PDA

View Full Version : DV8 Brutal Nightmare Bowling Ball Reaction Video Review - By bowlingball.com

BowlingBoards.com
01-14-2013, 01:04 PM
http://youtu.be/6FNZy2-tqr4

Your opponents thought the Nightmare was over, but this new one is BRUTAL! There will be no sleep in their near future when you throw the DV8 Brutal Nightmare!

vikingbowler88
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
This ball looks Amazing!! Might be to much ball for me though :(!

striker12
01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
this ball is defiantly on the wishlist with like 50 other balls

Davec13
01-14-2013, 08:38 PM
If these balls get anymore hook on them lanes are gonna have to start being shaped like the nike symbol. :o

billf
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Now even people with no revs or axis rotation can hook half the lane

billf
01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Dave, how many of these do you think we will see on THS by low rev, low speed, no hook players? Hook in a box!

Davec13
01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Dave, how many of these do you think we will see on THS by low rev, low speed, no hook players? Hook in a box!

I was kind of thinking the same thing. They'll be everywhere. I wouldn't mind getting one, but there is only one house I shoot at that I would probably ever be able to use the ball on. I'm probably gonna go ahead and pick up the misfit pearl though as I'll be able to throw that everywhere.

75lockwood
01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
The Ball Looks awesome, or should i say Brutal! would love to try it, but doubt i would want it in my bag, just to nasty lol.

eugene02
01-16-2013, 04:32 AM
by seeing how much curlie's ball is hooking, you should know how strong the ball is.. Sick colors combination! brings out the feel to get it.. but.. not another heavy oil ball for me!

maximumslinky
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
i went to buy this ball and they had sold the last one so they had to order it so it wont be here until tuesday. it will be a miracle if i watch this video less than 50 times between now and then.

mxjosh
02-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I've seen this in action. Its not as aggressive as the Nightmare. Very smooth. The guy throwing it is a dv8 staff member and is very good at projecting the ball downlane and it reacted very well on THS. I dont think I could throw it. I have a tendency to get the ball in a hook too early.

zman1974
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
I am considering the Brutal Nightmare for a complement to my Marauder. I figure that I can either go with this ball, the Madness, or the HR Revenge for my heavy oil ball, the Marauder for benchmark/medium oil, and the Misfit Pearl for dry, and have a killer arsenal. I am a stroker with medium speed and revs. Thoughts?

billf
02-26-2013, 10:23 PM
I am considering the Brutal Nightmare for a complement to my Marauder. I figure that I can either go with this ball, the Madness, or the HR Revenge for my heavy oil ball, the Marauder for benchmark/medium oil, and the Misfit Pearl for dry, and have a killer arsenal. I am a stroker with medium speed and revs. Thoughts?

Go with whichever one you want. I've seen the Brutal Nightmare and Revenge thrown by Strokers with average revs and 14 mph speed with some success (they all say they love their ball). I own two HRR and love them on heavy oil. I'm a tweener with speed around 18-21 mph and 410 rev rate though.

noeymc
02-27-2013, 12:09 AM
ill take a hook in the box =D ill throw down the 2nd arrow and see what it does =D ( i am a low rev high speed player lol )

Perrin
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
guy here won a ball from the local shop in a raffle and picked the brutal nightmare

I would call him a stroker. 14 mph with 150-200 revs and he gets good movement from the ball and great pin carry.

maximumslinky
02-28-2013, 10:28 AM
mine finally showed up last night (over a week late). i have tomorrow off so i will get to throw a few games with it before friday night league. idk why but i was super super excited about this one.

zman1974
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
i would be interested in what you think of the BN compared to the HRR. I am considering both, but leaning towards the BN.

Big Nick
03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
I won this ball in a raffle, and my driller suggested a pin-down layout so it would be a little different from my other two balls (I wish I could tell you the specs for the layout, but I just don't know). My typical shot is around 13.5 mph and I have an average amount of revs, and so far I'm loving this ball. I don't have to put any hand in it at all to get it to turn. My other balls are going to be staying in the bag for a while!

mxjosh
03-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Incorrect per bill....removed to save space

billf
03-29-2013, 09:16 PM
My coach (dv8 staffer), says the line up would be:

Nightmare
Revenge
Brutal Nightmare
Terror
Hell Raiser
Madness
Diva
Marauder
Reckless
Too Reckless
Misfit Green
Misfit Pink
Misfit Orange
Misfit Pearl

If you posted this accurately then I would request proof of his being a DV8 staffer. First, the green, orange and magenta Misifts are the same ball with different color options. Second, there isn't a pink Misfit. Third, the Marauder is rated for medium to light which is below either Reckless. Fourth, the Terror is below the Revenge.
Of course, all this info is readily available on DV8's website so this guy obviously couldn't even be bothered checking the correct info before spewing false information.

mxjosh
03-30-2013, 03:39 AM
magenta is pink..lol

And yes, the different colors changed the strength of the ball slightly.
I've owned both orange and green. There's a difference. green is the strongest of the colors.

guess I gotta take what you saying with a grain of salt. lol

I own the Marauder, it is NOT a light oil ball regardless of what it is rated at. I use it to play inside on Route 66...45ft oil pattern.
Too Reckless is not stronger than the Marauder at all. It is very mellow when thrown back to back with maruader. Reckless is similar to the Too Reckless, just slightly more angular.
The Terror is weaker than the revenge per my list. not sure what u getting at??

I've seen him throw all of them. he knows what he is talking about.

billf
03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
The magenta looks more like a dark purple to me rather than pink.
Were the two Misfits you threw drilled the same and thrown on the same lane with the same pattern on the same night? Seriously, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure among other stuff can affect reaction from day to day. The more consistent the bowler the less affect slight changes will have.

I read your post wrong with the Revenge and Terror. Evidently you read mine wrong also as I never said Marauder was a light oil ball. Medium to light oil is not the same as light oil.

As for which is stronger, I guess that depends on what you consider "stronger". To me, it's the amount of oil the ball can handle while still maintaining it's designed characteristics. Using that criteria, my Reckless is stronger than my Marauder. However, the Marauder has a stronger angle off the break point.

As for using the Marauder to play Route 66 inside, that's exactly what Kegel suggests on that pattern http://www.kegel.net/V3/PatternLibraryPattern.aspx?ID=601

I've used every DV8 ball extensively with the same layout with the exception of the Brutal Nightmare. Given how much a layout can affect ball reaction, with different layouts on a THS these balls could all be almost interchangeable depending on the bowler's style.

I will say, this is the first time I've ever heard anybody suggest that the pigment used for the coloring will affect a ball's reaction.

billf
03-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I just had to check. I was correct. Magenta is a purple, not a pink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta

mxjosh
03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
2nd opinion?

"Orange and Blue is the smoothest and weakest of all the Misfits. Yellow and Magenta is the earliest and strongest, and Green and White is the longest and most angular."
Bryan Bannach
DV8 Regional Staff Member

I don't get your insistence on the pink/magenta thing to prove a DV8 staff member wrong...but whatever helps your argument to yourself.

(Pic removed to save space)

Pay attention to Mike Machuga's review of the reckless and marauder.
http://youtu.be/7wQHn3oY4Lo
With your nitpicking on inconsequential terms I will leave it alone after this post.

billf
03-30-2013, 10:08 PM
With your nitpicking on inconsequential terms I will leave it alone after this post.

So people posting/saying/perpetuating false information is inconsequential? Do you have an e-mail address for this source? I'm seriously curious how the same core, cover, filler, etc except the coloring pigment affects the ball's reaction.

billf
03-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I just watched the video again and paid attention to what Machuga said. Now being a knowledgeable and educated person I understand that they are comparing these balls on a THS. Yes, the Marauder has a stronger back end reaction. There, now I've said it at least twice in this thread. Now use the Reckless and the Marauder on a real pattern, like the Brunswick. Which ball will retain more if it's original characteristics? The Marauder will still have a sharp break point. Too bad it will be too far way that it will hit the 3-6 light. The Reckless, on the same pattern thrown right after, will be more controlled (as designed) and hit the 3-6 a bit heavy.
What's it prove? Nothing really. It's just a real comparison that wouldn't necessarily translate to every bowler. In my opinion, the Marauder is a better fit for more people I've seen bowl than the Reckless. I personally don't really like the Too Reckless as much but have seen several people who like that one better than the Reckless or Marauder.

billf
03-30-2013, 10:32 PM
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/billf99/DV8_Balls_Misfit_Magenta-Yellow_Image_zps1cae13eb.png

Why does my pic of the magenta Misfit have more of a purple hue than yours? By the pics, we could both be correct and wrong at the same time.

mxjosh
03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
My real ball pic vs your rendering pic. You can't research something as simple as this?

billf
03-30-2013, 11:04 PM
The pic is straight off the DV8 website. I did research it. That was where wiki said magenta is a purple hue, not pink, as well as several other sources including paint samples. Maybe you should actually do some real ball reaction research yourself instead of regurgitating what others tell you.

mxjosh
03-30-2013, 11:12 PM
You are arguing that the DV8 rendering is what the ball really looks like?
If you are really a bowlerx staff member, have them help ya out.
Idk how not to laugh at this.

billf
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
According to what you've posted you have a good game and in a short period of time. Don't take things people say as the truth for all just because they managed to get on staff with a company (me included) as what works in a certain condition for one bowler will not necessarily work for another.
You're being defensive of a friend and that I can respect on principle.

I'm still curious how color alone can affect the balls reaction? Was how this is even possible said to you?

Brother_jd
03-30-2013, 11:22 PM
http://www.bowlingball.com/CompareProducts.php?ItemsInCompare=3

Maybe that can shed some light on the subject.

3 balls with the same cover, core, RG, diff, ball finish, perfect scale(take this for what its worth) will have a diff reaction just because it is a different color seems kind of fishy. That is like saying my sons Purple T-Zone will hook more than my pink one.( I know T-Zones are a plastic ball).

mxjosh
03-30-2013, 11:49 PM
According to what you've posted you have a good game and in a short period of time. Don't take things people say as the truth for all just because they managed to get on staff with a company (me included) as what works in a certain condition for one bowler will not necessarily work for another.
You're being defensive of a friend and that I can respect on principle.

I'm still curious how color alone can affect the balls reaction? Was how this is even possible said to you?

I simply gave a list of a dv8 staff members impressions based on his observations of his own equipment. You attacked first by saying u question him being a dv8 staff member if he has an opinion on what he thinks is stronger. Then without ever seeing a real misfit for yourself, argue about color?

He's respected in my bowling circles. He is the reason I'm where I am so quickly. Perhaps had u just disagreed with his impressions we wouldn't be here but u decided to insult him.

Here is Brunswick on color differences.
http://above180.com/dv8-damn-good-bowling-balls-by-brunswick

RoccoRock
03-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Just curious, if all of the Misfits are different, then why does DV8 have only one listing of the Misfit? Also, all of there stats are identical for each color Misfit, including the DV8 hook rating. If they were all different, wouldn't they have separate listings? I would think if they were all different, they would say it so they can try and sell people one of each. Maybe someone was trying to sell you one of each by telling you they are all different, and you need one of each.

billf
03-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Then without ever seeing a real misfit for yourself, argue about color?

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s413/billf99/misfit_zpsa102a577.jpg

I believe this IS a real Misfit. I can also take a pic of the receipt too. I bought the Misfit, Reckless and two Revenge's the day the Revenge was released. Since I've added the Terror, Marauder, Too Reckless and Hell Raiser.

I read the article and listened to the interview. Although Bill said the color technology used on DV8's balls helps create more friction at no time did he say the different color would affect ball reaction. He did say one was orange and blue with the other being pink and magenta. That's right, he said pink and magenta instead of yellow and magenta. Overall it was a good interview although I don't know what you were intending by having me listen to it as it didn't substantiate either of our arguments.

billf
03-31-2013, 11:32 AM
If your coach is the same guy whose name you gave then he is on DV8's regional pro staff. Did I question what he said? Yes, as you posted it, especially with the Misfits being different by color. I still say the only way they would be different by any measurable amount would be if they were drilled different. And maybe that is the case, that each color is drilled different to make it easier and quicker for him to tell which layout he is using/grabbing. That could all be an issue derived from interpretation of what is written. Maybe part of why I question is coupled with it was, there are so many bowlers who claim to be on staff with different companies or USE TO be on the PBA tour. Most of the time these people are full of crap. I had a pro shop owner tell me he was on the tour in the 80s until an achilles injury ended his career. I believed him. Then a real ex-tour player was on here and told me how to verify it. Turns out this shop owner competed in two regionals. Far cry from a touring pro. And this is a guy I like although I don't use his shop. Maybe all the lies I've been told over the years has made me too jaded.
However, magenta is still a hue of purple and not pink. The fact that yours looks so pink just shows that your paint had more of the required red or less of the required blue to truly be magenta. Wouldn't be the first time a batch of balls was made with the shade of color being off. Years ago you could buy balls like that as X-outs at a huge discount. Once ball companies saw the people would still buy and use these they just put them out as first quality items.

mxjosh
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
That's an orange and blue misfit. Proves only that you STILL haven't seen the yellow pink misfit. That pic is not my pink misfit. The one my wife had looked the same. Which is why Ik it's the real ball. I've seen a number of pink misfits. None look like the dv8 rendering u are stuck on.

You can be jaded all u want til u direct it at me. I will respond every time. u judge before checking on a subject. U judge people u dont even know. The regional staff member is not some one Ik as stated as a "2nd opinion" but u obviously too jaded to pay attention.

mxjosh
03-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Rocco they were never intended to be different. A number of people have observed that they are. The covers are all the same as well as the cores. So why list it differently if the avg bowler wouldn't even notice?

Nobody sold me any misfits based on color differences. I have 1 misfit. The green and white. I gave away my orange one before the green ever came out and sold my wife's pink one. Not sure what your point is in "assuming" what I have purchased.

75lockwood
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Hello! :D

RoccoRock
03-31-2013, 01:13 PM
I never assumed that you bought anything. My point is simple, maybe someone thought they could sell you on buying 3 balls that were the same by telling you the color mattered. I never said you bought all 3, and I never assumed anything. Thank you for making it easy for me, now I don't have to assume anything about you, I just flat know it.

ecub
03-31-2013, 01:28 PM
They should have EARL throw all the different Misfits and see if there's a difference.

ecub
03-31-2013, 01:30 PM
I just realized, this got to be a big discussion regarding the Misfit, but the OP posted about the Brutal Nightmare. :eek:

mxjosh
03-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Rocco

"Maybe someone was trying to sell YOU one of each by telling YOU they are all different, and YOU need one of each."

????

I wish the topic would return back to the brutal nightmare but magenta bill is quite hung up on the misfit.

RoccoRock
03-31-2013, 03:26 PM
I have no idea what your trying to get at bro, but you are further proving what I thought about you when I started reading this thread. Good luck to you, and your DV8 rep, I have nothing further to say to you.

billf
03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
That's an orange and blue misfit. Proves only that you STILL haven't seen the yellow pink misfit. That pic is not my pink misfit. The one my wife had looked the same. Which is why Ik it's the real ball. I've seen a number of pink misfits. None look like the dv8 rendering u are stuck on.

You can be jaded all u want til u direct it at me. I will respond every time. u judge before checking on a subject. U judge people u dont even know. The regional staff member is not some one Ik as stated as a "2nd opinion" but u obviously too jaded to pay attention.

Maybe YOU should pay attention. You posted I have never seen a REAL MISFIT. WRONG! You posted a 2nd opinion BUT DID NOT SAY IT WAS A DIFFERENT GUY THAT YOUR COACH! All you did with that post was reiterate the same thing you had already posted. Then you posted an interview to prove your point of the colors making a difference when in fact that interview didn't mention a difference in reaction due to the colors but only in how those colors are applied to every DV8 ball.
YOU made a post that was questioned and don't have the knowledge to rightfully back up that claim. Then you have reinforced your ignorance by standing by your falsehood that magenta is pink when in fact it isn't. That's a small point really but goes to show that you can't be bothered to check any real fact but would rather blame others for your dispersement of false information.

I won't go into the science of how the colors are extracted and applied as it would obviously be well beyond your understanding but if you do ever find out how it makes a difference just by applying a different color using the same technical methods, as someone who loves physics, I would be very interested.

mxjosh
03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Happy Easter bill and Rocco. Peace out.

mike_thomas93
08-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I know it's late, but I still might get this one. With the Endless.