PDA

View Full Version : What DV8 ball would you pick?

SouthpawTRK
12-11-2012, 11:48 PM
I currently have a DV8 Misfit and a DV8 Zombie spare and am really happy with both of them. I am thinking of picking up a 3rd DV8 ball within the next month or so. I was wondering if you had a Misfit and a Zombie, what DV8 ball would be your third choice? I'm leaning towards a Marauder or Marauder Madness since I would like to have more hook than the Misfit and I typically play on standard house pattern. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

75lockwood
12-11-2012, 11:55 PM
The Marauder is just awesome, and it definitely out hooks the Misfit. (i was looking at the misfit as a possible option for a 2nd/3rd ball to fit between the marauder and the spare ball. the madness is a lot stronger of a ball and is meant for heavier oil. how much will your misfit hook on fresh oil and how much will it hook on burnt up oil? if on fresh oil the misfit still hooks hard then getting a ball like the madness might end up not getting all that much use as its just to much for the oil conditions you bowl in. if on the other hand the misfit looks like a spare ball when you first start then the madness might be the better choice....

AZBowla's Girl
12-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I would have to go with the Marauder as a good step up from the Misfit. My boyfriend loves his very much and has had a great time using it so far. Just ask AZBowla, he will tell you. :)

Zothen
12-12-2012, 12:32 AM
If I had to pick a DV8 i'd pick the Nightmare!

Zothen

Brother_jd
12-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Nightmare.

Stormed1
12-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Depending on the volume of oil you see the next logical step would be the Marauder or if you see a higher volume the madness

scottymoney
12-12-2012, 09:10 AM
All depends on the oil you see and your style. I will tell you if the lanes are dry the madness will give you headaches. On my THS during league, my Madness is a beast, during practice when lanes are dry I have to move all over the place to find a spot to play. Something I am going to try and work on next time I go practice will be to find a different arrow and line to play rather than my beloved 2nd arrow.

I would put forth this idea, instead of looking for a ball for a certain oil maybe go for a ball that might be a tad more aggressive, but drill it different than your misfit is. If you have a ball set to go long, maybe drill the next one to have more of a arcing curve to it? Just an idea, and one that I thought about doing for my next ball.

SouthpawTRK
12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses to my original post regarding a third DV8 ball!

I'm going to talk to the pro at the shop this weekend (hopefully he can watch me throw a few frames) to see what DV8 ball would make for a good addition to what I currently have. I'll talk to him about the oil that I'm usually going to see on a regular basis and seeing what drilling patterns (other than what I have on my Misfit) could give me the results that I'm looking for.

Thanks again for everything; I really appreciate all of the feedback. I'll post an update after I meet with the pro this weekend.

billf
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
The Marauder. I wish I got my sooner but love that I have it now!
Marauder has more back end reaction designed into it than the Madness. The Madness has a slightly more even arcing hook. The Madness does handle heavier oil though.

Rdmonster
12-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I want a hellraiser.....something a tad heavier than my marauder with a smoother reaction.... My marauder Is a touch to long at times..

billf
12-13-2012, 10:02 PM
You skipped over the Madness, Reckless, Too Reckless, Hell Raiser and Terror between the Marauder and Revenge :cool:

SouthpawTRK
12-14-2012, 12:42 AM
The Marauder. I wish I got my sooner but love that I have it now!
Marauder has more back end reaction designed into it than the Madness. The Madness has a slightly more even arcing hook. The Madness does handle heavier oil though.

Bill, I thought I read a post somewhere that you had two Marauders? If that's true, do you have one that is drilled to hook more and one that is drilled to go longer?

eugene02
12-14-2012, 04:14 AM
I would want a hmm.. Marauder, Terror and maybe the spare? hehe!

Cochese
12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
I just picked up the Terror and it is a great ball. Mine is laid out 4x4x1 and it is a great set up for a fresh house shot. My Thursday league is pretty light on oil, so I did struggle a bit in the last game yesterday when the lanes dried up. But I have only had the ball for two days and still am playing around with the lines I want to play.

UBowling
12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
My buddy is a staff member and he now has 3 of the Too Reckless. He says it is the best ball in their lineup. That would be the one I would get.

billf
12-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Bill, I thought I read a post somewhere that you had two Marauders? If that's true, do you have one that is drilled to hook more and one that is drilled to go longer?

I have two Revenge's. One to go longer than the other. One of them is an X-out that DV8 sent me. The CG is kicked WAY out. The balance hole on that ball is strictly to get the weight legal. I love the reaction of that particular ball. I can actually change hand position and use it at my home center. The one it replaced was so strong I couldn't use it during league. I still can't use the pin down outside of tournaments.
The Marauder I had drilled 50 X 4 X 30. I should have asked for a longer drill angle to get more length. Oh well, live and learn. The ball still does great. It's been the only ball used lately.

eugene02
12-15-2012, 09:01 AM
to think of it.. i would want every ball except the Hell Raiser Revenge because I have 1 already =P

SouthpawTRK
12-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Once again thanks to everyone for their awesome responses to my original post; so proud to be a member of this forum!

The pro from the shop watched me bowl last night and recommended that I work on some fundamentals before picking up my third DV8. To me this was some of the best news I could have heard for a couple of reasons.

First, it tells me that he would like for me to be a long time customer, not just telling me that I should be another ball for a quick sale. Secondly, it reminds me for the fact that I've been bowling for less than 2 months and I should acquire a stronger foundation of skills/fundamentals.

So, for now, my next DV8 purchase is going to be put on hold and I'll revisit the idea of a purchase in a 2-3 months.