PDA

View Full Version : Focus and fun!

jbeck
12-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Just one week later from my best score of a 182, I capitalized that again today with a 187! My series was a 176, 133, and 187...just 4 pins away from my first 500 series! The first game I was just having fun, by throwing my first frame with a 14lb house ball and just relaxing. The alleys are full with all the kids out of school, so with all the distractions going on I just wanted to relax and not think too much. I was really surprised with my 176 score in that first game! The second game I couldn't find the sweet spot on either lane and my only strike ball came in the final ball in the 10th frame. Game 3 I started to focus, cause these kids next to me seem to be showing me up. Not really...but I saw a few strikes and thought to myself I gotta do better. So I just said I'm gonna just try to throw my best ball every frame and not look at the score board even if I screw up. Well I threw a total of 5 strikes and a couple of 9 spares which probably should've been strikes (definitely getting a 14lb ball next). Besides the 2 splits that I couldn't convert I really did throw my best ball and that's what I focused on.

Tampabaybob
12-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Way to go..... focusing, otherwise known as concentration, is a very important aspect of this game. Before you pick up your ball, think of yourself as being the only person in the center and there are no sounds at all. It's just you, the ball, and your target (not the pins !). This will get you int a ZONE that blocks out all distractions around you and enhances your ability to "FOCUS"

Good improvement, keep up the good practice.

Bob

billf
12-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Good job. The distractions during practice can work to your advantage as it teaches you how to concentrate better to get in to that zone Bob described above.

J Anderson
12-29-2012, 10:23 AM
The great paradox of our sport. You need to be relaxed to execute a free swing and a good release, yet you have to be focused which for most of us introduces an element of tension.

jbeck
12-29-2012, 05:19 PM
The funny thing is I think I bowl better when there's a lot going on. I remember being the only bowler one time and I felt like all the people who were there just getting food were watching me screw up! LOL.

ArtVandelay
01-05-2013, 12:36 AM
I like your style, Jeff Beck (humor me... I'm a HUGE fan!)!!! Bowling SHOULD always be relaxed and fun. I have seen a lot of posts about kids annoying people and whatnot, and that always bothers me a little because we NEED kids to enjoy the hobby or it will have a hard time staying in business. I can't imagine the average age of a league bowler is very low...

If I was claiming my league winnings on my taxes, that would be one thing, but for what it is: Fun is the key! And I think that if you can manage to have fun, the scores will work themselves out, because getting better at something you LOVE to do just seems to come naturally. Practice makes perfect (OR, perfect practice makes perfect...?).

And now, let us enjoy your musical stylings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZlFTbvfKPE

Tampabaybob
01-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Art...right on top of things, finding 'Jeff Beck' !! Good one.

MisterSinister
01-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Good job. The distractions during practice can work to your advantage as it teaches you how to concentrate better to get in to that zone Bob described above.

A few weeks ago I was bowling some practice games with friends. 2 pairs of lanes down were a group of youn guys, in thier twentys, using house balls and having fun. Of course, when young get those guys around, you get the inevitable throwing the ball too soon, and slamming into the gate while it is still down. Well one of these clowns not only hit the gate, but the ball deflected up, and smashed into the light. So what did the center do, kick them out? Nope, moved them down a pair, so they were right next to us. My friends complained. They did not want to bowl with these guys next to them, we knew they would have no courtesy, and are doing stupid stuff. I told my friends to use it. Use it to train yourself to block out distractions. If you can bowl next to those idiots, and block them out it can definatly help your game.

Rdmonster
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Jeff Beck.....certified badass

ArtVandelay
01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Art...right on top of things, finding 'Jeff Beck' !! Good one.

You're welcome! I try to contribute to this forum...

Jeff Beck.....certified badass

Without question! I'm glad he's a part of our little forum. Easily one of my favorite forum members. Thanks, jbeck!

Tampabaybob
01-07-2013, 05:39 AM
A few weeks ago I was bowling some practice games with friends. 2 pairs of lanes down were a group of youn guys, in thier twentys, using house balls and having fun. Of course, when young get those guys around, you get the inevitable throwing the ball too soon, and slamming into the gate while it is still down. Well one of these clowns not only hit the gate, but the ball deflected up, and smashed into the light. So what did the center do, kick them out? Nope, moved them down a pair, so they were right next to us. My friends complained. They did not want to bowl with these guys next to them, we knew they would have no courtesy, and are doing stupid stuff. I told my friends to use it. Use it to train yourself to block out distractions. If you can bowl next to those idiots, and block them out it can definatly help your game.

You're right, this could've been a learning experience, but if your friends are serious bowlers and are there to get some "good" practice in, then I can also understand them complaining. Sometimes there are centers that hire desk people that are "not bowlers" so they don't understand the concept of where should I put these guys and where not to put them. I have had similar experiences at our lanes, when theres maybe only 6 lanes running, I'm trying to coach someone and they put some recreational bowlers (i.e.; young kids) next to me). And it's like "Hey dumbass, what were you thinking?"

So I know the dilema. It can work both ways.

scottymoney
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I have been fortunate with what lanes I get. I don't know if I look like a serious bowler, but I think coming in to bowl alone they give me plenty of cushion between me and the "just there for fun" bowlers. Not that I am not there to have fun but I think they see me as a guy there to practice and work on things.

I think it is also common courtesy from the front desk to fill the lanes with giving everyone room until they have to start putting people next to each other. I have seen they also like to put me in front of the bar, but normally I am there just to practice and most of the time do not get drinks.

GeoLes
01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
I think Earl Woods taught his son, Tiger to focus by deliberately creating distrations at key moments. It can't hurt in bowling. Although teenagers's outrageous behavior can be a little over the top. Destructover or unsafe behaviour should be reported to the front desk, but when it comes to kids, there should be much more leeway. I often bowl next to kids who have very apologetic parents. I smile and say "no problem. Kids just want to bowl and have fun. Go ahead".

Now unsuprvised minors with fingers in ball return, or running accross the lanes is another matter...

Reminds me of Sinbad joke about the bad kid in the suupermarket acting up.

Mom runs behind little Johnny threating time out, while Johnny reaks havoc in the aisles ignoring Mom. As he runs past Sinbad, he sticks out a foot, tripping the little rascal.
The kid tumbles over.

"Time out!!"

billf
01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
When I go to practice they ask me what lane I want.
If I'm already there, they will put the good looking females next to me. They also know that I don't mind kids or birthday parties. I use it as a chance to recruit bowlers and clients. When coaching, give me plenty of room!