result varies due, in part, to body type. most thinner frame bowlers will excel if they are right hand/eye.
most, not all, but most wide bodies, struggle if they are right hand/eye.

back to you bro', give this tip a try: just change your target foot, if you are using your left to target.
switching target foot and OPENING YOUR SHOULDERS SLIGHTLY (point your left shoulder a little toward the 10 pin) should open the lane for you and allow you to hit your targets time after time accurately.

good bowling bro'.

kev3inp
11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
He may be lining up with his right foot because he's a lefty, if I can recall, but yes, the eye dominance thing is very relevant, and very possible. I'm left handed but right eyed, myself. There was an article about it in one of the bowling mags a while back. (They both need an online index.) If he is lefty, then, to open the shoulders, the right one needs to go towards the 7. It seems that there are quite a few lefties on here.

Iceman
11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I do line up with right foot, and I'm a Righty, my parents didn't give me the gift of leftyism. I will try that tonight with using left foot to target - I searched the internet and found the eye dominant articles.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will help a little and I can put something to rest.....:)

Iceman
11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
kev3 has a valid point, we all change a litte as the day moves along, our energy levels fluctuate, our level of concentration varies, this is normal.

there is also another likely issue, you mentioned that on a ths, look at 6-9 but, end up hitting 10-12, and you get away with a few bad shots. more than you feel comfortable with. you also mentioned that you do this with your right foot on center dot. here is my question: do you use your right foot or left to line up your target?

here is why i asked that question, the issue you are facing is a common one. 90% of the cases of frequent target misses result from an issue of EYE DOMINANCE. let me explain; some right-handed bowlers are left eye dominant( me), since your left eye processes more information than your right eye that can make accurate targeting difficult, especially, if you are using your LEFT FOOT TO LINE UP YOUR TARGET. you will often feel like you are bowling inside of a 2'x2' closet. i had this issue and i solved it by CHANGING MY TARGET FOOT. this widened my perception and opened up the lane immensely. now, just the opposite can work for left handed bowlers who are right eye dominant.

there are some rh bowlers that are r-e-d(right eye dominant) that do well hitting their target consistantly. the result varies due, in part, to body type. most thinner frame bowlers will excel if they are right hand/eye.

back to you bro', give this tip a try: just change your target foot, if you are using your left to target.
switching target foot and OPENING YOUR SHOULDERS SLIGHTLY (point your left shoulder a little toward the 10 pin) should open the lane for you and allow you to hit your targets time after time accurately.

good bowling bro'.

I'm thinner frame, use right foot as target. I do make sure my shoulders start square, so I end square. But - I'll switch target foot tonight and see what happens. During my shadow, I'll line up same lane with left foot then right foot and see if I can feel or see a difference in a couple shots. We get 15 minutes on Friday evening, so I can play around some.

Thanks!!!!

Iceman
11-28-2008, 01:37 PM
To me it sounds like a swing plane issue, where it doesn't always line up with your body the same way. The only way you'll spot that is with a video over 2 or 3 nights and compare.

This does hit home - I know from the video I have watched and sometimes during my approach, I can feel my elbow is not completely straight on the downswing, I sometimes let it fall towards the bottom which in response I circle the shot to get through it (and I hear the loud bang on the lane). I don't bring my arm behind my back anymore and my backswing is not as long - I do start off at a low position, just above the waist and back of ball lines up with stomach - and I use a 5 step approach. My second step (push out is downward angle - not straight out).

kev3inp
11-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I do line up with right foot, and I'm a Righty, my parents didn't give me the gift of leftyism. I will try that tonight with using left foot to target - I searched the internet and found the eye dominant articles.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will help a little and I can put something to rest.....:)

That does seem a little odd to me. (The right foot) I'm just so used to everybody using their slide foot as their base of measurement, I suppose. Good luck and good bowling.

ArtVandelay
11-29-2008, 12:10 AM

good bowling bro'.

This is why I joined this board.... These are things I'd have never thought of myself. Wow. Good info!!!