PDA

View Full Version : ball polish

sukeetoshyoo88
01-13-2013, 04:28 AM
so, went bowling after a month break.
i had previously had my versa max taking to a 2000 grit finish,
at first i was throwing at the third arrow, and by the 3rd game i was throwing gutter to gutter, and still brooklyning.
i figured i'd try asking the pro-shop to give it some polish, and on the 4th game i was back throwing at the 3rd arrow.
wow, i didn't think that ball surface would make that much of a difference.
so glad i did that instead of trying to purchase a weaker ball.

billf
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
As long as you're happy. Now when you actually bowl a league or any other time that there's actually a drop of oil on the lanes you will be wondering why the ball won't move at all.

e-tank
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
As long as you're happy. Now when you actually bowl a league or any other time that there's actually a drop of oil on the lanes you will be wondering why the ball won't move at all.

Agreed. I was partially in the lane next to me throwing gutter to gutter again last night just to try and hit the pocket. This is dry conditions however, in league or fresh oil, i play straight up 2nd or 3rd arrow

sukeetoshyoo88
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
im hoping to join a league this year, if i can get a few people to join with me.
but i do have a nexxus for heavier oil patters that's drilled somewhat conservative.
and i have a alpha max that has not yet been drilled yet.

playing 2nd arrow, is really hard for me.
maybe i can use this as a chance to practice.

GeoLes
01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
I have similar experience on weekends at my local lanes. The lanes are usually pretty dry, as they cater to parties and fun bowlers who don't care obout oil. Then I take a conservative ball, roll with minimum hook, and bowl down an in from second arrow, moving left as needed. Went to a high-end lane this weekend and all lanes were well oiled. I was able to roll more easily. A much better session.

Bottom line is I learn from both lanes, how to handle drier conditions and how to fine tune on good oil.

got_a_300
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Bottom line is I learn from both lanes, how to handle drier conditions and how to fine tune on good oil.
That is one of the main things to learn to becoming a good / better bowler and
that is how to handle different lane conditions from a set of Sahara Desert bone
dry lanes to Noah's Ark flooded lanes.

GeoLes
01-17-2013, 10:51 AM
I roll an Ultimax and I recently cleaned and polished it. I used it in league Monday night and found that, while finding the pocket, it tended to go a tad long. My solution: start 1/2 step more forward in the approach with shorter steps and slower delivery. Laser targetted the pocket. Problem was when I got excited, I tended to overthrow the ball, so I switched out to Storm Lucid. I can unleash that ball down lane all day and it will always perform. So the right ball for the right lane conditions, but adjustments can be made to make a less-than perfect ball work.