PDA

View Full Version : Those Days When Everything Rolls Perfectly

Greenday
12-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Lately I've been having a little trouble with my ball rolling flat. Very little hook. I've been releasing the ball too early and my hand has been too on top of the ball. Worked on it with my coach along with some approach stuff on Thursday.

Went to do my Sunday morning practice today and holy crap was I on fire. I was releasing my ball properly near my toes. My hand position was excellent. My timing on my approach was perfect. My ball hooked so damn much with so much power. No matter what board I threw, I was killing it. Started the ten board, then when I warmed up, moved to the five and that's when thinks starting killing. Once I had my aim down, I moved to the ten and was doing well. Then I decided I needed more oil and playing the 15. Had a BEAUTIFUL wide sweeping hook. It made me want to cry that I was only throwing strike balls and wasn't throwing spare shots.

Zothen
12-16-2012, 01:25 PM
I long for those days where everything goes right during leagues! 1 day I will be a bowling GoD again!

Zothen

Greenday
12-16-2012, 01:41 PM
God I wish it was during league. I feel like I could have easily bowled a 600 series today. I'm bowling another five games tomorrow and then probably three on Tuesday before league on Wednesday. Hopefully I can keep this up.

ArtVandelay
12-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I completely understand! With me, I think it's the blind squirrel theory... I've been bowling long enough that every now and then things will just go right for me! hahahaha.

billf
12-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Ride the wave while you can!

e-tank
12-16-2012, 11:35 PM
ill let you know when the day comes haha

scottymoney
12-17-2012, 09:48 AM
I could use a few of these days!

Greenday
12-17-2012, 04:54 PM
God I hope this continues on Wednesday night at league. Bowled at a different bowling alley today from Sunday. This place does $2 games until 6pm Mon-Fri and the beer is cheap. Normally I bowl the five board there but my ball was breaking almost as soon as it hit the lane. Move to the ten board and BINGO, crushing it. My third and fourth games were between 200-210. My first two games I just threw a strike ball every throw. End of the fourth game, my back got really stiff and started to hurt. My fifth game it killed so I just took it easy. Bought some Aleve and I think I'm going to skip practicing tomorrow.

Tampabaybob
12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Lately I've been having a little trouble with my ball rolling flat. Very little hook. I've been releasing the ball too early and my hand has been too on top of the ball. Worked on it with my coach along with some approach stuff on Thursday.

Went to do my Sunday morning practice today and holy crap was I on fire. I was releasing my ball properly near my toes. My hand position was excellent. My timing on my approach was perfect. My ball hooked so damn much with so much power. No matter what board I threw, I was killing it. Started the ten board, then when I warmed up, moved to the five and that's when thinks starting killing. Once I had my aim down, I moved to the ten and was doing well. Then I decided I needed more oil and playing the 15. Had a BEAUTIFUL wide sweeping hook. It made me want to cry that I was only throwing strike balls and wasn't throwing spare shots.

It's great when it all comes together like this. One thing you may not have noticed, when you were bowling, you probably weren't thinking to much, just executing the shots. Right? Most times when you're in the "ZONE", you just get up and throw the ball, letting your muscle memory take over.

Great to hear you've found the magic potion, now do it on league nite ! Good luck.

Bob

Greenday
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm curious how this will carry over to league night where it's not just me getting up there, throwing ball after ball. Four man teams really slows things down.

Tampabaybob
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm curious how this will carry over to league night where it's not just me getting up there, throwing ball after ball. Four man teams really slows things down.

Learning to pace yourself is very important. When we're practicing we're shooting one after another quickly and that helps to promote muscle memory. When you get into the league and things slow down, it's important to relax between frames and then get back into the zone just before it's your turn.

What I do, is get up as the guy before me is getting up to shoot his first ball. During the time he's shooting his frame I stand in the back, take some slow deep breaths to relax and remind myself of where I'm going to stand, what my target is, and just let my mind relax. There's plenty of time to think about shots after you shoot the frame and think about any changes you might want to make on your next shot. After your frame is over, it's also a good time to talk with the guys and relax and enjoy the evening. When you step up as the guy in front of you is getting ready, you as well are getting ready....in your mind. Once you step up next to the ball return, it's all business. Take your time..don't rush the shot. You're the only one in the bowling center and 100% of your mind should be focused on your execution of the shot. Before you take that fist step, focus on your target and tell yourself "Just make a good shot". And then go. A huge part of bowling, is that it's a mental game as well as physical. Once you can learn to control that part of the game you'll see a big change. Try it and see if it helps.

Good Luck....Bob

Greenday
12-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Ugh, another awful league night. I can't stand the slow *** bowling. I hate throwing a frame then having to wait 5 or more minutes to bowl. And by the time I get up there, the lane conditions have changed enough that I should have adjusted half the time.

e-tank
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
not only to lane changes happen but your pretty much ice cold. When you go up its like its your first throw of the night

Greenday
12-20-2012, 12:34 AM
During practice, I threw the five board with my front foot on the 15 board. By the end of the first game, my front foot was on the 19 board. The oil was so heavy in the middle I just couldn't play anything else. I think I ended up on like the 23 board end of the night. Plagued with splits and ten pins. And for the first time in forever, I had trouble with my spare shots and it killed me.

Perrin
12-20-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't have too much issues during games but between games and between the warmups and the first game it seems that the lanes always transition and never know if it will need a move right or left to adjust to it :(

Tampabaybob
12-20-2012, 07:23 AM
During practice, I threw the five board with my front foot on the 15 board. By the end of the first game, my front foot was on the 19 board. The oil was so heavy in the middle I just couldn't play anything else. I think I ended up on like the 23 board end of the night. Plagued with splits and ten pins. And for the first time in forever, I had trouble with my spare shots and it killed me.

Welcome to the game of Bowling 21st century style ! These are the conditions and the circumstances we all have to contend with now with the synthetic lanes, synthetic oils, and these new computer designed balls. If anything changes at all it'll be for the worse. As ball companies stretch the limits on fancier weight blocks and more aggressive covers the oil companies are keeping up with slicker oil compounds.

So get used to it and be prepared.

Bob

Perrin
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Quick someone come up with a way to restore the lanes to the same condition for every shot....

:D

Tampabaybob
12-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Quick someone come up with a way to restore the lanes to the same condition for every shot....

:D

Unfortunately that won't happen anytime soon. That's why you see all of the high average guys walking in with 4 or 6 ball bags. Oil conditions will change, that's a fact, and most times they'll change even after just the 10 minute practice !! You have to constantly be aware (on guard) as to how your ball is reacting. As soon as you start leaving a 4 pin, and you know you hit your target, MOVE. That 4 pin is an indicator, before you leave a split. That's the time to move, not after you've thrown a 4 pin and then a split.

Bob