PDA

View Full Version : Time frame on improving your game

ssclary
01-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Personal opinions welcome:

I am wondering if there is a time frame on improving your average, creating consistency and becoming a better bowler.

Is there an amount of time that's says "I have been bowling this long and my game should be better than this" or is it too specific and more about each bowler and their abilities.

I am afraid I might plateau and that makes me nervous. I want to believe I can reach higher.
Do you have to have a coach to get there?

Sorry for the random thoughts, these are just things that I have considered lately.
Feel free to dissect my post...

Thanks in advance.

75lockwood
01-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Personal opinions welcome:

I am wondering if there is a time frame on improving your average, creating consistency and becoming a better bowler.

Is there an amount of time that's says "I have been bowling this long and my game should be better than this" or is it too specific and more about each bowler and their abilities.

I am afraid I might plateau and that makes me nervous. I want to believe I can reach higher.
Do you have to have a coach to get there?

Sorry for the random thoughts, these are just things that I have considered lately.
Feel free to dissect my post...

Thanks in advance.

Set goals for yourself!

always aim for somthing, but not necessarily to improve your scores but how you do this.
i.e

Goal:i will make 80% of my spares by February

How: bowl 3 games once a week just practicing spare shooting

setting a game plan and following through is key.

until you are bowling with a 300 average there is always room to improve, whether it be in your spare game or consistency. set goals and when you reach your goals set new goals!

Zothen
01-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Start off at the basics and work up to set goal may take anywhere from 6-12months,maybe longer/shorter. I have spent last 2yrs relearning how to bowl from basics and now I am 182(150 in 2011/12) on THS and 150(130 in 2011/12) Sport league.

Zothen

MisterSinister
01-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I think it's hard to set a timetable, but you should be able to see progress. Even if i's just a point here or there. A 2-5 point jump in average isn't as dramatic as a 10-15 point jump, but it's progress. If you stick with it, and constantly learn, you will get better. You may have a small jump, or even plateau this season, then come out next season and raise your average by 15 pins.

billf
01-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Can you improve without a coach? YES! But to do so you need to record yourself and analyze it as if it was somebody else. Myself, my average went up 30 pins this year after seeing a coach and getting some things explained to me by e-mail with Joe Slowinski.
Another thing that cuts down on the time; learning what the "old school" techniques were that are now outdated so you know what advice to ignore while remembering that there is more than one way to skin a cat. What works for another may not work for you or not work at this point in time.
Understanding the limits of you and your equipment affect the time as well. If you spend time trying to crank when you're actually a stroker, that's wasted time (other than learning to be versatile). If your ball has a speed dominant layout and you're rev dominant, that makes the time longer, etc.

J Anderson
01-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Plateaus and even regressions are normal events any time a human being decides to improve. This may apply even to superheros like The Iceman and The Dude. Major changes often cause a temporary drop in averages. Mentally and physically we can be very different from one day to the next. If you were to look at graphs of averages by week and saw one that had no dips or level spots I would almost garantee that the data were false.

When you seem to get stuck and can't improve any more there are several things to try:
Get an outside opinion, i.e. a coach or a bowling friend who can look at your game and suggest ways to improve.
Shake things up, try a different practice routine.
Work on the mental part of the game.
Take a break, Stay away from the game for at least 2 weeks and come back with a fresh attitude.

Hammer
01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I have been bowling on this league for 26 years. It is a church league that bowls every other Saturday on a THS pattern. My highest average in that time was a 190. Now that I got into my 60s with hip and knee problems it seems like my bowling average started going down. I am at a 166. Can't complain because I don't practice like I use to when I had the 190 average. I still like bowling anyway because it is fun for me. Maybe I can make it back up to at least a 170 average. My highest game on league night in 2012 was a 225. So sometimes I still have a good game in me but not as often.

ssclary
01-02-2013, 02:09 AM
I want to thank all those who read my post and especially those who responded. I am too hard on myself sometimes and I feel like I should be at least doing a drive by in 300's neighborhood. I have been bowling a little over 12 months. My best league game was a 241. When i step back and look how I have gone from a 120 to a 170 league average in that 12 months, I am happy with that and know that I have improved my game. I feel like I have plateaued like I said before. I am not taking lessons or having anyone watch me/critique me. That's probably my next step. Again thanks for the advice and opinions, much appreciated.

I also have to remind myself that the best bowler I personally know has never had a 300 and I have seen him string 9 in a row together a few times.

scottymoney
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
I have to keep reminding myself that it takes time. My goal is to carry a 200 average next year in league. At this point I am nowhere near my goal. 155 average now and have been bowling at a 174 average for the last month.

My biggest problem is consistent shot making. I have trouble repeating shots, and can not string anything together.

Just keep reminding yourself it takes time!