PDA

View Full Version : Another thumb question

jbeck
12-22-2012, 02:31 PM
I've recently found my stroke, by staying behind the ball til at the point of release then I power through. Since then I've been getting a nasty blister and pain on my thumb. (sucks for my touchscreen phone) I do have grips in my fingers, but none in my thumb hole which is nice and snug. I tried one of those thumb straps, but that makes it too big to fit all the way in the hole, so I was wondering how many of you use a slug in your thumb and does it benefit you? Or what do you use? I'm seriously thinking of taking my ball into a pro shop today. I can barely get through 3 games now.

ArtVandelay
12-22-2012, 03:47 PM
That's why I went with that interchangeable thumb on my new ball. I hear too many things like this about the thumb and I'm still a rookie(ish) on bowling with the thumb. Over time I want to be able to just change that insert rather than plug and redrill or do anything that might effect the integrity of the ball.

jbeck
12-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of doing that...don't know how much it costs though.

Greenday
12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Where on your thumb are you getting blisters?

Rdmonster
12-22-2012, 06:01 PM
I use a slug and had to have a pretty serious bevel put on the hole. I was geting the hard edge of the thumb hole pinching the nerve in the base of my thumb. For a while I was panicked as most of my thumb on the same side (palmar aspect) as my fingers was numb. That was a month and a half or so ago and the problem has finally gotten better.

It forced me to change my delivery and my game has improved a little because of it.

EboniteKid299
12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I use thumb molds, all molds feel the same and put them in each ball like slugs urethene material love them, cost effecient and each ball comes off my hand the same

jbeck
12-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Where on your thumb are you getting blisters?
I get it on the palm side tip. Luckily I can't stand to have fingernails past the tip of my fingers. I know it's coming from the quick snap release and I'm sure my fingers would be the same if I didn't have grips in them. I'm gonna see my driller tomorrow to see what I can do.

ArtVandelay
12-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of doing that...don't know how much it costs though.

That's the problem... It wasn't too cheap. It ran me $114 after taxes and everything. That included the drilling, the fingertips, and the thumb mechanism.

I still think I came out on top though, because the Lane 1 ball I bought isn't really sold anywhere in Texas. But I was looking around at spare balls, and the same type of Columbia White Dot you can get on bowlingball.com for $50/60 was running $120/140 at the pro shop. That price includes drilling, BUT not the interchangeable thumb and finger inserts. So after that, you're looking at $200 for a white dot spare ball. I'd rather buy online, because $60 and another $115 is only $175, so you save $25. Maybe that AMF is just super expensive, I dunno. I had checked in a Brunswick center and the price wasn't any better. I'm sure all the alleys in the area are similar. There are only 3 real bowling lanes in the area I live, and everything else is a Main Event family fun zone, and those don't count as bowling alleys.

jbeck
12-22-2012, 11:41 PM
That's the problem... It wasn't too cheap. It ran me $114 after taxes and everything. That included the drilling, the fingertips, and the thumb mechanism.

I still think I came out on top though, because the Lane 1 ball I bought isn't really sold anywhere in Texas. But I was looking around at spare balls, and the same type of Columbia White Dot you can get on bowlingball.com for $50/60 was running $120/140 at the pro shop. That price includes drilling, BUT not the interchangeable thumb and finger inserts. So after that, you're looking at $200 for a white dot spare ball. I'd rather buy online, because $60 and another $115 is only $175, so you save $25. Maybe that AMF is just super expensive, I dunno. I had checked in a Brunswick center and the price wasn't any better. I'm sure all the alleys in the area are similar. There are only 3 real bowling lanes in the area I live, and everything else is a Main Event family fun zone, and those don't count as bowling alleys.
Wow...don't have that kind of cash now...maybe just a slug will be good I'm hoping for now. Maybe when I get a new ball I'll go that route.

scottymoney
12-22-2012, 11:46 PM
I would try one piece of bowling tape on the pad side of your thumb. I use electrical tape myself when I need to use tape in the thumb hole. It is slick enough that it may help you not to have so much thumb irritation.

jbeck
12-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Hmm that sounds like a good idea! I've got plenty of that stuff!

billf
12-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Sounds like your thumb may not be clearing the hole soon enough. If the tape doesn't work, or even if it does, try to get your thumb out a split second sooner.

jbeck
12-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Well I took my ball in and had it filed down some, so now the release feels smooth!