PDA

View Full Version : go ahead and rip it apart

billf
12-14-2012, 06:44 AM
It took me a week tp get it loaded to YouTube, my 12th game of practice this past Saturday. I figured by then I would have slowed down and make the mistakes easier to find. I found about 6 right away.

http://youtu.be/KR0BeQhDvaI

scottymoney
12-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Shoes not tight enough Bill? Wrong hat?

I would say knee bend and it looks like at the end you keep looking down at the foul line.

noeymc
12-14-2012, 09:24 AM
ok so ill say some things and u can tell me if u seen the same things your timing is off for like the first min the ball should pass your right leg right as u take ur last step u look a sec behind

at 1:24 u changed ur axis or the way u thur your ball u where coming over it more

thats the what i seen

martinezsam2495
12-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Aiming at the wrong board?
It looks like you are throwing it on the 3rd arrow on the right,

billf
12-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Shoes not tight enough Bill? Wrong hat?

I would say knee bend and it looks like at the end you keep looking down at the foul line.
I was looking down at the foul line. I wasn't sliding and was curious where I was finishing and checking for drift

ok so ill say some things and u can tell me if u seen the same things your timing is off for like the first min the ball should pass your right leg right as u take ur last step u look a sec behind

at 1:24 u changed ur axis or the way u thur your ball u where coming over it more

thats the what i seen

I don't see the timing like you do. The ball shouldn't pass as your foot hits the floor on the last step either. Timing wasn't as bad as I expected but looks worse with zero slide

Aiming at the wrong board?
It looks like you are throwing it on the 3rd arrow on the right,

It's the angle Sam. The ball was usually going over 12

1. Lazy balance arm. It wasn't whipping like it does when I'm going good so that results in a loss of leverage. May be due to trying to slow down.
2. Concentrating on the Mark Baker timing procedure, I forgot to slide.
3. Too big of a slide step causing a plant. Not sliding reduces your margin of error for timing.
4. Popping the head up at the line. At times even when I was checking distance to the line and drift.
5. Chest angled too far down. Have to keep the chest up, head over the knee and toe of slide leg. Too much forward lean leads to inconsistency and loss of leverage.
6. Not keeping the hand under the ball through the downswing. Doing so flattens the swing adding more margin for error.

Overall I was bowling like garbage and thought I would share it with the forum. One thing I had hoped to accomplish was figuring out spares with the brace on. It worked as my spare game was much better this week.
And a thank you to TampaBayBob as I'm wearing steel fingers under that brace. No knuckle pain at all this week using it.

J Anderson
12-14-2012, 08:29 PM
2. Concentrating on the Mark Baker timing procedure, I forgot to slide.
3. Too big of a slide step causing a plant. Not sliding reduces your margin of error for timing.
4. Popping the head up at the line. At times even when I was checking distance to the line and drift.
5. Chest angled too far down. Have to keep the chest up, head over the knee and toe of slide leg. Too much forward lean leads to inconsistency and loss of leverage.

Overall I was bowling like garbage and thought I would share it with the forum. One thing I had hoped to accomplish was figuring out spares with the brace on. It worked as my spare game was much better this week.
And a thank you to TampaBayBob as I'm wearing steel fingers under that brace. No knuckle pain at all this week using it.

I was surprised to see you planting, as you had said in an earlier post that you trying to get at least a little bit of slide. I assume that when you're not practicing, but just focusing on making an excellent delivery, you do slide without having to think about it.

I take it the over long slide step causes your heel to strike the floor first.

Could item 4 be related to item 5? Subconsciously you know that you're too bent over and pop back up at the end? Or is the popping up a remnant of your cranker style, like the foot plant, that jumps out of the closet when you're focused on something else?

sprocket
12-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I think one of the easiest ways to learn to slide and also get more drive through the shot is to shorten the pivot step a bunch. Stand up right now and imagine your pivot step just slightly ahead of your left foot. Actually place your right foot just slightly ahead of your left foot. Now get up on your toes on that right foot like you are going to drive forward off it into your slide. Feel how much leverage you have? You can actually feel the power, right?
Now do the same thing but put the right foot much further ahead of the left foot. Again, go up on your toes on that right foot. You will now feel a total lack of leverage because that foot is WAY forward of your center of gravity. How can you push into a slide from that position? It is pretty hard to do. It is much easier to plant.

billf
12-14-2012, 11:17 PM
John, you're probably right about the plant being left over habit from the cranker days. Before I went blind and had to crank, I had no problems sliding at all. Now I have to think about it. The pop up due to the chest being too far forward makes sense. I hadn't thought of that.
Monday on my first practice throw I slid so far I thought I would easily be over the line but wasn't. It was the first of many pretty shots that day. Amazing what a difference a day can make.

Sprocket, that's how my pivot step feels...right up until I take that huge step and plant. It's a habit I've been trying to eliminate and thought it was gone until then, when it made an unannounced and unwanted appearance.

10-in-the-pit
12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Footwork has been mentioned. I think part of the problem is towards the top of your backswing. There is some movement there that looks like it could cause some issues. I think it's related, but there's a little skip to your step where you pop up a little during the approach.

Big Nick
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm no expert, but your footwork seems rushed due to late timing. Mark Baker even says in his book that timing that late takes a ton of practice to become consistent. Also, I think Mark's timing spot is dependent on having a strong slide. I plant my left foot a delivery, and as such, I've gone back to a more traditional timing and my scores have improved. I know you said you weren't sliding properly due to focusing on your timing, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

billf
12-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Footwork has been mentioned. I think part of the problem is towards the top of your backswing. There is some movement there that looks like it could cause some issues. I think it's related, but there's a little skip to your step where you pop up a little during the approach.

I didn't even notice the back swing thing. WTF is that about? lol Seems I go outside, inside then back outside all at the top. That's hilarious. So much wasted movement and energy. Thank you

billf
12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm no expert, but your footwork seems rushed due to late timing. Mark Baker even says in his book that timing that late takes a ton of practice to become consistent. Also, I think Mark's timing spot is dependent on having a strong slide. I plant my left foot a delivery, and as such, I've gone back to a more traditional timing and my scores have improved. I know you said you weren't sliding properly due to focusing on your timing, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I've been sliding great since that was shot so as soon as I have a chance I will record another with the slide to compare.