PDA

View Full Version : BWAA's KOUROS ELECTED TO USBC HALL OF FAME

onefrombills
11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
BWAA's KOUROS ELECTED TO USBC HALL OF FAME

Tom KourosLong-time BWAA member Tom Kouros of Deer Park, Ill., an internationally-acclaimed author and bowling instructor, has been elected to the United States Bowling Congress Hall of Fame by the USBC Hall of Fame Committee.

Also elected were Gene Stus of Allen Park, Mich., in the Veterans category and Lowell Rothschild, a Tucson, Ariz., attorney who played significant roles with the American Bowling Congress, International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame, and Maccabiah USA Sports for Israel organization.

All three, along with any others who may be elected from the Superior Performance ballot, will be inducted during the USBC Annual Meeting in Reno in late April.

Kouros' career blossomed from pinboy to competitor, proprietor, author and world-class bowling instructor in his native Chicago where he founded the Institute of Professional Bowling Instruction and authored a pair of best-selling books: "Par Bowling" and "Par Bowling: The Challenge." He has served as a columnist for Bowlers Journal International for more than 30 years and has personally coached some of the sport's top stars, both in the United States and internationally. Kouros will celebrate his 82nd birthday on Nov. 19.

"I'm tickled pink. I never thought I'd get in," Kouros said. "Guys like me are too outspoken; we rub some people the wrong way, but I've always been a guy who'd tell you if I thought your nose was too big. You do a lot of things and you don't know if they're appreciated. This wipes that whole slate clean. I'm very happy."

Kouros, a founding member and past president of the Mid-America Bowling Writers, was recognized for his pioneering coaching efforts as recipient of BWAA's Rip Van Winkle Award in 1997, was presented the Flowers for the Living Award in 2001 and received the World Bowling Writers Lifetime Coaching Achievement Award in 2002