PDA

View Full Version : Does Lane Malfunction = redo?

Siddy
12-10-2012, 09:30 AM
On Saturday i after the rolled my first ball for the 9th frame the lane malfunctioned and cleared the remaining pins then the computer system froze causing us to move to a different lane. At this point they just put what i had remaining back on the lane well everyone was moving their stuff over.

The lane had a bit more oil on it then other since it was a team that was playing on here before us was going after the "Bye" points.

At this point should i have been giving a a redo instead of trying to pick up what i had before the lane malfunctioned?

75lockwood
12-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Nope, they should just be resetting the pins that you missed before, the machine malfunctioning didn't affect your shot, it just cleared the deck when it was over.

if on the other hand, the machine does something wacky and stops you from knocking pins down somehow then yes, a redo should be given.

Siddy
12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Nope, they should just be resetting the pins that you missed before, the machine malfunctioning didn't affect your shot, it just cleared the deck when it was over.

if on the other hand, the machine does something wacky and stops you from knocking pins down somehow then yes, a redo should be given.

So being moved to a different lane that you have no practice on or dont know how the oil is means nothing?

75lockwood
12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
So being moved to a different lane that you have no practice on or dont know how the oil is means nothing?

Normally when i've been moved they have given us 2 or 3 practice shots, but i know of no rule on it... (checking bowl.com)

75lockwood
12-10-2012, 10:41 AM
I found nothing regarding changing lanes due to breakdown, only thing i found is rule 8 (http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/rulebook/2012-2013Rulebook/Rulebook_12-13.pdf)

Rule 8 – Dead Ball
When a dead ball is called, the delivery does not count and the correct pins must be respotted. The
player is allowed to rebowl that delivery.
A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:
a. After a delivery, attention is immediately called to the fact that one or more pins were missing from
the setup.
b. A human pinsetter interferes with any standing pin before the ball reaches the pins.
c. A human pinsetter removes or interferes with any downed pin before it stops rolling.
d. A player bowls on the wrong lane or out of turn, or one player from each team on the pair of lanes
bowls on the wrong lane. (See Rule 9.)
e. A player has physical contact with another person or moving object as the ball is being delivered
and before delivery is completed. In such case, the player has the option to accept the resulting
pinfall or have a dead ball called.
f. Any pin is moved or knocked down as a player delivers the ball but before the ball reaches the pins.
g. A delivered ball comes in contact with a foreign obstacle.

AZBowla's Girl
12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I think that if there is a malfunction and one must be moved to another lane, the lane should have the leftover pins set up for the shot to continue. However, I also believe that the person should be allowed to take a few practice shots first so that he or she may get used to the lane first, otherwise it seems unfair to me. The oil could be different on that lane than the other one and so forth.

panbanger
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Rule 106c covers an interrupted game/series and doesn't mention practice shots when changing lanes. Actually the entire rule book doesnt mention practice shots. I guess it's just common for people to get 10 minutes to warm up, but it's not anything covered by USBC rules.

noeymc
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
they dont have to give u warm up at all to be honest

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
A couple of weekends ago, I bowled in a tournament with my friend, it was a Doubles tournament shot under a Mulligan format. Anyway, we started on 5-6 and lane six started to mess up and both teams wanted moved to another lane, and we went to 9-10, they gave us two practice shots on each lane, I think we should've gotten around five minutes or so.

Zothen
12-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Thier are no practice shots if you are moved to another lane due to lane malfuction. Their are always exceptions,but,usually no practice all scores are transfered over to new lanes and you bowl the pins left.

Zothen

Ludeth
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
It does suck that there are no practice shots. Any sort of move or delay like that is frustrating. Not only can it throw you off of your mental game but changing lanes and oil conditions sucks.

billf
12-11-2012, 09:52 PM
There is nothing in the rules saying you get any practice shots. I've never received any when having to move. Does it suck? Yep but so what, part of the game.

Tampabaybob
12-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Bills correct.....no practice shots are allowed. You just shoot the frame you were in when the malfunction occurred.

Bob

got_a_300
12-27-2012, 04:41 PM
There is no rule saying you are supposed to get any kind of practice not
even the normal 10 minute practice warm up before a league starts there
is nothing in the rule book stating that the bowling center has to give you
a 10 minute warm up that is up to the center / league wither you get it or
not but of coarse they would be crazy not to allow it though.

Just as in tournaments there is no written rule stating that you shall receive
10 minutes of practice before the tournament scoring starts and also where you
move to the next pair of lanes for the next game or the next set like singles or
doubles there are no practice shots allowed you move and bowl for score.

I guess the USBC considers a person should be good enough and able to make any
kind of adjustments within a frame or two when changing lanes.

GeoLes
01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
What if a ball is moved out of place, say the 4-pin is slid into the 5-pin spot and the pinsetter dectected nothing? Is the ball moved back to the original spot or is it played as is?

J Anderson
01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
What if a ball is moved out of place, say the 4-pin is slid into the 5-pin spot and the pinsetter dectected nothing? Is the ball moved back to the original spot or is it played as is?

The ball can not be out of place, unless it somehow falls out of the ball return rack. If a pin is slid out of place it is played as is, where ever the pinsetter spots it. If the machine knocks it down because its off spot, it will most likely be reset in its original spot. After all, who is going to call the desk and say," I need the four pin reset halfway between the four and the five"?

GeorgiaStroker
01-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Not getting any practice after being moved may suck, but in the long run everybody has to deal with the switch so nobody is getting an unfair advantage. That being said I would be royally ticked off if I had to move after throwing 11 strikes.

remix
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Moving on your spare shot may have been to your advantage if you had a shot you normally throw straight at. Not so if you throw a hook at your spares or that particular spare.

Davec13
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM

I've slid plenty of pins out of place, the most recent was last night during midnight bowling so it didn't matter much. I slid the 5 pin so far to the left it stopped the setter. Someone went down back and reset it. I was left with a 4 1/2 -10 split. I did my best to pick it up, but being so far off spot it was hard to judge where to play the ball. I threw at a 2 pin and almost made it.

Tampabaybob
01-14-2013, 07:10 AM
If any of you ever get the chance to bowl in the USBC National tournament...jump at the chance. It is an experience that will make you want to bowl in it for the rest of your life. With that said, and to go along with the original statements here, when you bow in the Nationals, you get "ONE BALL" on each lane. Think that's not hard to figure out where to shoot ?? I always showed up early, found someone bowling that threw the ball similar to me and watched where they were throwing and how well they were doing. If they were bowling well..That's where I started from.

ecub
01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
I agree with everyone. NO PRACTICE SHOTS. But remember, this is not just effecting you, but everyone else bowling on the pair.