PDA

View Full Version : "Slider" ball suggestions

ArtVandelay
12-09-2012, 05:30 PM
I just wanted to get the creative juices flowing for now. I'm going to try to get video of what I'm talking about on Tuesday Night during league so you can see.

My Old Man throws what we call a, "Slider." I throw a curve ball, he throws a slider. He has always thrown this exact same way, and it's not pretty, but... whatever. That's not the point.

So, he starts kind of on the right hand side of the lane, and throws it along the gutter, and it just kind of spins and spins and slides its way back into the pocket. It never enters a roll phase, so it deflects a lot and leaves him a lot of crap. But he's not interested in changing and I'm not looking to change his method.

He currently throws a 16 pound plastic ball with no core. It's actually a New York Yankees ball and has a picture of the old Yankees Stadium on it, so it's kind of a collectors item and really showing its age. I was thinking about replacing it for him for Christmas, but what do you think I should get him? He currently uses the same ball for everything, and he rarely has trouble with either of the corner pins. His accuracy is good. Do you think it would be worth it to try to find a different kind of ball and see if maybe he develops a roll phase with something that can catch, or just leave it alone and go with something like a Columbia White Dot?

Start thinking/commenting. I'll try to get a good video on Tuesday, but i have to be secretive about it, because it won't be a surprise if he catches me, and he will KNOW something's up if he catches me...

billf
12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I will wait for the video before suggesting but will mull it over in the mean time.

Perrin
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
are you talking about like a 'helicopter'/spinner type delivery?

where the ball almost looks like a top going down the lane?

ArtVandelay
12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
....not quite. In a way, yes, but not as dramatic. I'm going to do my best to get a video on Tuesday. I just don't know how good it will be because I don't want to get caught.

ArtVandelay
12-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I wasn't able to get a video... There's just no way to do it without being too obvious. I DID actually get a few video's, but the angle isn't good and it's impossible to tell what's going on. Oh well... I think I have my answer though.