PDA

View Full Version : Have you stopped smiling?

J Anderson
12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Background: From 1975 to 2008 I was a casual league bowler. I bowled one night a week in a league that had and still has a nice banquet at the end of the season, and gave only trophies, no cash prizes. I would occasionally bowl with friends during the summer or on a weekend. Our team used to joke about having a no practice rule for the off season.

In 2008 I switched to bowling left-handed for the season. I had to practice. I invested in some used reactive resin balls, learned to throw a hook with either hand. Tried the sport league in the summer of 2009 and got hooked on the challenge of tougher conditions and better bowlers. Have been bowling in both my original league and the sport league ever since.

I like to think that I enjoy this game, but I've come to the realization that I may have been infected by the dreaded "Ultra Serious Bowler" virus. I was subbing in a late afternoon, non-sanctioned league made up of bowlers with loose connections to a local school system. I had thrown a strike on the first ball in the tenth. As I walked back to wait for the ball to return, Michael ( not the Iceman, but clearly a kindred soul ) said, "You know, you can smile when you get a strike." I realized that I've been showing more positive emotion for other peoples good shots than for my own.

I think I have my resolution for the new year, what about you?

billf
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't smile either. I expect to do well and try to stay focused on the approach. I also don't showboat, hoot, holler or any of that other foolish stuff. I do my best to let my bowling do my talking and try to never show up my opponent. That is, until they say or do something to start it.

I cheer my teammates and even my opponents openly (while secretly hoping they throw all splits). I take my bowling seriously but still have fun. It's no different than any other sport in that regard for me. I've always practiced more than others. I had to. It was the only way I could make up for my lack of talent and still is. I started this sport late in life at 37 and have a lot of games to make up for to catch those half my age. Plus I only started getting serious about two years ago.

ArtVandelay
12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Texas has a lot of the, "oh, so you think youre better than me?!? You aint better than me!!!" built into it... I try not to be too happy, especially if we are winning big. People get pissed too easily. But I always try to be a good sport. If someone on the other team is being a jerk, i just ignore them.

Ive always felt bowling was a hobby. I think its something meant to be enjoyed. People take it too seriously. Every time i bowl i try to remember this:

You should always hope everyone bowls very well. You can only hope you happen to bowl BETTER.

ssclary
12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I am with you, I need to lighten up. I am taking bowling too serious at times and really lose the fun.

One of the hardest parts is the "sandbaggers". Extremely bitter about that, I should just chalk it up to being in a handicap league, but every now and then it gets under my skin.

Deep breaths...

Now Back to enjoying it

You should always hope everyone bowls very well. You can only hope you happen to bowl BETTER.

ArtVandelay
12-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah... We have a team that sandbags like crazy. Two of their bowlers are in a scratch league, and their highest average is a 167....? The guy with a 167 had a 300 game earlier this season, and the other guy with a 162 average has TWO 700 series. My team has the best all around team. We only have one weak bowler and our femal has the high average for females in the league. So we are doing well. The 300 game and both 700 series were against our team...

It does drive us nuts, but at a certain point you just have to feel sorry for people who feel winning is more important than honesty and fair play.

I just ignore them. Maybe too much. One guy bowled a strike and put his hand out for me to congratulate him. I had just blown on my hand (cold night, trying to warm it up) so I just smiled and said, "i would, but i just blew into my hand. Sorry."

Funny how i always seem to have an excuse...

MisterSinister
12-27-2012, 11:31 PM
If I ever stop smiling, then I have to quit. Yes, I get frustrated at times, utter the occasional foul word, or yell a foul word here or there. In the end though, I have fun. I smile when I strike, when a teammate strikes, when we win, when something crazy happens. Have to keep the fun in the game, otherwise it's like work, and I hate work.

e-tank
12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
well i drink before i bowl so im half laughing half concentrating. I try not to get too serious because thats when i make mistakes.

Zothen
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm very competitive and I will yell at my teammates if I think their slacking or not bowling to their potential. As far as smiling i'm always smiling when were winning,but,will have a pissed off look if we lose.

Zothen

Cochese
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I still have a pretty good time, as long as I am bowling ok. I am pretty hard on myself if I miss an easy spare or if I am having a bad game.

americantrotter
12-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I have a hard time smiling when I strike. I feel awkward about it. But on the other hand I am always happy to cheer on others for their shots. Always for the the other team if they are kind enough to do the same. But bowling does bring a lot of people who have thin skin.

I'm there to have fun and bowl well. I want you to bowl well, it pushes me. (Doesn't mean I don't want you to get a split when you're already way ahead, I have my limits LOL)

Greenday
12-28-2012, 02:58 PM
I smile if I have a good strike or I make a tough spare. I smile when my teammates, who are much more casual bowlers, get a strike or spare.

But if I get a Brooklyn strike or some crappy strike, I'm not too happy. I'm a perfectionist and it shows in my attitude around my own game.

MICHAEL
12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't smile either. I expect to do well and try to stay focused on the approach. I also don't showboat, hoot, holler or any of that other foolish stuff. I do my best to let my bowling do my talking and try to never show up my opponent. That is, until they say or do something to start it.

I cheer my teammates and even my opponents openly (while secretly hoping they throw all splits). I take my bowling seriously but still have fun. It's no different than any other sport in that regard for me. I've always practiced more than others. I had to. It was the only way I could make up for my lack of talent and still is. I started this sport late in life at 37 and have a lot of games to make up for to catch those half my age. Plus I only started getting serious about two years ago.

What about ICEMAN, Bill??? You think you have a lot to make up, starting in your mid 30's?? What about ME,,, gulp,,, I started when I was 62, and really didn't get going to the HIGH LEVEL of bowing I am at now, until last May when I found this website! Yes less then a year, and now I am a TOP GUN!!

I am a humble bowler, and know that even if I am one of the TOP guns in their Mid 60’s, I will never forget where I came from! Smile when you’re Doing well, or even not so good! Believe me I have two mothers in nursing homes, and I see how much pain and suffering many are living with day to day existence! They are not living, but as someone on this site once said, they are existing, not LIVING

Big difference,,, they have something to not smile about,,,, but many of them,,,, Many I can get a smile out of when I joke around with them!!
Bowing is a Sport, and winning is GREAT, but having your health, lots of money, a beautiful wife, nice car, lots of bowling equipment, and toys,,,,, that’s,,,,,,,, THAT’S my friend is what life is all about! Those things make you SMILE!!! No matter how bad, or good your bowling on any given day, ( and bowing is that kind of sport, good, bad, and ugly), Remember to keep a smile on the bill board called the HUMAN FACE!

Smiling has scientifically been proven to increase you life expectancy by 3 1/3 years! Next time your feeling down, and with a sad face, go OUT AND BUY A NEW BOWLING BALL!!! LOL (:)

RoccoRock
12-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, I stopped smiling a while ago. It's my own fault. I started taking the game too serious, especially considering I'm not all that good. I totally changed my delivery to be more "accepted" and it became a project. I wouldn't say that I failed at my transition, but I will say I am still better at my old style, and I had more fun with the old style. I lost my temper 3 times in 4 weeks. Cursing, punching walls, even broke my phone. Bowled my old style last night, and I was smiling the whole time. So yes I lost my smile, but maybe I found it again.

UBowling
12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I smile quite a bit. Not just in bowling, but in life. I am quick to laugh. Bowling is no different. I do however have high expectations so if I am not performing to my level I expect, I do get upset. But when I am bowling good I am always happy about it. Especially when my friends and I get into it and we are all giving each other a hard time and get competitive. Then the trash talking is even more of a reason to smile.

Rdmonster
12-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm always smiling....If I suck...I'm smiling....If Im kicking *** I'm smiling...If the other guy is rolling well I'm smiling....my league is my weekly fun day and I dont want anything to screw it up...Our league and center is in a small town type of environment...lots of the bowling league is on ly golf league also...not to many jerks or ultra competitive types.

My team is my brother and two very good (and pretty big lol) friends...if anyone cops an attitude they would want their whole team backing them and ready to rumble...I know mine would..;) but its never been an issue.