PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for a Tourney, as I change my game

MisterSinister
12-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure I'm ready for this, but I am bowling in a Tourny New Years day. 6 weeks ago, I was ready, but then I totaly changed the way I bowl. I started using my thumb, for the first time in my life. I am not bowling up to my average just yet, about 10 pins below it. I can get a few games going, but can't keep it going. It's a 4 game tourney, where you drop your low score. I want to do it, and think if I practice between now and then, and work on things, I can do OK, but I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about it. The good thing, they use last years high average, and my average last year is right around the same as what I am doing now. I look at it as a way to have fun, and get experience, and maybe get lucky. Plus, my buddy, who is a scratch bowler, is going to do the tourny, so he will be there giving me tips the whole time. It's because of him that I can even bowl this way at all. He crafted my new delivery from the start. He says the competition there should be pretty good, but he thinks I have a chance to make the stepladder finals.

scottymoney
12-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Good Luck!

J Anderson
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
As long as you go in with the attitude that you're going to have fun and enjoy it, you'll be fine. In a one day tournament, half the battle is figuring out the lanes and making the right adjustments as you go. The other half is being in that zone where every ball feels right coming off your hand and every shot goes right over your target.

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
That's a Mulligan format, I bowled in one of those earlier this month. I'm in the middle of tweaking/changing my form some and I'm having problems throwing the ball out now because of it..so, I'm always trying a consistent way to do it right now..

MisterSinister
12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The good thing is it's on a THS. I've bowled at this alley before, so I think I can get it figured out pretty quick. The oter issue I have is ball related. I only have one ball (aside from my spare ball) that is drilled to use my thumb. I don;t even have anything worth re drilling. So I am stuck using a Roto Grip Noamd pearl, and that's it. My buddy has a ton of balls, but they don't fit my hand that well, and he uses a Sarge Easter grip. I threw one of his balls last time out, kind of liked the grip itself, but I think it would be trying to learn too many things at once. Like I said, just gonna try to have fun. I will also try to recriut some other friends to join us in the tourney.

SSG
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
as others have said. Make sure you go in with the mindset of it being a learning experience for yourself. I was lucky that i started going into tournaments at a young age before i knew what nerves or pressure was. So by the time i was old enough to know i was confident and experienced in my game. Just go and have fun, placing and bowling good is an after thought.

MisterSinister
12-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I think I'm ready for the tourney, except I don't have enough balls in the bag right now. I may have a ball waiting for me under the tree, so that would help. I have a feeling my wife bought me a gift certificate to the local pro shop. Maybe I can add something to my arsenal before the tourny.

billf
12-19-2012, 07:06 PM
If your luck is like mine, the gift certificate is for only like $25

ArtVandelay
12-19-2012, 09:46 PM
That's interesting! I'm completely changing myself as well. I don't have enough experience bowling thumb in to know for sure how this will go... In my mind, the transition won't be too bad as long as I get some practice in, but now that you say you've been at it for 6 weeks I'm kind of concerned... It will be interesting to see how this goes!

Good luck to ya!

MisterSinister
12-21-2012, 09:06 PM
If your luck is like mine, the gift certificate is for only like $25

Better not be, my gifts to her totaled over $200!

Flyer41
12-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Good luck with your adjustments and with the tournament. Just try to have some fun while you're out there, working on mechanics while competing usually doesn't turn out too hot.

MisterSinister
12-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Not sure I'm gonna make it tomorrow. Not feeling well this morning, I have a 101 fever. Feeling sick, and weak, and don't think I'll be better by tomorrow. Oh well, there will be more tourneys.