PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Marauder drill

Fishhawk
01-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Hey gang. Seeing so many Mauraders here I thought I'd post my drill. Does this look right to you?

The action is very late breaking, throwing on 2nd arrow on left side. It runs straight mostly with a gradual drift into the pocket. Just looking for a sanity check that this is typical for the Marauder. Next opportunity will post a video of the action. Any thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Dan
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff505/fishhawk1650/image_zps764873e8.jpg
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff505/fishhawk1650/image_zpscf506da4.jpg

billf
01-12-2013, 08:03 AM
The layout fits the ball and the ball is going as designed. It was designed for a late break so what you're getting is expected. The layout could have been slightly different to give a sharper break but those tend to be a little less consistent. If that's what you want though, then a balance hole will help (as ling as the ball will still be legal for weight).

Fishhawk
01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
That's great news! Thank very much for confirming. I couldn't be happier with this ball. After reading the drill layouts on dv8's website not seeing a near match, curiosity kicked in. :-)

Fishhawk
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
The more I read about PAP and importance of it for drilling new balls, I'm revisiting this drill layout. My pro shop driller was recommended by a dozen bowlers in my league so I went without question.

This drill was done without a PAP measurement so I'm guessing this is a typical left handed drill using a generic PAP. I'm starting to wonder if this could have done more optimal or not. The track line is very low (2-3 inches below thumb hole) but I'm not really certain what that means regarding having high vs low track line. The track line is also about 1.5-2 inches wide. This is after a month of using the ball without a deep cleaning. Naturally, my technique has improved over the last month and I wonder if that's due to me adjusting to the ball or was the ball going to do what it was going to do anyways while I'm improving my approach and throw.

If I were to get a new ball, would this track line be beneficial for a new drill or does this track line the results of having this drill layout? I'm trying to understand the mechanics of pin placement, PAP and optimal drill location. I have no reason at all to doubt my driller. After reading several posts here and youtube instructional videos, it seems PAP is the initial basis to begin to understand best drill placement and this wasn't done for this ball. I certainly am not placing my faults or wins on this drill placement, rather I want to ensure I'm not picking up bad habits unintentionally as a result of the drill.

Any thoughts you have on this are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

75lockwood
01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Out of curiosity, what's your average?

Having your pap taken into account when drilling a ball is important for getting the most out of the ball, that being said, for a new bowler who averages low, there are many more important factors than worrying about the layout. if you can't hit your target consistently working on that is more important than worrying about if the layout is a bit off due to incorrect pap measurements.

Fishhawk
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
My league average last week was 129 and have been have been 10-20 pins over my average consistently for the last couple weeks. My typical line is 2nd arrow and short of dropping the ball or blatent arm cross, it has been fairly consistent however my spares are very hot and cold. I see my share of [9-]
I agree, my technique is the largest factor here, which leads to studying and practicing for better technique, which introduced me to the PAP measurement :-)

ZRock
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
With where your game is currently at I wouldn't worry about things like pap... Work on getting that average closer to 200 before being too concerned with the technical things. Spares spares spares!!!