PDA

View Full Version : Storm Frantic a good choice?

coachkapps
12-11-2012, 07:29 PM
So I threw my buddy's Frantic a game+ the other night. Love it! However, it was on a burnt up league pattern. We bowled after league and each threw 16 games. I threw a 214 game with zero practice with it.

I currently have a Roto Grip Defiant and Storm Marvel Pearl. I love the Marvel but want to get another ball. The Storm site has the Frantic as one of the main choices for me on drier and medium lanes. In league, I'm able to throw the Marvel over 2nd arrow and further inside to the 15-17 sometimes. The other night, I threw the Frantic inside of that.

My question/problem is, I thought this ball was supposed to be a further outside ball. This ball turned hard left when it hit the dry. I have yet to throw the Frantic on regular league oil.

Thoughts? Experience with these or similar balls?

I'm a stroker, probably 15-16mph, about 275 revs, with a med/high track.

UBowling
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
The Frantic, with a lot of Storm balls, has a very sharp reaction when it hooks. Even when drilled to be weaker (like mine) it still turns hard left on the friction. Typically this is the kind of reaction you want on longer oil patterns where you have to play deep inside. If you want to play straighter up the boards or on a shorter pattern, this wouldn't be a great ball match up.

Greenday
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
My Frantic is my main ball. It's very good for medium oil. On dry lanes, I have a tough time keeping it on the right side. The ball is really aggressive. It sure crushes the pocket though. I play on a 37' THS my league nights and just throw the five board with success. Mine is just drilled normally, not for aggression or length.

I've used it on light oil, medium oil, and heavy oil. I've played the five board, the ten board, and the fifteen board all with success. As I said, good for medium or medium-heavy oil, but I wouldn't suggest using it on dry lanes.

unclemantis
01-16-2013, 01:36 PM
My Frantic is my main ball. It's very good for medium oil. On dry lanes, I have a tough time keeping it on the right side. The ball is really aggressive. It sure crushes the pocket though. I play on a 37' THS my league nights and just throw the five board with success. Mine is just drilled normally, not for aggression or length.

I've used it on light oil, medium oil, and heavy oil. I've played the five board, the ten board, and the fifteen board all with success. As I said, good for medium or medium-heavy oil, but I wouldn't suggest using it on dry lanes.

I am really thinking of getting this one. I have Heavy to medium oil lanes at my house. I currently use a 12# urethane ball. I really need a ball with more bite and still keep my current poundage.

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCj3P-gxVUVXAQp8hh-yXZCA/u

Greenday
01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm waiting for my Frantic to be redrilled like my other two balls. It gives me more flexibility in my hand and is a lot more comfortable. I miss it as it's with someone else being plugged and eventually redrilled when the guy has time.

Zothen
01-17-2013, 02:25 PM
My suggestion would be to borrow your friends Frantic and use it on fresh oil and see how it performs! If it performs the way you want on fresh oil,then buy 1,if not tehn you know it's not the ball for you.

Zothen

unclemantis
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
My suggestion would be to borrow your friends Frantic and use it on fresh oil and see how it performs! If it performs the way you want on fresh oil,then buy 1,if not tehn you know it's not the ball for you.

Zothen

Off-topic: how do you borrow a friend's ball when their span may be different?

Zothen
01-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Coachkapps stated he used his friends Frantic for a game and didn;t seem to have a problem with the way it fit. I deduced that the hand span,fingers & thumb were similar to Coachkapps. Thats why I suggested borrowing the Frantic!

Zothen

Fuzzifus
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
I havea Frantic in the bag, its my go to ball when lanes dry up (meaning medium to light oil). Drilled pin-up. I have no problem throwing it out to 5. It gets through the heads phenominally. I also put a really heavy polish on it, moreso than it was OOB. Great ball, but may not love heavy patterns.

RoccoRock
01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I just ordered a Frantic myself. It will be here Wednesday, and I will be taking it to my league Thursday night. I am looking forward to picking it up. For me, I plan on using it for fresh oil on a THS. I have a Rising Star no, and it was good when the lanes were a little worked, but on fresh oil last week I just needed a little more ball. So far, the best ball I have ever thrown on a THS was my 607A, and from talking to my driller he recommended the Frantic as a replacement. Only reason i am replacing the 607A is because it's 15#, and I am dropping to 14#, and I want to use Storm/Rotogrip products now.

Greenday
01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Got it back and practice with it yesterday. Sanded it down to 2000 grit. God how I missed that ball.

unclemantis
01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Well my pro guy didn't recommend the Frantic to me. :( I am happy with what i got :-)