PDA

View Full Version : New ball, my release is terrible, help!

Bendial
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi Guys,

I got my ball last night, DV8 Misfit, drilled fingertip style. This is my first ball, and I've only played on conventionally drilled house balls before. Anyway, I think I got two "accidental" strikes last night out of 3 games lol. My release was absolutely horrendous with the fingertip grip. I think the place where I struggle most is in my backswing, I feel like I have to bend my thumb a little and grip really tight to not drop the ball behind me, and as such, with my thumb bent the release is awful and I get this suctiony pop and my hand naturally wants to curve over the ball and let it go that way (like I'm dropping it). I'm wondering if it's the way its drilled (the thumb feels pretty tight, but people keep telling me you want it that way. the finger tips feel perfect) but since its my first ball I really don't have the experience to know if/where tweaks need to happen. When I put my thumb in straight, not bent, it slides in and out with no problem. I'm sure my form is terrible too and I could probably use some lessons. The other thing I'm thinking is that the ball is just too heavy (14lb) and I can't handle it with the fingertip grip. My fingers and wrist are pretty sore today.

Thoughts?

Cochese
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
You are learning to use new muscles with a fingertip grip, so it will take some time and your wrist will be sore for sure. I used to get the "popping" feeling too, but as my wrist strengthened and my form improved, it doesn't happen any more. A few weeks of practice will make a huge difference.

As far as getting a feel for the right type of release, the best comparison I have hear is throwing a football with a spiral underhanded. I am sure some of our coaches on here can give you a more techinical and useful description and instructions, but for me personally, throwing a football underhand is what really clicked for me to understand.

Timing is another big factor on getting the release down too, another thing that will come with practice too

Below is a link to a foul line drill you can try that won't put as much pressure on your wrist as a full swing to get a better feel for the release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah2LUI4Y0nU

75lockwood
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
You are using muscles you never used before, and it will be soar, it will feel very strange after such a long time bowling conventional, you will feel like your going to drop the ball every time, but it is imperative not the squeeze the ball, you won't drop it (most of the time lol). The best plan i can think of is not worrying about hooking the ball right now, keep your hand behind the ball through the release and just work on getting used to that motion, once your comfortable then you can work on axis rotation.

do you have a camera available? if so record yourself bowling and post the video here, it will make helping you a lot easier.

jbeck
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Like the other guys said...it's new for you so practice is the only way to get use to it. I just started with my first fingertip ball back in November and let me tell you, I thought my 13# ball was too heavy and my wrist hurt something awful to where I had to take a week off bowling and popping ibuprofens cause I didn't want to stop. Now almost 3 months later I feel very slight, if any soreness in my wrist and I'm sure my wrist muscles have strengthen. Just keep at it. Also watch a lot of the suggested videos if you're serious.

Bendial
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys. I think the best thing to do is probably get an instructor and take a few lessons. Any advice on how to find a good one? I didn't see any on craigslist.

Cochese
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
www.bowl.com has a link to find coaches. Otherwise go to your local center and see if they have someone or can recommend someone.

75lockwood
01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
www.bowl.com has a link to find coaches. Otherwise go to your local center and see if they have someone or can recommend someone.

Just to add, the proshop where you got the ball might be a good place to start, i don't think i've found a pro shop yet that doesn't coach as well.

e-tank
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
For mine i do grip it with my thumb up until the point of release at which i relax the thumb and let the ball come off. Also for me i needed to keep my hand flat(palm up) and get lift on the ball then rotate it otherwise id just spin it like a dradle down the lane.

Zothen
01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Ask the pro shop you got ball from if they give lessons and what they charge. You can also ask the bowling alley if they can recommend some one.

Zothen

billf
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
You don't need to grip with the thumb. The base of the thumb is used for balance. Squeeze with the fingers, including index finger to put pressure from the ball to the pads of the palm (just below where the fingers protrude). Gripping not only causes late timing, yanks left and all that but a severe callous on the knuckle. The tighter the thumb the less tendency bowler's have to want to grip.

I find the squeezing with the index finger helps me keep my hand under the ball and get a smoother release onto the lane. Tampabay Bob and I both use this style so if you don't understand how or why or need any further explaination, just ask.

Tampabaybob
01-10-2013, 07:59 AM
You're right Bill, sods like he's not staying under the ball. Keep your thumb at 1:00 and leave it there all the way thru your delivery. You should be turning the ball with JUST your wrist and fingers. Your thumb is there only to help hang onto the ball and guide it through the swing.

Tampabaybob
01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Sorry, the computer can't spell worth a darn...should be ... "sounds like"

Bendial
01-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Great advice, thank you guys! That's definitely the problem is I'm still trying to use my fingers to hold the ball like on a conventional house ball lol and I'm not using my hand to hold the weight on the backswing. I'll work on keeping my hand under the ball. Right now it's kind of hard because I don't have the strength in my wrist and fingers to keep all that weight up, but like anything just takes time and practice I guess.

panbanger
01-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I had a similar problem after a few years of using house balls, then getting a ball drilled for my hand. It was a conventional grip but the thumb was much more snug than what you find in a house ball. I was so used to gripping the ball on my backswing that my thumb got really tore up with my new ball. I worked on the problem of my grip and then maybe a month or 2 later went with a fingertip grip. I found the transition quite easy.

I'm guessing that the main problem is you are trying to grip the ball too much, and perhaps wrist and hand strength is less of an issue.