PDA

View Full Version : Storm Rolling Thunder 3 Ball Roller (Picture Review)

ArtVandelay
01-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Sorry for the new thread. There's another thread about this bag, and one of our members asked me for a review. I wanted to do a good review for you guys, so I took some pictures and wrote some stuff only to find out I am only allowed 4 pictures per post. So I decided to just start a new thread and try to put these posts in an order that makes sense.

Here we go!

I'll admit, I'm not easily impressed by most things. Especially when it's something like this, where the test of time is the only true indicator of an items quality. But my first impressions of the Storm Rolling Thunder 3 ball roller are pretty positive.

One thing I was NOT impressed with were the lack of photos on the internet for this bag. Most lacking were the pictures of the interior of the bag. To remedy that situation I've decided to do a picture review and include my thoughts. Here it goes!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/64578_10200448714408863_1427697449_n.jpg
This picture is the first I took and how the bag looks straight out of the box. The Storm logo is embroidered, as are all the markings on the bag. There is one metal Storm badge on a pocket. This badge was listed on the websites as a selling point. I don't understand why.

Overall, the fabric seems strong enough. It has a bit of a plastic kind of feel on the outside. Im no fabric expert, so I couldnt tell you what it is... You can see how the flash kind of makes the bag look shiny, thats because of the fabric. I dont think it will be a problem, and I actually feel like that kind of material might be useful in helping the interior stay dry during rainy days.
It appears to have multiple layers on the compartments, and Im satisfied with most of the stitching. It appears they double stitched almost everything. I think the fabric and stitching will stand the test of time. There is ONE place Im concerned about (over time, i feel the stitching can fail in one area), and we will get to that later.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/285147_10200448714328861_84927878_n.jpg
This is the bags interior. There are dividers to protect the bowling balls from bouncing against each other, as well as a clear plastic arm designed to go over the top of each ball and hold it in place during transit. The plastic fastens with velcro, and is fairly thick.
I do feel like the sides of the bowling ball compartment could have been reinforced better than they were. On my Ebonite bag the sides were almost hard. On this bag, the sides are not as well reinforced, and that may prove detrimental to its longevity.
On the right side of this picture, you'll notice zippers. We will revisit that later.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/14982_10200448714168857_1193181008_n.jpg
Here's a close up of the plastic arm. While the plastic is fairly thick, I do have doubts as to how long it will last. My concern is the stitching along the sides more than the plastic itself. It fastens to the bag using velcro, and you can see the velcro strip it attaches to on the bottom right of the picture. That velcro strip goes along the entire bag.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/14958_10200448713688845_1545412233_n.jpg
Pockets are in no short supply. There are two pockets on the side, two larger ones on the cover, and one on the top by the handle. If any complaint is to be made about the pockets it's their current state. The flimsy nature, combined with the stiff fabric and lack of structure, makes it difficult to operate the zipper (especially around the corners). I have confidence the fabric will break in over time, and this will not be an issue.
On the pocket to the right, you will notice the metal Storm logo badge which Storm lists as a selling point. I hope that helps you feel better about spending your $122(ish).

ArtVandelay
01-09-2013, 08:08 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/22222_10200448713848849_898845521_n.jpg
Yuck... Out of focus. Sorry about that. Anyway... In that first picture you will remember the zippers. This is the same inside of the bag. At first, when I saw those zippers I only saw the top one and assumed that was the shoe compartment. I was a little upset and thought that was a very odd way of doing things until I realized there are zippers on BOTH sides of the cover. I'm quite happy with that and think it's a nice touch! In this picture I have unzipped both so you can see clearly through the shoe compartment. The bottom storage unit does this as well.
To clarify: you can reach your shoe compartment and main storage compartment either with the top open or closed. There are zippers on both sides for added convenience. I would have been happy if the zippers were only on the outside, I would have been annoyed if the zippers were only on the inside, but Im pleasantly surprised and pleased to find you have an option of opening those compartments either way!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/25958_10200448713448839_623966604_n.jpg
Here is a picture of my shoes in the shoe compartment. I wear a men's size 11, and the shoes fit quite comfortably. While they look tight in this picture, the sides of the compartment offer some flexibility, and I think fitting a larger pair in there wouldn't be a problem.
The shoe compartment also has two ventilation pieces sewn into the side (which can be seen clearly in the 3rd post that has the bag standing straight to show you the angle). I do not feel like two are sufficient. I would have preferred more ventilation. On one hand, less ventilation keeps the smell on the inside, but it also doesnt give as much air to dry the shoes quickly. Two more on the other side could have been a good thing. Perhaps 6? I dunno... Im sure its by design, and maybe Im the only one whose feet tend to sweat in 100+ degree Texas weather.
On one of our threads, I remember someone asked a question about a bag that can fit TWO pairs of shoes. I don't think this one could, in the shoe compartment, BUT if the second pair of shoes are small enough, I do think the bottom compartment could be an option if you work it right.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/734863_10200448714088855_642978050_n.jpg
Here is a picture of my bowling balls in the bag (and The Fonz, who is quite interested in my new toy). Not much to see... I have always used my towels to wrap up my bowling balls and provide a little extra protection to them during transit (and a tighter fit to prevent movement). This was no problem at all. They are in there snug, and I don't feel like they would be in any real danger during reasonable transport.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/486313_10200448713928851_1748024669_n.jpg
Here is a picture of the wheels. They are a soft, clear, rubber and roll very smoothly. The bearings spin freely, and the base is at least a few inches wider than my 2 ball roller I used to have. I am VERY happy with this, and the soft rubber wheels were one of the strongest selling points when I decided to purchase this bag. My old 2 ball Ebonite Grand Tour had larger (oversized) wheels and that made a difference, BUT they were still that hard plastic and made for a difficult roll at times. These wheels are slightly larger than those on my 2 ball Ebonite bag, and I anticipate the material used will make a substantial difference over the hard plastic wheels I hate.

ArtVandelay
01-09-2013, 08:09 PM
So are there any complaints? We shall see! The most important thing, to me, is how it stands the test of time. I do not want to purchase another bowling bag for at least 5 years. I hope this will last me the rest of my life, if that's even possible!

My biggest complaint, so far, is how it stands:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/321492_10200448713608843_854880968_n.jpg
It stands at quite an angle, and can be tipped over if nudged. The smallest of nudges will probably not make it tip, but my dog did bump into it from the side and it sent it over. I do wish it was more stable. I think Storm could have taken off a half inch (or so) on the supporting arms down bottom and a slightly more upright position could have solved this problem. This MAY become a factor as time progresses, if I'm constantly finding it tipping over. Right now, it's simply a concern more than a problem.

Do I regret my purchase? Not as of yet. On first impressions, I am actually pleasantly surprised on the whole.
How would I rate it? Get back to me in about 5 years!

billf
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Nice review!

steven408
01-10-2013, 01:23 AM
why not try to sand a little bit off?

Brother_jd
01-10-2013, 01:31 AM
This is a very nice review.

ArtVandelay
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
why not try to sand a little bit off?

I would drive myself crazy trying to do that... Im a bit of a perfectionist, especially when it comes to new stuff (and even MORE especially if I deem the item to be expensive, which I do...). By the time Id be done sanding, there might be nothing left. Hahaha. Id want it to be as close to perfect and level as possible. But if it keeps tipping, I might just have to do that.

Perrin
01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Awesome review. Thank you.

The only concern I could see with sanding that down to make it stand taller is that it looks like at that angle you could open it and not have the balls fall out.
But if it were much more vertical I think the balls would roll out when you open it.

Cochese
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Great review. I have the 2-ball version in the red/white and I have been very happy with it too. The 3-ball looks even nicer and makes me wish I would have gotten it instead.

75lockwood
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I think the picture host took down your pictures :(

ArtVandelay
01-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Crap... Ill try to find time to get them back up. They still show up for me, though. I must have cookies saved or something.

ArtVandelay
01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
I cleared my history and cookies and the pics are still up. Anyone else having these issues?

billf
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I can see them

Brother_jd
01-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I cant see them any more either.

ArtVandelay
01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
I just updated the picture links. I never lost the ability to see them, so someone else will have to tell me if the problem is fixed.

Also feel free to let me know if you want a picture of anything else.

Brother_jd
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Art,

Pics are back. Also can you do a follow up in about 3 or 4 months talking about durability?

ArtVandelay
01-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks forletting me know.

Sure I can do a follow up. To me, durability would mean years, not months, though. Im pretty gentle on my bags, I dont forsee any problems unless the bag is garbage.

americantrotter
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
That is an awesome review, thanks. What a great idea.

vikingbowler88
01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Great Review!! I'm ready to get a 3 ball roller its between this on or the DV8! Probably will go with DV8 only cause my whole arsenal will be DV8 :)!

ArtVandelay
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Great Review!! I'm ready to get a 3 ball roller its between this on or the DV8! Probably will go with DV8 only cause my whole arsenal will be DV8 :)!

...meh.

A guy in our league has a DV8 3 ball and im not too impressed.

But I also have very little brand loyalty. I dont own anything from Storm except the bag. I felt it would be the best bag for my needs. So far, im happy with my decision.

americantrotter
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
My roller is a Brunswick and I havent rolled a Brunswick since before I bought the bag. It was just the right price and color. (85.00 and purple) As brand aware as I am, it didnt matter for the roller.

vikingbowler88
01-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Anything is going to be better than my TranSport that I have now. I guess I'm brand loyal... I would feel weird having a whole arsenal of DV8 balls then rolling up in a Storm bag. lol

ArtVandelay
01-17-2013, 11:23 PM
My roller is a Brunswick and I havent rolled a Brunswick since before I bought the bag. It was just the right price and color. (85.00 and purple) As brand aware as I am, it didnt matter for the roller.

Exactly! hahahahaha. I just buy what I think will be the best bag for my needs, at the price I'm willing to pay. I don't care what it says on it (well... within reason, but i'm pretty sure the types of words I would shy away from would never be on a bowling bag anyway!), as long as it works well for my needs. I think this Storm fits the bill, even though it's the only thing I own that is Storm.

Anything is going to be better than my TranSport that I have now. I guess I'm brand loyal... I would feel weird having a whole arsenal of DV8 balls then rolling up in a Storm bag. lol

I think that is fine. I believe there's a HUGE mental aspect to bowling, and a lot of that confidence comes from the equipment. Even a bowling bag. If you feel good rolling a bag in, and you're confident with what you have, then I think your game can reflect that. I support you buying the bag you want. If you can't be happy with your purchase, then you're wasting your money, and if a DV8 bag will make you happier about transporting your DV8 balls, then you should absolutely do it!

I know that when my Storm bag came in, I was really excited to see it on my doorstep. I was happy to get it out, I was happy to take pictures of it, and I was happy to post this review. It still makes me happy. New stuff is always exciting! hahahaha. I know I couldn't wait to bring it into the bowling alley. But eventually that newness will wear off, and it will only be a bowling bag. At that point, I want to be confident I bought the right one.

Now... If there are any bowling companies out there, I want to make something VERY clear: I would LOVE to be brand loyal to you!!! Just let me know how much you plan to pay me in a PM, and I'll send you my mailing address. Once that cheque has cleared the bank, I will rock whatever you want me to use/wear!!!

hahahahahahahahaha.

J Anderson
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Personally I'd love the irony of seeing some one open up a storm bag and pulling out an arsenal of some other brand of bowling balls. There again I probably have seen it happen without paying attention.

billf
01-18-2013, 07:10 PM
I have a Roto-Grip 4 ball roller and not a single Roto-Grip ball. It's filled with DV8s. The Storm balls go in a cheap KR two ball roller that fits nicely on top of the four ball roller (when needed).

vikingbowler88
01-19-2013, 03:59 PM
I know it shouldn't' matter what bowling bag I have but I like to keep it all in the family!! I love DV8 and their products and might as well support them by getting everything from them

cane
01-19-2013, 04:02 PM
I would, but not a fan of the pattern on their bags at all...

vikingbowler88
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I dig the pattern! Fits my style

cibolodave
10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Very awesome review. how's it holding up?